Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:51 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't get it as well how people frown upon the stocking up.

My family used to tease me about having an overflowing pantry and then some.
I lived in south Florida when hurricane Andrew hit. I had several family members show up at the house as we were the furthest inland. Not a one brought any type of "preparedness" items.
It was MY STOCKING that got us through 2, almost 3 days of no electricity. That woke me to to what I still needed and how quick it can all go once "family" show up at the door empty-handed and looking to stay with you.

Each one of them got a stern talking to about being prepared and if you evacuate then TAKE THE STUFF WITH YOU.

Honestly if you haven't lived through any type of emergency you may poo-poo all this stuff off.
......until you find yourself in the middle of it and have no preps.

There are plenty stories of Katrina folks and how they made it through with their stash and preparedness.
Your stocking got them through. Yep, there's the rub. If it came to something really bad, and your supplies need to last YOUR family, and here come the grasshoppers, that's where things get sticky. I have had people tell me . hey, If something goes bad. I'll just come to your place,. All I can say is my welcome mat is only out for a select few, and they would not be showing up in a disaster situation empty handed either. All those who figure to just have a store available anytime, under any circumstances, and trip on through fiddling away, can also figure on giving my place a wide berth if things get very, very bad. I would never see kids go hungry, and I would help as much as I can, but, in the grand scheme, people who would view my family and I 's spread as a supply depot to offset their lack of preparation, would be wise to think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:12 AM

61 posts, read 100,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Your stocking got them through. Yep, there's the rub. If it came to something really bad, and your supplies need to last YOUR family, and here come the grasshoppers, that's where things get sticky. I have had people tell me . hey, If something goes bad. I'll just come to your place,. All I can say is my welcome mat is only out for a select few, and they would not be showing up in a disaster situation empty handed either. All those who figure to just have a store available anytime, under any circumstances, and trip on through fiddling away, can also figure on giving my place a wide berth if things get very, very bad. I would never see kids go hungry, and I would help as much as I can, but, in the grand scheme, people who would view my family and I 's spread as a supply depot to offset their lack of preparation, would be wise to think otherwise.

Thats why you don't let everyone know how much you are prepared. Rawles calls it OPSEC (operational security).

Have extra supplies for close friends/family, And have also reserves to give to charity (through your local church). But the more people that know about your stash, the more people will bug you to have some..or they might tell their friends..who might not be as nice...and come and try to take it.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Very well said.

I just recently got back into canning and freezing fresh produce. Back in my youth days, I will admit that I hated spending my summers in the fields/garden in the morning. I spent my evenings shelling peas, shucking corn, etc in front of my grandma's black and white. No, she didn't even have cable.

Even after becoming a single parent I didn't return to that way of life. I would pay top dollars for garbage vegetables at the grocer. You know, the hot house, tasteless tomatoes. The half wilted greens. I even owned (and still do) a deep freezer but wouldn't put it to good use.

I am so glad for my hard work this summer. I have enough for the entire winter and they taste great.

--"Even after becoming a single parent I didn't return to that way of life. I would pay top dollar........"

I hope it wasn't govt checks that allowed you, as a single parent, to be paying top dollar.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--"Even after becoming a single parent I didn't return to that way of life. I would pay top dollar........"

I hope it wasn't govt checks that allowed you, as a single parent, to be paying top dollar.
Um, negative. WTH? I'm not sure where that came from but not all single parent rely on the government.

Proud, Masters degree holding single parent. You?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 AM

61 posts, read 100,746 times
Nice Chele, what do you have your degree in?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Um, negative. WTH? I'm not sure where that came from but not all single parent rely on the government.

Proud, Masters degree holding single parent. You?
Me?

Married and a responsible father !

Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 AM

860 posts, read 2,056,317 times
marmac, you're rude.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM

298 posts, read 482,130 times
Agrees. Knows more than one married family that is on the dole for one reason or another.

Judge not, lest ye yourself be judged.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:41 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Me?

Married and a responsible father !
Great for you though I question just how great a father you really are based on the ignorance you displayed here. Do you not let your children play with children from single parent homes? Do you teach them that they are somehow better because they are within a two parent home? How about higher education (I see you didn't answer me on that earlier) and financial responsibility? Last but not least, do you lead by example in exhibiting class and grace?

Anyway, let me figure out a way to put you on ignore. "Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Physiology to the person asking about my degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness