Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times

Advertisements

Just a little levity for the discussion.

In all honesty, though I've not yet seen the movie I found a clip from The Road quite interesting because it demonstrated at least one of the difficulties which "civilized" folks may well encounter.

People like to blow off and say all kinds of things, often proving that the majority of their alleged "thinking" is really spawned from movies and works of bad fiction.

When my unit was called up and went to Iraq we knew, being a transportation unit, that we'd be all over Iraq, between secure facilities, on the roads with the bombs and bullets, trekking slowly as part of the supply line (read "target") from hot spot to hot spot.

The chance (as we ultimately did) of encountering combat was very real.

Prior to departure there was all sorts of nonsense from ignorant rednecks who bragged about the number of people they planned to kill, who spoke of how easy it would be to do so, etc, etc. Everything grotesque and stupid from burning villages to taking scalps or ears or noses.

Sheer stupidity.

When we finally saw combat those guys were the ones who panicked, either firing wildly and without effect OR failing to squeeze off a single round... firing into crowds of bystanders rather than focusing on the enemy... squeezing and squeezing and squeezing triggers while failing to disengage safety...

As I said, stupidity.

Anyone who thinks they'd simply kill with no qualms or compunctions is either a loathesome excuse for a person who has no regard for life OR they've never been faced with the real situation and have given no real thought to it.

Now, that's not to say no one here would kill given the need; but don't delude yourselves into thinking it's a simple act carried out quickly and efficiently -- not without either experience and training it's not... or if one is possessed of a really stupid mind wherein one is a movie-type tough guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 03:22 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Protection begins before there is danger.

Rule #1
Do not tell others of your preparations. Not even family or close friends. Mention casually once that you've read about those who are preparing and discuss it casually. Friends and family have a sad way of telling others about your preparedness and will invite others to reap the rewards of your labor - usually without your permission. This will not only compromise your preps, but your very existence.

Rule #2
Hide preps. Do as much as you can to keep your mindset a secret from others. Box canned goods in unmarked boxes.

Rule #3
Bury what you can and make sure you mark the location clearly so you will not forget where it is. Need an example? Bury well packaged items (bucket with lid comes to mind) in an area in plain sight, full sun and plant a flowering bush or ornamental tree directly over it. After all, these are things you are trying to protect. Use a metal ring to add mulch around the bush or tree - to thwart metal detectors.

Rule #4
See most everyone as a potential threat. Do not discuss your preps with anyone unless you know for sure they are on the same page.

Rule #5
Make yourself look average or below average in wealth or preparedness. People who look wealthy or well prepared are in the greatest danger of attracting thieves and hoodlums. That means keeping your stored money in small bills rather than in larger ones. Don't be afraid to look like you had to break a piggy bank to buy gas for the car.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Rule #6
Live in Mayberry where there is a real sense of community and caring.

I'm serious. We can do more and protect more as a group than as an individual. I feel lucky to be living in exactly that scenerio. I have no doubt that if society collapsed, my son's teacher would keep teaching, the librarian would keep library hours, the EMTs would keep making house calls, the Master Gardeners would be assisting people with seed saving and sprouting, that we would still have community get togethers at the hall, etc. However, I'm also glad to know that if the SHTF, it wouldn't take much to close off the four roads into town and that mother nature will actually do it for us if it is wintertime.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Ho! Ho! Ho!
Double HO Ho HO

Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Rule #6
Live in Mayberry where there is a real sense of community and caring.

I'm serious. We can do more and protect more as a group than as an individual. I feel lucky to be living in exactly that scenerio. I have no doubt that if society collapsed, my son's teacher would keep teaching, the librarian would keep library hours, the EMTs would keep making house calls, the Master Gardeners would be assisting people with seed saving and sprouting, that we would still have community get togethers at the hall, etc. However, I'm also glad to know that if the SHTF, it wouldn't take much to close off the four roads into town and that mother nature will actually do it for us if it is wintertime.
Cool. Where do you live?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
there is such a community its called camp pendleton.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaV-6qerkqI

Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Cool. Where do you live?
Young, Arizona. There are about 400 yearround residents. It is quiet and isolated because we are in the middle of the Tonto NF, and the only roads in are dirt and moutaineous, so it really puts people off even to visit. Don't know why. We only have a Saturn sedan and it drives better on the road than the big trucks. We have to drive to Payson, Globe, or Showlow for groceries, but there is a small general/convenience store that carries enough groceries to see you through, if need be (they are just expensive...although about spot on for cheese for some reason...). We also have one gas pump, a post office (no home delivery), a auto parts/general hardward store, a motel, a quilting/gift store, a school (K-12 w/ around 60 students total), a library, a thrift store, a fire/emt hall, and a community center (pole barn with bathrooms, a stage, and a kitchen).

With any small town, there are differences and sometimes people are catty, but all in all everyone is in it together. They didn't get outside electric until 1967, and it wasn't until a few short years ago that the power would go out for up to a week or more at a time. It still goes out a few times a year for 2-3 days, usually at the first big winter and monsoon storms. So, with electricity going out and having to go so far for groceries, it is natural for neighbors to be checking up on each other. When the power goes out, people go around checking on those who are older, new to the area, or whose husbands are away. Often someone will call you up and say that they are going out of town tomorrow, and ask if you need anything. And the practice of borrowing 'a cup of sugar' is alive a well here (although for me it has been a lot of borrowing spices).

So if the SHTF, I think a lot of 'normal' life around here would continue. Oh, there are some of those people who always take that would get less and less assistance. And there could very well be some stealing, especially good ol' fashioned cattle and horse rustling, but I expect those issues would be dealt by the old fashion way, as well. And like I said, it wouldn't take much to cover the roads in tree falls, and it doesn't take much for the roads to become eroded away and the trees and rocks to fall naturally if no one is keeping continual maintenance on the road.

The only thing I am concerned about is water. I'm slowly trying to convince my husband to get a solar panel to operate the pump or install a handpump. Otherwise, we have a lot of water compared to other AZ locals, and several yearround streams in the surrounding mountains.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Young, Arizona. There are about 400 yearround residents. It is quiet and isolated because we are in the middle of the Tonto NF, and the only roads in are dirt and moutaineous, so it really puts people off even to visit. Don't know why. We only have a Saturn sedan and it drives better on the road than the big trucks. We have to drive to Payson, Globe, or Showlow for groceries, but there is a small general/convenience store that carries enough groceries to see you through, if need be (they are just expensive...although about spot on for cheese for some reason...). We also have one gas pump, a post office (no home delivery), a auto parts/general hardward store, a motel, a quilting/gift store, a school (K-12 w/ around 60 students total), a library, a thrift store, a fire/emt hall, and a community center (pole barn with bathrooms, a stage, and a kitchen).

With any small town, there are differences and sometimes people are catty, but all in all everyone is in it together. They didn't get outside electric until 1967, and it wasn't until a few short years ago that the power would go out for up to a week or more at a time. It still goes out a few times a year for 2-3 days, usually at the first big winter and monsoon storms. So, with electricity going out and having to go so far for groceries, it is natural for neighbors to be checking up on each other. When the power goes out, people go around checking on those who are older, new to the area, or whose husbands are away. Often someone will call you up and say that they are going out of town tomorrow, and ask if you need anything. And the practice of borrowing 'a cup of sugar' is alive a well here (although for me it has been a lot of borrowing spices).

So if the SHTF, I think a lot of 'normal' life around here would continue. Oh, there are some of those people who always take that would get less and less assistance. And there could very well be some stealing, especially good ol' fashioned cattle and horse rustling, but I expect those issues would be dealt by the old fashion way, as well. And like I said, it wouldn't take much to cover the roads in tree falls, and it doesn't take much for the roads to become eroded away and the trees and rocks to fall naturally if no one is keeping continual maintenance on the road.

The only thing I am concerned about is water. I'm slowly trying to convince my husband to get a solar panel to operate the pump or install a handpump. Otherwise, we have a lot of water compared to other AZ locals, and several yearround streams in the surrounding mountains.
Thanks for the run-down. It sounds really interesting. I looked at some pics online and the road doesn't look so bad. Does the town lean left or right politically?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 PM

Ah, this is Arizona. It all leans right...far right. But I lean left. There is no governing council, so there are no actual politics in town. There are a small number of us that lean left, but it doesn't really matter in the end. Well, I suppose if you wanted to make it matter, you could, by getting in people's faces. I just don't focus on it. There is so much more to life and to talk about that I don't enter into political conversations for the most part. There are people that complain about the taxes being high because so much land in the county is federal, but 90% of the people moved here knowing that (the other 10% or so having family here for generations), so how can you complain too loudly about a situation that was in existance before you came?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Ah, this is Arizona. It all leans right...far right. But I lean left. There is no governing council, so there are no actual politics in town. There are a small number of us that lean left, but it doesn't really matter in the end. Well, I suppose if you wanted to make it matter, you could, by getting in people's faces. I just don't focus on it. There is so much more to life and to talk about that I don't enter into political conversations for the most part. There are people that complain about the taxes being high because so much land in the county is federal, but 90% of the people moved here knowing that (the other 10% or so having family here for generations), so how can you complain too loudly about a situation that was in existance before you came?
You know it's really sad the reason I asked the question. My husband is of Romanian and Polish descent and on more than one occasion here in South Florida people have assumed he was Latin and started to speak to him in Spanish. I guess I was trying to gauge the prejudice... I'm sure as a lefty that must burn you up. I am and, if I were in your shoes, it would infuriate me. I'm sorry! I know as a Floridian we took a lot of heat after the 2000 election. Sorry about that, lol

It sounds like an awesome town though. Does the school need a calculus/high school math teacher?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness