Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:19 PM

377 posts, read 877,561 times

Advertisements

I found this essay interesting and thought-provoking.
Author: Dmitry Orlov, an engineer and a writer, MIT graduate.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 06:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Save the essay. There's only one lesson:

Get out of Afghanistan

Old 04-11-2010, 07:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoLight View Post
I found this essay interesting and thought-provoking.
Author: Dmitry Orlov, an engineer and a writer, MIT graduate.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Good post. It is a bit like looking into a mirror. We should have learned from the Soviets rather than following them to economic collapse.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM

I hear you. How I wish we were willing to learn from others' mistakes...

Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I wonder how long it really took for Perestroika to work out some growing pains. I never followed it after hearing about it in the late 80s. Wasn't there also a period where the Russian mob were forming enterprises for their piece of the pie? I remember hearing about murders, bribes, etc.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
I know the US government has sent people in Russia for years teaching their scientists to design/build things other than nuclear bombs. The fear was that they would leave Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union and sell their knowledge and services to the highest bidder.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I have many firends who have wroed in the foremr coiet union. hey all said it is the most ineffcient place they have ever worked.Bascaioly they said its easy to see why east germany was like it was under scoiet domiation verus west germany.Ifg you know anyhting about oil you know that oil will not solve the russias problemsand as oil become less and less in demand they will face collapse agin they are now so dependent on its for revenues because they bascaily were in the shape that Reagan recognised years ago and ready to collapse when pushed.It really how little control the governamnt had at the end and how that is really scary.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I wonder how long it really took for Perestroika to work out some growing pains. I never followed it after hearing about it in the late 80s. Wasn't there also a period where the Russian mob were forming enterprises for their piece of the pie? I remember hearing about murders, bribes, etc.
Yes, in the 90's mob was dividing "the pie" (not only in frm SU but in Europe as well) and most of the country was in a state of anarchy. Big cities experienced mob street war, kind of like Chicago in 20's. The previous pres put and end to that. So I'll say it took a good 20 years to get where they are today.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have many firends who have wroed in the foremr coiet union. hey all said it is the most ineffcient place they have ever worked.Bascaioly they said its easy to see why east germany was like it was under scoiet domiation verus west germany.
Yes, the system used to be very inefficient and may still be in certain areas. People were joking about their low wages - they (goobermint) pretend that they pay us and we pretend that we work

Quote:
Ifg you know anyhting about oil you know that oil will not solve the russias problemsand as oil become less and less in demand they will face collapse agin they are now so dependent on its for revenues because they bascaily were in the shape that Reagan recognised years ago and ready to collapse when pushed.It really how little control the governamnt had at the end and how that is really scary.
Don't know, don't know...... they were able to pay off a lot of their foreign debt with oil and gas money.

According to the latest figures published by Russian Central Bank on Monday, as of Jan. 1, 2010, the total external debt stood at 471.6 billion dollars, down 7.8 billion dollars, or 1.6 percent, compared with one year ago.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Orlov's Blog
(I didn't know he had one...)
The essay mentioned in my original post is available here in one piece. And more essays for the interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness