Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Xbox and generator. I would suggest Fallout, Resident Evil, Call of Duty 6, and Borderlands as your minimum end of the world game library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM

29 posts, read 46,440 times
Oh wow.. what excellent ideas ya'll.

Harry Chickpea, the game rules is a really fabulous idea. Would greatly extend the usability of a deck of cards.

Son of Liberty... GOT to give an to games that you don't have to tote around but are available anytime right out of your old noggin. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yachtcare... remind me not to pitch camp just under the hill from you lol

Urban Sasquatch... you KNOW it's true lmbo

Life's all about balance ya know? Sure there will be lots of hard work, but a chance to unwind and enjoy yourself even with simple pleasures really recharges yer old batteries for the work ahead.

I'm thinking in this electronic age, most of us, especially the younger crew, ( thank gawd my kids are all grown up!) are going to go nuts whining on and on how "there's nothing to doOoOoO" Let's face it, they're probably not going to like the work involved as it will be a vast change from most of their lives now.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM

29 posts, read 46,440 times
Whew Chango, don't forget your surge protector for the X-box! WHAM of power surge would be pretty devestating to those things I'd imagine?

Just out of curiosity to those more electronically knowledgeable than I am ... and yes, that covers about all of you lol.... what other use could you find for the x-box besides entertainment value? I know they're really advanced and can go online etc... but any other features? My hubby would be lost without his

Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
There are a lot of travel games that are miniature and contain several games in one (like chess, checkers, backgammon in one set).

When we were young and couldn't afford a chess set, we made our own by filling in squares on a piece of cardboard, and then cutting little squares of paper or cardboard (you could also use rocks but you wouldn't want to cart those around!) and then we'd write a letter on it to designate which piece it was, like P for pawn, Q for queen, etc.

Agree that playing a musical instrument and carrying a small instrument around would be great.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirlAL View Post
Whew Chango, don't forget your surge protector for the X-box! WHAM of power surge would be pretty devestating to those things I'd imagine?

Just out of curiosity to those more electronically knowledgeable than I am ... and yes, that covers about all of you lol.... what other use could you find for the x-box besides entertainment value? I know they're really advanced and can go online etc... but any other features? My hubby would be lost without his
They play DVDs and music CDs. They also make excellent doorstops when they burn out (which is usually too soon)

Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Want my drum so I can bang out some communication messages--good for dancing around the fire, too. Drumming circles to keep the bears away...

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
We have Kindle and could download books/magazine/news and acccess the web as long as Amazon and their Whispernet is alive and well.

After that, it's just a matter of battery-life.

I still carry a small sketch pad and waterproof pencil from my backpacking days. I know many many word games, plus I like to write (and break) codes.

I always carry my favorite (paperback) book of Somerset Maugham's short stories.

Other than that....I would hope to have my bicycle. I can have all kinds of fun on a bike in the woods.

I love cook too. If I had to forgage and come up with , say, an appetizer using morels, fiddleheads, dried orzo, and vodka (or whatever), that could be a game for me.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
well; some washers to pitch with cans or horseshoes maybe.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I have a little recorder flute. Looking at a kalimba online to buy. Maybe can get a little band together and barter entertainment for food WTSHTF.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:35 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
a deck of cards can go a long way, also board games can keep you or children busy as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Just pack a Hoyles book of card game rules and a few decks.
A simple pack of playing cards can be more games that you can imagine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness