Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Are you preparing for 2012 at all?

I am not......YET.....

What would you do to prepare for it?
What will I do to prepare for it ? Buy a new calendar , and move on .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:07 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
It's interesting how so many folks will be the first to scoff at a 'gypsy fortune teller' or someone else who claims to be able to predict the future, yet they are the first to predict the future with these sorts of things--they just KNOW that nothing is going to happen.

I wish I had the balls to trust my abilities to predict the future either way. Let me try: I just KNOW there will not be a car crash on the roads in my county today. Yes... I feel better already. I just KNOW it isn’t going to rain in my state this week. Yes, feels great to know these things! Cool! Problem is, I don’t know them. Just like you psychics don’t.

I don't think anyone who is preparing for this knows what will happen. Maybe something, maybe nothing. But, as an earlier post states, preparing for a 'rainy day' is always a smart policy. If you folks want to get caught with your pants down in whatever sort of emergency at whatever time, then that's your business. If you want to put all your eggs in someone else’s basket, cool. Whatever. There's always FEMA and they have a great track record. IF anything like that happens (not saying it will or it won't; I'm not a psychic), you'll simply die. Lots of people would. But having something to eat at the time is better than not having something to eat. No?

Can any of you say that there has never been a disaster, natural or otherwise, on this planet? Didn't think so.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
What will I do to prepare for it ? Buy a new calendar , and move on .
Yes, I plan on buying a new calendar. I don't EXPECT anything to happen.

But let me ask you this. Statistically speaking, there is always a chance that a 'bad thing' can happen at any given time. And statistically speaking, given that a bad thing does happen at any given time, who has the best chance of making it through, the unprepared or the prepared?

Let's plop two people down in the middle of the desert, one with water and provisions, the other with nothing. Which of the two has a better chance of finding his/her way out of the desert? I'll bet many of you people are the type that would go hiking in the mountains with absolutely nothing. Then when you run into trouble, we see you on the news.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Are you preparing for 2012 at all?

I am not......YET.....

What would you do to prepare for it?

I feel like Rip Van Winkle waking up & not having a clue what is going on!

"galactic aliignment on December 21st 2012" now I'm even more confused

It takes a while for anything to get up here to Alaska.... Too bad I'm not back at my home above Santa Fe where people keep closer tabs on alignments of planets.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, I plan on buying a new calendar. I don't EXPECT anything to happen.

But let me ask you this. Statistically speaking, there is always a chance that a 'bad thing' can happen at any given time. And statistically speaking, given that a bad thing does happen at any given time, who has the best chance of making it through, the unprepared or the prepared?

Let's plop two people down in the middle of the desert, one with water and provisions, the other with nothing. Which of the two has a better chance of finding his/her way out of the desert? I'll bet many of you people are the type that would go hiking in the mountains with absolutely nothing. Then when you run into trouble, we see you on the news.
To start with , I'm probably better prepared for disasters than you are , considering that I live in South Louisiana . Ever heard of Hurricane Katrina ? Now , what makes the Mayan calendar , or lack of , so damn relevant ? Preparedness is one thing . Hysteria is another . Which side of the fence do you come down on ?

Old 11-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
To start with , I'm probably better prepared for disasters than you are , considering that I live in South Louisiana . Ever heard of Hurricane Katrina ? Now , what makes the Mayan calendar , or lack of , so damn relevant ? Preparedness is one thing . Hysteria is another . Which side of the fence do you come down on ?
No, hysteria is the H1N1 thing that's going on right now.

All I'm saying is that it's silly to assume nothing bad will ever happen, and it's silly not be prepared for at least the simplest of emergencies. I'm not saying you are like that, but way too many people are. And they are the ones who, when they find that no knight in shining armor is going to rescue them, will become dangerous if something does happen (at any given time).

Old 11-01-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No, hysteria is the H1N1 thing that's going on right now.
I agree with that .

Old 11-01-2009, 05:23 PM

216 posts, read 343,524 times
What some are talking about is Planet X or Nibiru . Don't know if it is headed this way or not . But i grew up having to put up our food for the winters till next planting season . Our little ice storm last winter we had no electric for 13 days .So i fried up the generator turned on the TV to see lines of people trying to buy food you had to have cash and only 15 were allowed in the store at a time 25 dollar limit on purchases .Said if you needed food go to the Fire Dept but they said the roads were closed

Well we put another log on the fire eat like we always do, no one came to help didn't need or want them here either . They cleaned out ever flash light battery for miles around . Got me a good stock this year

Would think in a SHTF deal those city folks going to be chewing on their neighbors cat in a few days

Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,830 times
I'll have my popcorn and sweet tea ready for "doomsday"

Can't wait to watch the hysteria

Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 PM

533 posts, read 1,461,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
All I'm saying is that it's silly to assume nothing bad will ever happen, and it's silly not be prepared for at least the simplest of emergencies.
That's quite the mass generalization. Nobody's saying nothing bad will ever happen...but to get on the boat with the whole end of the world in 2012 hysteria because of some ancient calendar--it's a bit over the top.

Of course it's good to be prepared for emergencies, that's just common sense. To fall into the quagmire of doomsday prophecy goes beyond basic preparedness. Makes for good stories though, sells a lot of advertisement in gossip rags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness