Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,462 times

Advertisements

3 things to be needed for non-electric Comm.'s:

1. scanner that includes reception of the 225-400 military band and a handheld, examples Uniden BC 250d, Realistic PRO 97, GRE PSR 300.

2. Shortwave receiver am-fm-sw with SSB reception examples- Sangean ATS 505, Sony SW 7600R

3. Handheld CB and a GMRS/FRS set of radio's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Default Communication Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post

1. scanner that includes reception of the 225-400 military band and a handheld, examples Uniden BC 250d, Realistic PRO 97, GRE PSR 300.

2. Shortwave receiver am-fm-sw with SSB reception examples- Sangean ATS 505, Sony SW 7600R

You might add to your post: these devices all require electricity in one form or another, not of them are powered by the wind...

Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You might add to your post: these devices all require electricity in one form or another, not of them are powered by the wind...
They could be... (powered by the wind, that is).

It's still true, as you point out, that they require electricity in one form or another, but that electricity could be powered by the wind or the sun.

A wind turbine and/or solar panels set up to charge a 12 volt deep cycle battery could be used as the power source for these radios. Personally, I prefer solar panels to a wind turbine simply because they are easier to set up, and are generally cheaper to implement.

I have a set of solar panels I recently purchased from Harbor Freight that I intend to use for such a purpose, if necessary. When necessary, I also intend to use this setup to power a water pump that is part of my camping and survival gear, as well as anything else that I might need it for.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,462 times
Pay attention all these DO NOT require electricity - ac and dc(battery). Wind aint going to do ya much good if you have to go via bug out.

Also see these for ham-scanner-SW-GMRS/FRS-CB supplies:

Universal Radio shortwave, amateur, scanner and CB radio since 1942
AES Home page

Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Oh yes, it's not possible to operate any radio without some sort of electric power source.
That statement is an absolute, to which I beg to differ.

Simple crystal AM radios can be built from kits -- in fact, such kits used to be available for Boy Scouts -- and are capable of pulling in and "amplifying" radio waves enough to be heard through an earphone. I know, 'cause I used to have one that I built myself, and listened to it in bed at night.

Crystal radios require NO power whatsoever.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:

Do you have an opinion or experience with the Sagean ATS 909x? I'm unclear if that allows shortwave only or includes HAM receiver capabilities.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
That statement is an absolute, to which I beg to differ.

Simple crystal AM radios can be built from kits -- in fact, such kits used to be available for Boy Scouts -- and are capable of pulling in and "amplifying" radio waves enough to be heard through an earphone. I know, 'cause I used to have one that I built myself, and listened to it in bed at night.

Crystal radios require NO power whatsoever.
Crystal radios are receivers only. The transmitter still requires power of some sort.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Default Communication

Quote:
Pay attention all these DO NOT require electricity - ac and dc(battery). Wind aint going to do ya much good if you have to go via bug out.

Also see these for ham-scanner-SW-GMRS/FRS-CB supplies:

Universal Radio shortwave, amateur, scanner and CB radio since 1942
AES Home page
I am paying attention, the only radio that does not need electricity is a crystal set. Every other radio made uses some form of electricity, it may be generated by hand, or a wind turbine, or a solar panel, but it still needs electricity to work. If you find something that does not require electricity, I would like to know about it. The link you provided shows radios that require some form of electric current to operate. Sorry for being technical, but we need to get our facts right. If I'm wrong, I will admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness