Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:47 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,668,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Wow--I live in 70" by 70" metallic building, with no set back. and my land taxes or over $7000.00 a year. something is wrong here.

That is why so many people are moving to TN. I'm sure the low taxes won't last. As soon as people start moving in they want things like infrastructure, education for their children, guard rails on those treacherous roads. Bunch of sissys!
We had a go cart stolen we called the police, we got the answering machine. Then it took two weeks for someone to come out to take our report. My daughter never said the work ain't until she started school here. That's the price you pay to carry big guns, and pay low taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,445,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
That is why so many people are moving to TN. I'm sure the low taxes won't last. As soon as people start moving in they want things like infrastructure, education for their children, guard rails on those treacherous roads. Bunch of sissys!
We had a go cart stolen we called the police, we got the answering machine. Then it took two weeks for someone to come out to take our report. My daughter never said the work ain't until she started school here. That's the price you pay to carry big guns, and pay low taxes.
I hear ya. I guess there is always a trade off. No place is perfect. Cheers

Old 12-10-2009, 01:31 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,521,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Now if I were to live in the city of Crossville my taxes would be higher. I have and they were, I had three parcels of land one was commercial and my taxes were still under $1000.00 for the year. That's why the population of Crossville is only around 10,000 while the county has a population of 50,000.
I spent the night in Crossville last month and I liked the area a lot. First time I'd been there but I'll be going back to scout the surroundng area for property.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,668,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I spent the night in Crossville last month and I liked the area a lot. First time I'd been there but I'll be going back to scout the surroundng area for property.
It's not too bad. It has it's ups and downs. I like that it has a laid back atmosphere. It takes a while but eventually you get used to it. It kind of reminds me of Stepford Wives meets The Beverly Hillbillies. The people are generally nice and I love all the flora and fauna. It is growing. It's funny because I don't like to go out on Friday afternoons "into town" because there is too much traffic because compared to the Melbourne/Palm Bay, FL area I came from it really isn't traffic at all.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,146,755 times
Depends upon what you are trying to survive.
Being the age I am, when I hear folks talk of "surviving X disaster", I usually imagine a nuclear war. If that is the case, nearly any where in the US could be a problem. One of the better places to survive this kind of disaster would be the absolute coastal edge of northern Cal, Oregon or WA. Those areas of located on the upwind side of the prevailing winds from likely target areas and have mild climates and are relatively lightly populated (some areas very lightly populated).

I would tend to think that regardless of the type of disaster, that would be a pretty fair area with higher than average odds of making it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness