Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times

Advertisements

I did a sca even just once. Wasn't up to my snoby tastes for authenticy I di French and Indian War and American Fur Trade still. At the sca event the capt if a guard threatened me with a padded stick, I threatened him back with a real french partisian and a real flint lock pistol I made 98% of

Next day I got padded weapons training. When I saw what that was, I told that same guy if he left a welt on me like he did the others I'ld come crawing back and shoot his a$$.

I sort of still am a honorary tuchux I did like the way they showered..

If you are talking eastern and a long time ago you may have met my wife. She was into sca a lot more than me, and had a tee pee at those events.

I do both a scot French side militia and a Native character as the weather see's fit. I don't do well in layers of wool in summer heats.

We did go as sort of Pirates to a renny in Md in 08, for a wake. I was a little upset i couldn't carry one of my swords and a pistol. Before we went we had this pic taken, here at home.

Not right for pirates, but was as close as we could get. All the silks are real silks and were added for color at the wake.

My wife has on about 40 layers of clothing and about 1/2 is mine

I have gold coins in the silk stockings (black things hangin' off my sash

That's my real hairs too

At Ft Ticonderoga I took the woman behind me as prisoner. The pic was given to me and doesn't show the rope i hold that is around her neck, what a shame...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,518,380 times
That Indian one looks really authentic, like it's an actual period picture from the 1800's.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
That Indian one looks really authentic, like it's an actual period picture from the 1800's.
Kinda the point........ far left looking on at the pic is me..

This all one piece ball head rock maple war club is the same as in the upper pic too.

That's real human hair really.....

This next was last Nov 1st. people wanted a paleo. No one knows what a paleo would have, other than spears only as hunting weapons. So I made 2 spears... Traded out the blue wool breech clout for a hide breech clout, and nothing I had was modern a bit. There is a stone blade, bone handle knife in the neck pouch, and the one pices basket contains a lot of other stone aged tools I made. All the paint I made, there are bone tools and parts of things as well, but if I ran into a real paleo he would know the uses for everything.

This still was taken by my wife, but i was hearing a director cameraman who paid me. The camera my wife used was loaned to her, and she wasn't familar with it.

The wind was howing and everyone else was in down vests coats amd booted up toasty. The location was marsh in Ipswich Mass.

I did cheat and wore think wool socks inside knee high moc boots I made. In a few places I had to cross mud and a little water and knew I was gonna be a little wet, and pretty cold.

I used the knife to make a few repairs too, like the basket strap broke, and some old things broke too. I just cut up some more real white brain tan for the fixes, but dirtied the new hide a little. White would be correct as is for brained deer anyway, but modern people don't think so.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 02-28-2011 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 02:40 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,495,400 times
I do "Cowboy Action Shooting". Only, when I do it, it's Indian Action Shooting. In this sport my peraonal motto is " My heroes have always Killed Cowboys..."

Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM

The dark glasses gotta go man......... I used to make gorget's in sterling or brass.

You wicked look a lot like Graham Greene.

I ain't got No Cow Boy stuff, so ya' can put that load it on Sunday shoot all week down, in my case.

Or com'on out here and let me run that lever some for free... You know how I like for free..right?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 AM

18,927 posts, read 14,111,175 times
FWIW - I knew a guy who lived in a tipi, but to combat skeeters, he had a small two - man tent (w/ good bug mesh) inside it.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The dark glasses gotta go man...
Hey, this is California -- low humidity, brilliant sunshine, lots of glare and all that. Besides, they're shooting glasses. And after all, my monicker "Nighteyes" ain't fer nothin'...

Quote:
You wicked look a lot like Graham Greene.
That, my friend, is quite a compliment.

Quote:
Or com'on out here and let me run that lever some for free... You know how I like for free..right?
Yep. That repro 1866 Winnie carbine is a great one fer sure. But you oughta see me run my repro 1860 Henry...

(By the way, in the rifle pic, did you notice that there are TWO ejected empties in the air? One is clearly in the air above the rifle, and the other is straight down below my ear, highlighted against my left shirt sleeve...)

Last edited by Nighteyes; 03-02-2011 at 04:50 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 AM

LOL I saw the one in the air high, but took the other one low as a hole in yer shirt. When yer just standin thar for a picture take the blasted MODERN glasses OFF!

Graham Greene.... I had to scroll back and forth many times. I thought at first you included a pic of Graham Greene, to show you looked like him. I had to study what the shirt was and the hat and hat band. I really though you included a pic of him. You could be his double. Can you run backwards?

I got a frilly necked shirt a guy gave me for rags. It has frilly cuffs too, and while the neck opening is still intact, the rest of the front is spilt open for being thread bare, untill the hem comes back not yet broken open.

It was poorly walnut hull dyed, I got paint stains all over it, my red body paint made of iron oxid and bear oil.. It looks like hell, so I added a lot of good trade silver to the right shoulder. Facing me the area covered in pieces of silver forms a triangle, passes over my shoulder and becomes anothet same triangle. I shoot long guns lefty, so I don't batter the silver any.

The best thing is that shirt make the wimins screem, sometimes chase me out of camp, and speak briskly with their husbands about never having a shirt that bad LOL

My characters are poorer than dirt, and don't have 'new' clothings or anything else. I try to look unwashed, and while my stuff may be stained it is clean, or as clean as suits me.

My deer hide 'trousers' are stained from many greasy meals, and in general camp chores, even my Whitney red blanket coat is stained and has 'things' on it.

Being me, my stuff gets used up hard.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 03-03-2011 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness