Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I will tip certain people for services, but lately I see tip jars EVERYWHERE. I mean at Dunkin Donuts, Pizzerias, corner stores, gas station marts, and just about everywhere I go. I never put tips in there. Everyone one wants a damn tip for doing their job. If I tipped at every store I saw them I'd be spending a ton more money.

The only people I tip on a regular basis are waiters and at the hair salon.
Other than that I don't think you deserve a tip just for handing me a doughnut or a cup of coffee.

Do you buy into all these tip jars?
I have a tip jar in my car. I rarely use cash anymore because my credit card has a decent reward program but if I do I throw my change right in my cup and then when it gets full I take it to the machine and cash it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I have a tip jar in my car. I rarely use cash anymore because my credit card has a decent reward program but if I do I throw my change right in my cup and then when it gets full I take it to the machine and cash it out.
I really hate to ask...
Just what do you do to earn tips, IN YOUR CAR???

Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I really hate to ask...
Just what do you do to earn tips, IN YOUR CAR???
LOL I meant when i'm buying something. If I go through a drive-thru or some place where I use cash I throw it in the cup in my car. I used to keep it in my house but I found that the change somehow never made it in the house

Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
I ignore tip jars. Also funny is how some places like restaurants where you prepay allow you to tip before having any kind of service rendered. I just write zero on the tip line and I may leave a cash tip if appropriate after having my meal.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
Tip jars are annoying. If I get great service from someone, I'd rather give THEM the tip directly. Why should they have to "share" with someone that might not be giving great service?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times
I do find tip jars offensive.

Especially so when I frequent someplace just a few minutes after they open and there's already a healthy number of bills and coins in the jar.

They're an attempt at pressuring the customer, both by their presence and socially if another customer uses it.

I have called and written management several times complaining about them. In one small non-chain food establishment it was removed.

Making up the shortfall between an underpaid employee and a decent wage is NOT my burden.

Restaurants have manipulated tips into an art form, allowing them to remunerate substandard wages and turn tipping into a de facto standard.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
I do find tip jars offensive.

Especially so when I frequent someplace just a few minutes after they open and there's already a healthy number of bills and coins in the jar.

They're an attempt at pressuring the customer, both by their presence and socially if another customer uses it.

I have called and written management several times complaining about them. In one small non-chain food establishment it was removed.

Making up the shortfall between an underpaid employee and a decent wage is NOT my burden.

Restaurants have manipulated tips into an art form, allowing them to remunerate substandard wages and turn tipping into a de facto standard.
I agree with what you said. I have no problem tipping for good service, but consider this: Is tipping a form of welfare for employers?

I know tipping is a long standing tradition but when did it start to spread beyond the traditional occupations who recieve tips?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
tip jars--------years back a friend of mine was going to college and had a weekend job with a catering company.

As they set up for a catered company picnic, the guy in charge showed them a trick he mastered.
At the end of the serving line he set a huge bowl marked " tips" and " primed it by putting $5 worth of quarters in the bottom.

My friend said these were rowdy factory workers with big appetites so the catering crew was kept busy.

When finally done, and clean up startred, they checked the tip bowl.

EMPTY !

IRS says you are taxed on tips.
The guy that " primed" the tip jar should file that he actually lost money on tips.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
tip jars--------years back a friend of mine was going to college and had a weekend job with a catering company.

As they set up for a catered company picnic, the guy in charge showed them a trick he mastered.
At the end of the serving line he set a huge bowl marked " tips" and " primed it by putting $5 worth of quarters in the bottom.

My friend said these were rowdy factory workers with big appetites so the catering crew was kept busy.

When finally done, and clean up startred, they checked the tip bowl.

EMPTY !
Last year, i saw a customer give an interesting tip to the snippy Moderator cut: language removed cashier behind the counter. The customer threw an empty gum wrapper in the jar. I shouldn't have laughed, but i couldn't help it. It was funny.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-21-2010 at 09:21 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 AM

143 posts, read 374,667 times
I generally ignore tip jars, but it does depend. If I know that the person behind the counter does not make anything close to minimum wage, I definitely drop some money in. For example, I interned at a small summerstock theatre one summer, and part of my grunt work was making lattes and such for all the rich patrons. I made $125/week for 14-18 hour days, six days a week. If not for those tips, I would have had a really hard time making it that summer. I also tend to tip at farmers' markets (the food vendors, that is) because I know a lot of them rely heavily on summer market revenue and might go a long winter with little money. But starbucks? No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products