Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 AM

92 posts, read 113,078 times

Advertisements

Very good. Very funny and right on target. Thanks. I'm done here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 04:07 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I have tried to do some research so that I'm somewhat educated on the newer choices/features when it comes to televisions. I too know the difference between co-ax and HDMI; composite vs component, etc. For me it comes down to price......If I'm spending money outside of my comfort zone, say over $500, I'll do research to make the most informed decision I can.

I get politely teased about this research effort. But those laughing at me call ME when THEY have questions because they know I've done the research--that they initially laughed at.

I recently spent over $10,000 updating/upgrading my HVAC system at home. It was a major investment. The first thing my salesman said to me when he came to my home to inspect/quote my purchase was, "You impressed the Sh*t out of me!" He said in his 12 years of doing what he does, maybe 2% of the homeowners spend as much time as it appeared I did in researching my options, understanding the lingo and equipment functions. I worked the numbers and options to provide the best equipment for my needs and budget with the largest rebates, tax credits and best warrantys.

Just like the OP said, it wastes everyone's time when people don't take the time to educate themselves. I guess they're the types who will buy whatever, whenever and replace it when it goes kaput.

P.S. I bought my 6' HDMI cables online for $6 each including shipping.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:43 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
TO all but one of the posters (eggalegga): How many times do I need to repeat myself?

I UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE AREN'T GOING TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT TECHNOLOGY.

Find a nerd. Make a friend. Take him/her with you to help you. Don't just go into electronics stores and say "I wants me a purty picture for $300!" Understand exactly what you want. This isn't the difference between color and black and white. "Purty picture" means a million different things to 10 million people. "Purty" as in what? Nice color saturation? Depth of picture? Antiglare? Viewing angle? Contrast? Black level? You don't need to know all of that in depth, but at least understand what they mean at a high level. Educate yourself before making the purchase and don't get suckered into stuff you don't need or won't last.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 PM

245 posts, read 585,997 times
It's just a TV.
It's for entertainment...and that's about it.
If you can't figure which one to buy after reading a few reviews on a trusted site or in a magazine,then maybe you shouldn't own one.

Not sure why YOU are "upset" about this,OP.
People make so many poor decisions daily that to even make a lack of TV knowledge even rank in the Top 100, is a sign that you don't have enough to do.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
If you can't figure which one to buy after reading a few reviews on a trusted site or in a magazine,then maybe you shouldn't own one.

Not sure why YOU are "upset" about this,OP.
You just answered your own question with the bolded statement - or actually, the failure of. People don't do that either. That's my problem.

It's not about the hardware. It's about people not doing due diligence. It's a luxury item, but if you're going to buy a TV, do research or take a friend that knows what they're talking about, instead of one suggestion in this thread of walking into the store and saying "I wants me a purty picture for $300!".

Old 07-21-2010, 07:59 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"...instead of one suggestion in this thread of walking into the store and saying "I wants me a purty picture for $300!"."

<shrug> Add two or three zeroes to that and you've just described how some people choose a mate. Should choosing a tv be any different? BTW, chill dude, you are on your way to a stroke.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:41 AM

92 posts, read 113,078 times
OK, I'm back. Please don't have a stroke. Maybe you or the company you work for could have a 15 minute primer for customers about buying one of these new-fangled televisions. I bet it would bring in some customers on Saturday morning. Or you could teach at one of the adult community education resources in your area. I might take something like that myself if I were in the market. And do get used to people's willful ignorance. You will see it whereever you go in whatever field you are interested in. Take it from me - I am a government worker. I wish you the best.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Frankly, the industry has contorted itself seven ways to Sunday in order to make a buck that it convoluted the purchase process and confuzzled, then alienated, much of the populace. It's the TV manufacturers' own fault that the sheeple are so underedumacated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Find a nerd. Make a friend. Take him/her with you to help you.
Isn't that what the salespeople at the electronics store are for? To help people with their purchases?

Barring that, where are you supposed to go to find a nerd? Nerds R Us?

Quote:
Educate yourself before making the purchase and don't get suckered into stuff you don't need or won't last.
How many times do I need to repeat myself ... Isn't that what the salespeople at the electronics store are supposed to do?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 PM

You've met nerds. Every female has definitely met nerds. They're those guys you ignore in favor of the Old Spice Guy, Fabio, Tyson Beckford, John Morrison, Randy Orton, Chris Brown, Brad Pitt, Morris Chestnut, etc etc. The guys you asked to do your homework for you.

IN all seriousness, everyone knows someone that's smarter than them, especially at your job. Befriend them.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
I understand the OPs frustration as I work with computers... With consumers - people want things cheap, fast and high quality - however with technology those three options aren't available all together..
you can have cheap and fast - no quality. you can have fast and high quality - but not cheap or cheap and high quality but not fast.

The majority of people - like 95% of them just walk into a store and say "I want this..." and purchase it without giving it a second thought.. They don't care, they don't want to care. They don't even want to THINK about it.. (thus have you really looked around at our society - thats your first clue).

I will be buying a new TV this next year (I have an ANCIENT one) and to tell you the truth - I'm totally clueless. I have NO clue what to look for in a TV. I went shopping for one about 6 months ago and thought I was going to have a seizure when I walked into the electronics store (i never buy from "marts" when it comes to electronics).. The sales man was very helpful in explaining to me the major differences in the pictures because i had a ton of questions 'why does this screen look better then this one'... etc..

When it comes time - i will do my research and choose the QUALITY over everything else..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products