Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess it depends on the nature of the emergency, though I suppose the best all around tool would be a 9mm Glock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, I guess it depends on the nature of the emergency, though I suppose the best all around tool would be a 9mm Glock.
Nope, color yourself dead or injured 'cause a gun is the wrong tool for this job.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM

10 posts, read 26,667 times
How about the little gypsy wagon RV parked on the side of the house? Food, shelter, tools, fuel and a way to get away from or away to...! I knew there must be another reason for keeping it ready to roll. Why worry about 2012?

Old 11-10-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Nope, color yourself dead or injured 'cause a gun is the wrong tool for this job.
Suppose you tell me then what the "right" tool is for remote/rural Alaska. We're all waiting with baited breath for your wisdom.

Try to keep in mind that what works in an urban environment isn't necessarily going to be effective in other parts of the world.

I really don't know any Alaskan who would choose a pocketknife over a firearm, sorry, though I think that most people who spend any significant amount in the bush carry both. Personally, I want something that makes noise for a couple of different reasons, and I won't be out in bear country without a good noisemaker anytime soon. I'd also want to have something that could indicate my location from a fair distance and I doubt that banging a pocket knife against a rock would cut it.

You're right in that a pocketknife is a good tool--probably a better one than a gun in most of the United States. But if a disaster occurred in Alaska, I'd choose a gun over a knife for the reasons I've mentioned.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-10-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

You're right in that a pocketknife is a good tool--probably a better one than a gun in most of the United States. But if a disaster occurred in Alaska, I'd choose a gun over a knife for the reasons I've mentioned.
A good stout folding knife is a must have for the bush in Alaska. That said, if you had any experience at all on the topic you'd know that a gun is useless once the ammo is gone whereas a good stout folding knife can get you home once you learn how to use it.

Examples of the kind of knives for the bush........(not the pocket)
(a real fist full of knife!)
Kershaw Knives Folding Field Lockback Folding Knife With Brass Bolsters 4" Blade - Knifecenter.com
(a real solid knife for anywhere & anyone)
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...l.html?s=BU110

Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
A good stout folding knife is a must have for the bush in Alaska. That said, if you had any experience at all on the topic you'd know that a gun is useless once the ammo is gone whereas a good stout folding knife can get you home once you learn how to use it.

Examples of the kind of knives for the bush........(not the pocket)
(a real fist full of knife!)
Kershaw Knives Folding Field Lockback Folding Knife With Brass Bolsters 4" Blade - Knifecenter.com
(a real solid knife for anywhere & anyone)
Buck Folding Hunter 4-7/8" Closed Wood Handle Leather Sheath - Knifecenter.com
Uh, yeah, we really do understand the importance of ammo in Alaska and we don't tend to be without a decent supply.

One more time, I ain't dissing the value of a good knife. But if I want to be found out there in the event I get separated from family, I'd prefer something that can make a good noise. Anyone who has experience in the bush also knows that there isn't a better bear deterrent than noise.

As far as your comment about my experience in the topic--I've spent the majority of my life in rural/remote Alaska. Somehow I get the feeling that you've never even seen it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-10-2009 at 09:20 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I have to wonder. What if there is a an emergency and you stick it out but have to deal with looters, armed bands, etc? If you do protect your property and when things settle down they see a few bodies piled up outside your door? In new Orleans things broke down to teh point where they pretty much let looters have their way for personal needs, food etc., although of course it got way out of hand. They just looted anything and everything. But would you get stuck having to legally defend yourself against charges of murder for shooting would be looters or people demanding food or shelter from you? And what about dealing with uniformed police and/or military personnel who might order you to leave even if its against your wishes or better judgement? If you stay in your home and they cross the threshhold to get you out I think both parties have suddenly entered shaky legal grounds.
BTW, I always liked the khukri knives of the ghurkas. Part machete, part bowie knife.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 AM

216 posts, read 343,456 times
If i was in a crowded city i would get out now . Am not some places have SSS

Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 PM

61 posts, read 100,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I have to wonder. What if there is a an emergency and you stick it out but have to deal with looters, armed bands, etc? If you do protect your property and when things settle down they see a few bodies piled up outside your door? In new Orleans things broke down to teh point where they pretty much let looters have their way for personal needs, food etc., although of course it got way out of hand. They just looted anything and everything. But would you get stuck having to legally defend yourself against charges of murder for shooting would be looters or people demanding food or shelter from you? And what about dealing with uniformed police and/or military personnel who might order you to leave even if its against your wishes or better judgement? If you stay in your home and they cross the threshhold to get you out I think both parties have suddenly entered shaky legal grounds.
BTW, I always liked the khukri knives of the ghurkas. Part machete, part bowie knife.

Several Issues there:

1)I practice good OPSEC. I don't tell everyone and their father of my prepartions or what not. I will try and keep a low profile, will not make myself a unnessecary target.

2)Self defense is self defense, if people try to storm your house to rob you, I do believe you can defend yourself. A good rifle/shotgun would work well in this situation, but at all costs you would try to avoid bloodshed, that is why #1 is important

3)Weren't people in New orleans told to leave? I don't remember people being forcibly removed from their homes, but I could be wrong?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 PM

I don't think that anyone was forcibly removed from their homes during Katrina.

We had some major flooding in Alaska a few years ago. My place, along with about 20 other homes, was cut off for about a week and a half. The road was washed out, which meant that there was no way to get to the "store". Power was out--for those that even had it in the first place, no phones or 'net. We all took it in stride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness