Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Pepperoni View Post
You burn and need a lot less fuel when you're in shape. Good topic.
Well - yes and no. When you're in shape you aren't expending as much energy lugging your excess body weight around, but muscle does increase your metabolic rate. And muscle requires a lot more food fuel to maintain and keep working, especially protein (which is often missing in most "survival" type situations unless you can hunt/fish).

A perfect example of this can be seen watching the second season of The Alaska Experiment. They had a firefighter who was in great shape. He did really well in the first couple of days until they got down to only a few hundred calories a day, mostly carbs. He wasn't eating enough to maintain his metabolism and his body started catabolizing his muscle mass... and he got extremely sick, and had to go home. Although he was bigger/more muscular than the rest of them, it only made it happen faster... everyone suffered from this to some extent eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
I'd also gain a few pounds, too. The skinny ones will be the first to go. But if you have a few extra pounds, you don't need as much food....kinda like personal food storage.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:47 PM

I've found that being on the high-end of the "healthy" BMI range is workable. You still have enough body fat to get you through a few food scarcities, but not so much that you're lugging around a lot of excess weight making your systems work harder.

But, weight and fitness aren't synonymous. I've known plenty overweight people who were in good shape and could hike/work longer than skinnier folks. Your body just has to be used to the work an able to deal with it, regardless of your size. Being a healthy weight helps, but it's not mandatory

I actually try to gain about 10 lbs in the fall (just a hair over my BMI) because I know that I'll be expending more energy working in the cold during the winter, and I usually end up a couple lbs underweight by spring. Most people gain in the winter because they're not as active, I have the reverse problem... it all depends on your climate and lifestyle

Old 08-26-2010, 06:06 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
HaHa.. StoneCypher! I was just calculating it up that at my avg pace for only 8 hours a day, 4k would take me round about 165 days... which, ooooops, is longer than summer up here and I can't outrun a bear... so I guess that I would freeze or be eaten before I made it out of Alaska and back to the Lower 48 ck.

You don't have to outrun a bear. You just have to outrun the person with you!

Cmon, I know you laughed!!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
You don't have to outrun a bear. You just have to outrun the person with you!

Cmon, I know you laughed!!
Yup - just like you don't have to have a high caliber weapon or be able to shoot the bear... you just have to be able to wing your buddy enough to slow him down -- LOL

But I seriously doubt I could convince anyone I know to walk to the Lower 48 with me... so I'd be having to be doing all the outrunning on my own

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Missing, I would be willing to walk with you anywhere but not that far at one time. I can climb trees good though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness