Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:50 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Katrina II, tornado, earthquake, power grid failure, ice storm, panademic, or Obama elected to a second term. Lots of things to prepare for besides a Mayan calendar.

Now I that I think about it, what about the Weather forum? and Obama being elected is something to prepare for like a natural disaster? interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsusd View Post
how about state deficits and baby boomers to retire in 2011?

Isnt that what the state forums are for? there are forums available for this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
Things often seem bad---then somebody calls for a fishing trip, and all is right with the World again. ---It's all about perception. there is no problem unless you let there be one.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:31 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsusd View Post
Not all retired or closed to retired folks are as fortunate as you are. The next several years will be harsh for majority of them.
Yes I know, many are not as 'fortunate' because they failed to be thrifty and plan for their future.

I just hate it when folks are not 'lucky' when they spent all of their money and failed to take care of themselves.

Maybe Hussein's Obama-Care will kick-in just in time and take care of everyone who refused to plan for their future.

We so desperately need a social system that will provide care to everyone from cradle to grave. So nobody can save and plan for themselves and get 'lucky'.

Those 'lucky' folks who have been thrifty and who did plan, maybe we should just take all their stuff away from them; and give it all to the poor folks who refused to live thrifty lives.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM

298 posts, read 481,823 times
Don't equate being poor with being less than thrifty. They aren't the same.

I know plenty of rich folks that wouldn't know how to reuse things if their life depended on it.

Both my husband and I have low paying jobs, a bookbinder and bookseller, and we live on the higher end of the poverty line. We chose those jobs and continue in them because we love them. It is just they aren't valued as highly as some in the computer industry or medical fields. That is life, it isn't fair all the time.

We do have health care altho it is hard to afford it. But it is a major and most important expenditure in our lives. We also have a fixer-upper house that has its mortagage paid off.

I have a little socked away for when I am retiremant age - a very little. My husband doesn't have anything. And that is something we will need to deal with.

Life is about choices and priorities and which one we place first. Or which ones we need to place first. What is and should be a priority for me is not necessarily a priority for you.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
Don't equate being poor with being less than thrifty. They aren't the same.

I know plenty of rich folks that wouldn't know how to reuse things if their life depended on it.

Both my husband and I have low paying jobs, a bookbinder and bookseller, and we live on the higher end of the poverty line. We chose those jobs and continue in them because we love them. It is just they aren't valued as highly as some in the computer industry or medical fields. That is life, it isn't fair all the time.

We do have health care altho it is hard to afford it. But it is a major and most important expenditure in our lives. We also have a fixer-upper house that has its mortagage paid off.

I have a little socked away for when I am retiremant age - a very little. My husband doesn't have anything. And that is something we will need to deal with.

Life is about choices and priorities and which one we place first. Or which ones we need to place first. What is and should be a priority for me is not necessarily a priority for you.
I agree completely.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Oh I think this section is so you won't stand on the roof holding a sign that says "HELP ME".

Old 12-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Oh I think this section is so you won't stand on the roof holding a sign that says "HELP ME".
Hahahahah--love it

Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 AM

61 posts, read 100,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm totally clueless.
Don't worry, many americans are in the same boat

seriously though, This is a forum on self-sustainbility, preparedness for diasters and emergencies. There are many knowledgable people here.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Can someone sticky a thread to give a description on this section? I'm totally clueless.
Some of us like to live a bit self-sufficiently. You know, provide one's own food, fuel, etc. Some of us like to not be the ones standing in line 12 hours for a bottle of water or the ones living in a local school for a week because their house flooded (from living in a flood prone area), and some of us like to sit at home nice and warm with plenty of light and hot cooked food while the power is out rather than huddle under blankets.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 PM

I would just as soon not have to fight some guy, for that last can of spam at the store. So I keep two on hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness