Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 PM

337 posts, read 663,584 times

Advertisements

This movie was overwhelming at the same time disturbing as to apparently how easy it is to use our natural resources for energy and how to totally come off of the dependency to oil and power plants etc.

If u haven't seen it check it out at

Zeitgeist - The Movie

It will change your life as it has mine. This movie made me truly realize how corrupt those Billionaires truly are, in order for them to keep their lifestyles they have to keep us pinned down.

It's no wonder energy efficient cars and other methods are bought up so quickly by the big 3 when new and genius ideas are patented, guess u can't blame the designers for selling out to life changing money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 06:26 AM

377 posts, read 877,894 times
Check out "Zeitgeist: Addendum" too. PrisonPlanet probably has it.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Movie, very interesting, and makes many good points (which have been noted by many who are not supporters of the State). However, the Venus Project is very, very, scary. I admit that I am biased against the "final solution" that the movie is meant to suport because of my objectivist/libertarian/voluntaryist belief system.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
However, the Venus Project is very, very, scary.
irspow, can you elaborate please.

I think Venus project looks great but I also think it's way ahead of it's time.
We are not mentally evolved enough to live in such communities, unfortunately.
If anything, it seems that we, as humans, degradated in the last few decades, overtaken by greed and selfishness.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 AM

337 posts, read 663,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoLight View Post
Check out "Zeitgeist: Addendum" too. PrisonPlanet probably has it.
already seen it

Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Quote:
irspow, can you elaborate please.

I think Venus project looks great but I also think it's way ahead of it's time.
We are not mentally evolved enough to live in such communities, unfortunately.
If anything, it seems that we, as humans, degradated in the last few decades, overtaken by greed and selfishness.
Sure. After reading through all of the Venus Project material, it simply is not something that I personally endorse. As I have said, I am a believer in a mixture of voluntaryism, objectivism, and libertarianism.

I am not going to say that such a system is definitively unworkable. A computerized authoritarian system can "work" as long as there is enough force available to crush dissent.

While some may view that all resources can be allocated "efficiently" to provide "everything" that people "should" have or want, that is a nightmare to me. Who writes the "programs" of the benevolent computerized "Overlord"? Really, the only difference between the VP and any other system of "government" is in who the human (or computer) deities are. To be clear, I am for any system that does not hold slaves or "mandate" association. The bottom line, is that the VP does not seem to accomodate indivduals who may not want their existence determined by "others".

Overall, the VP is nothing more than a happy face placed on old anti-individual collectivist ideologies. I am not against Communism in any way as long as those who do not wish to participate are free to escape its reach. VP seems to leave no such "escape" for those who wish to be free of its dictates. That is what makes it scary to me.

As to humans not being evolved, or is it "devolved", enough for VP, I would agree. That is why every "system" of "government" in place now or ever has only been used to initiate force against individuals and to consolodate power in the hands of "rulers" and "planners" who think themselves superior to their fellow man. I do not believe that man is an insect that only exists to serve the colony.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
irspow
I agree that we are overrun by greed and selfishness. I disagree that greed/selfishness are synonymous with freedom or personal free agency, though, as many people in our confused society seem to believe.

The way to get rid of greed and selfishness is not through repression, but through education. Societal repression can never correct any ill because it is in itself an ill.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Overall, the VP is nothing more than a happy face placed on old anti-individual collectivist ideologies. I am not against Communism in any way as long as those who do not wish to participate are free to escape its reach. VP seems to leave no such "escape" for those who wish to be free of its dictates. That is what makes it scary to me.
I agree that idea is somewhat utopian under present circumstances. But there will always be people willing to give up their control, just so someone else can think for them and take care of them.
I must have missed the "escape" part, I was under the impression that participation is such project would be volutary.
If forced, this indeed would be scary.
Quote:
As to humans not being evolved, or is it "devolved", enough for VP, I would agree. That is why every "system" of "government" in place now or ever has only been used to initiate force against individuals and to consolodate power in the hands of "rulers" and "planners" who think themselves superior to their fellow man. I do not believe that man is an insect that only exists to serve the colony.
Agree. Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I disagree that greed/selfishness are synonymous with freedom or personal free agency, though, as many people in our confused society seem to believe.

The way to get rid of greed and selfishness is not through repression, but through education. Societal repression can never correct any ill because it is in itself an ill.
But if people learn to think for themselves, how will the system controll them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness