Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:32 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times

Advertisements

I've never been in an Ikea store, but I recently received one of their catalogues in the mail. I saw a couple pieces that I liked (a dresser and a night table) that were reasonably priced and I'm considering going over there to purchase them.

Does anyone have any experience with their furniture, specifically the dressers? Do the bottoms of the drawers come out (like they do with that really cheapo furniture)? Or are they well-manufactured and durable?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:40 PM

93 posts, read 358,414 times
As in all things, you get what you pay for. There are basically two tiers of IKEA things- cheap things that are made cheaply and perfect for short term use, like in college. Then, they have things made of real wood that are actually a nice buy. If you can check them out in person, I would recommend it.

Plus, wandering around IKEA for 3 hours is fun.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times
Ikea wandering is fun as another poster mentioned. One thing to keep in mind with Ikea is that for the most part, you are literally "making" your furniture. The quality from pieces I have had; a toddler bed, dresser, coffee table, and accessories was fine. Nothing fell apart. Didn't have that awful dresser drawer problem you mentioned that can occur with the cheapy stuff.

Depending on what time you go, there is a frenetic-frenzy type pace and feel to the environment that can be a bit much. Do recommend the Ligonberry juice, and the cinnamon rolls from the food court.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Depending on what time you go, there is a frenetic-frenzy type pace and feel to the environment that can be a bit much. Do recommend the Ligonberry juice, and the cinnamon rolls from the food court.
I would probably go on a weekday, early morning when it won't be so crowded. I seriously hate crowds!

I'll be sure to check out that Ligonberry juice and the cinnamon rolls, too!

Quote:
they have things made of real wood that are actually a nice buy. If you can check them out in person, I would recommend it.

Plus, wandering around IKEA for 3 hours is fun.
The dresser/night stand I was looking at are listed as "solid pine" in the catalogue. I'll check them out thoroughly before buying, though.

I won't mind wandering around. I've never been there, but their catalogue makes it look like a fun place! LOL!!

Thanks!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
It is lots of fun to shop there. The aisles are arranged like the lines at Disney sort of so that you have to follow a pathway. Great Swedish meatballs.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-09-2010, 12:18 AM

609 posts, read 1,260,128 times
ikea is the best place to blow a few hours lol. i could spend forever in there. i love that a lot of their stuff has a retro feel to it, with the color and the shapes...its kinda my thing lol. i would say that not all their furniture is fabulous. i bought a cd rack that kinda sucked after awhile...but when i replaced it, my mom put it in her garden and let her climbing plants have at it lol...totally irrelevant...sorry. but my sister bought a bed for my nephew and hes had it for at least 3 years and its still in great shape. ive got no experience with their dressers though. a lot of their unfinished furniture seems to be constructed pretty well though. man...it takes me about an hour and a half to get to ikea...and i think i need to go soon now lol

Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
The prices are very reasonable, but generally it's all made in china, much of the furniture is particle board and other cheap-o materials. The items seem more geared to the college dorm / 20something first home crowd, though not entirely. I've got numerous things from ikea from a sofa, coffee table, bed, among other items. You definitely "get what you pay for" but i am happy with everything i've bought from there.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Oh man!! I just finished looking through the catalogue and they have a TON of really fun stuff!!! I don't know if 3 hours is going to be enough!!! LOL!!!!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
The food is interesting.

The furniture is decent for a dorm room and the like.

If you move a lot, plan to disassemble and reassemble the furniture as it does not do well in a moving van.

For me, I would rather buy quality furniture that will last forever than knock-down furniture that lasts 3-6 years.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
For me, I would rather buy quality furniture that will last forever than knock-down furniture that lasts 3-6 years.
Me too, but I can't afford solid wood furniture!

I like Ikea. Their designs are brilliant and stylish, but the stuff is not well-made. Looks cool, though. My favorite part was going into their display galleries where they things like a 350 sq ft apartment set up. It's fascinating how livable and efficient a very small space can be.

If you are careful with your furniture, it will last. I have three Ikea pieces (Birch laminate) and they have held up pretty well - but no kids! Like I said, I just love their simple and uncluttered-looking designs.

Take your time when you go to their store. You can get some great design ideas....be careful of some of their rugs though, they are soaked in polyurethane. I once bought a small area rug and had to air it outside for a few days before the smell went away. FWI.

Most of all, have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products