Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times

Advertisements

I think this article fits into this section...

20 Things You Will Need To Survive When The Economy Collapses And The Next Great Depression Begins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,373 times
Some very good advice in the article. Being prepared for emergencies is the responsible thing to do. Do I think the economy will collapse. I think all the ingredients for that to happen are brewing. I would rather be safe then sorry.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post

sorry, but a liberal must have come up with that list. because if the schumer hits the fan and a major depression comes down you will need firearms to protect what you have. firearms should have been listed right after warm clothing, plus the training and sufficent ammo for the firearms as well.

I have most of the items listed, but find a leatherman better than a swiss army knife.

other that that, not a bad list.

1 thing I would have included is to have as many bills paid off as you can, including your home if possible.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
After reading the phrase------" the truth is the US economy is gonna collapse"--I thought it was written by one of the many alarmists who post here.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
It would take a sudden, drastic change in course by our government to prevent an eventual collapse. People need to remember that a collapse may not be a sudden event and then chaos reigns. More likely is a slow, gradual collapse where things become worse and worse, more unemployment, people homeless, etc., and with infrastructure declining and becoming unreliable. Sort of like what we're seeing now (I don't think too highly of the claims we're seeing a "jobless recovery" as a jobless recovery is really no recovery except for a minority of wealthy).

Old 04-30-2010, 03:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
1929-1934 - took 5 years back then. We are just in year 3.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
1929-1934 - took 5 years back then. We are just in year 3.

was longer than that, if WWII would not have happened, the depression and high unemployment would have still been high in the 40's.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
While stocking up on "supplies" and having some modern tools is good in the short-term, it shouldn't be seen as anything more than a temporary convenience. If anyone really wants to survive any significant damage to the system they must possess skills more than supplies. People should have knowledge about what it takes to survive in nature, not simply creature comforts and aids of the technological society that will be used up. "Supplies" are only useful for as long as they last. A complex system like ours will not simply reemerge by hitting some "restart" button after some passing of time.

Sure, I have my weapons cache and "survival" packs collecting dust in the event of a sudden interuption of the machine, as I think it would be irresponsible not to do so. However, I have taken the time to learn about pre-technological society survival. People should be knowledgeable about how earlier people lived and survived without the protective and fragile bubble of "modern" society. If anyone really wants to be able to survive long-term, they should seek out and practice earlier techniques of weapon/tool making, hunting/trapping techniques, successful foraging/planting strategies, etc.

I am not trying to be an ass. It seems than many people are simply comfortable preparing for short-term scenarios or "camping trip" plans when real life skills will be needed to survive in reality. So pack up so that transition is easier, but don't be the "camper" who dies anyway in rather short order because "supplies" are not a substitute for "skills".

Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
While stocking up on "supplies" and having some modern tools is good in the short-term, it shouldn't be seen as anything more than a temporary convenience. If anyone really wants to survive any significant damage to the system they must possess skills more than supplies. People should have knowledge about what it takes to survive in nature, not simply creature comforts and aids of the technological society that will be used up. "Supplies" are only useful for as long as they last. A complex system like ours will not simply reemerge by hitting some "restart" button after some passing of time.

Sure, I have my weapons cache and "survival" packs collecting dust in the event of a sudden interuption of the machine, as I think it would be irresponsible not to do so. However, I have taken the time to learn about pre-technological society survival. People should be knowledgeable about how earlier people lived and survived without the protective and fragile bubble of "modern" society. If anyone really wants to be able to survive long-term, they should seek out and practice earlier techniques of weapon/tool making, hunting/trapping techniques, successful foraging/planting strategies, etc.

I am not trying to be an ass. It seems than many people are simply comfortable preparing for short-term scenarios or "camping trip" plans when real life skills will be needed to survive in reality. So pack up so that transition is easier, but don't be the "camper" who dies anyway in rather short order because "supplies" are not a substitute for "skills".

^^^^^
This.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
For some times have always been good. For some the Great Depression is still going on. We are the victim of our choices. Good, bad, or indifferent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness