Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 AM

548 posts, read 2,092,856 times

Advertisements

Indispensable, but I've yet to find one that wasn't a piece of junk from China. There's also the exploding no-name batteries from China.

What are you using for solar for A, AA, C, and D cells?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:25 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,857,054 times
Solar Battery Chargers?...no but do have rechargeable AA, AAA, C.D, batteries. Bought a charger couple of yrs ago and a charge the batteries as needed. I still feel that they have been used over and over in my battery needs and have saved me money over the throw away stuff on the mkt today.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,787,131 times
Check out Brunton's line of chargers. I have the SolarPort and it works as advertised.

Brunton Solar Panels (http://www.brunton.com/catalog2.php?subcat=500 - broken link)

If you have the money, check out the Solar Rolls, they're REALLY good. Shop around, the prices listed are retail, I paid 105.00 for my SolarPort.

For batteries, I only use AA and AAA. Sanyo Eneloops are the best I've ever used.

SANYO ENELOOP AA 2000 mAh 4 Battery Pack Ultra Low Discharge..

Your charger is important, for these this is the one to get:

Maha MH-C401FS-DC Battery Charger - White Model AA and AAA C..

Old 12-19-2009, 12:44 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,564,997 times
I also don't use a solar charger, but did think of an idea. Why not use a solar trickle charger for keeping a lead acid (vehicle type) battery charged, and run 12 VDC chargers from that battery for your small batteries. This could be set up for use either in or out of a vehicle. This could be set up easily for little cost, but it would be necessary to ensure that any gases produced from the battery be properly vented to prevent explosion.

Something like this is what I have in mind:
Northern Industrial Solar-Powered Trickle Charger — 5 Watt | Amorphous Solar Panels | Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 12-19-2009, 12:48 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,787,131 times
Here's another good site. I've bought from these guys before.

Sunbender Build-It-Yourself Solar Battery Charger Kits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness