Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 02:58 AM

208 posts, read 645,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
It may not be the drivers fault - and they shouldn't be faulted.
You are right on the money with this statment Paula, which if people do not tip because the pizza is not right, then they are out the money..feel like I did a upside down flp right there...

Anyhow, the drivers do not take the order from the customer, nor do they make and bake the pizza for the customer.

They do go nuts driving in all different elements of weather, putting up with the nuts on the road, driving in areas unfamilier, to get you 'the customer ' your pizza so you can answer the door,close the door sit down and eat and watch your movie. The delivery person, walks away thinking I really needed that tip for the book for school, or the lecture I wanted to attend, or maybe just taking a nice person out on his /her dayoff.

many of these people carry this for a extra income, which means right there is a good enough reason for a tip,, they are working when many rather sponge of the gov.

for this reason in itself there is the tip. I tip heavy and yes, my son is a pizza driver for extra income. Proud of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 04:39 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
you are right ...sometimes it is our fault because we are in a rush and being yelled at by the boss to get the stuff out the door but mostly it is someone on the phone that took the order's fault...but i have made mistakes....i am human.....and i use my own vehicle and dont get paid for the repairs on the vehicle..would anyone else drive thier car and think they shouldnt get a tip for something so small....when the store will surely send out another pizza for free...i dont think any driver ive known has ever said that they were going to sabatoge a customer just for the fun of it

Old 06-27-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeedom View Post
You are right on the money with this statment Paula, which if people do not tip because the pizza is not right, then they are out the money..feel like I did a upside down flp right there...

Anyhow, the drivers do not take the order from the customer, nor do they make and bake the pizza for the customer.

They do go nuts driving in all different elements of weather, putting up with the nuts on the road, driving in areas unfamilier, to get you 'the customer ' your pizza so you can answer the door,close the door sit down and eat and watch your movie. The delivery person, walks away thinking I really needed that tip for the book for school, or the lecture I wanted to attend, or maybe just taking a nice person out on his /her dayoff.

many of these people carry this for a extra income, which means right there is a good enough reason for a tip,, they are working when many rather sponge of the gov.

for this reason in itself there is the tip. I tip heavy and yes, my son is a pizza driver for extra income. Proud of it.
THANK U FOR HAVING A HEART...SOME PEOPLE DON'T...IM SORRY MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK ON MY COMPUTER ....IM NOT YELLING...THANX THOUGH..DO UNTO OTHERS AS U WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU...I READ THAT SOMEWHERE...LOL

Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
I always tip well, if there is a problem with the order (which is rare) I take it up with management, getting angry with a pizza delivery person is like the people that took out their frustrations with the clerk at a gas station when prices went up.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 AM

110 posts, read 777,390 times
I'm amazed at the amount of some of these tips.... I don't eat pizza anymore but when we occasionally ordered in, I'd tip $2 for a $10 pie so that's the standard 20%.

Do people who live in rural areas give larger tips? I'm on LI and honestly, almost all pizza deliveries are probably to houses within a couple of miles. Maybe out on the East End the driver may have to go 5 miles but that's a lot. I can see giving large(r) tips to drivers who have to spend a lot of time and distance to make the delivery but here on LI I bet most deliveries take between 5 and 10 minutes from store to door.

Honestly I think a server in a restaurant does more to earn their tip than a pizza delivery person does. I usually tip 20% in a restaurant but it does depend on the service, if we get sloppy inattentive or incorrect service I will tip less and won't go back. Our sales tax is 8.63% so many people just double the tax and round up to the nearest dollar, which comes out to about 19%. Otherwise I look at the total amount of the check, with sales tax, take 20% of that and round either up or down to the nearest whole dollar.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:33 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
Not to jack the thread or anything, but for the pizza dudes, how much do you get paid in an average week, full time or part time, minus the cost of gas & repairs? I'm looking for another job and any info would be appreciated.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
We always tip well. My experience shows that people who use their own vehicles to deliver things or perform services for a large business (whether it be pizza delivery, cable installer, couriers or owner/operator truckers) usually come out on the short end of the stick: Think about it; why would you provide your own vehicle if you could just contract with someone to provide a vehicle and let THEM have all the headaches and expense of ownership and you just pay them a fixed rate???

Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
Don't delivery people still get at least paid minimum wage, though? I'm pretty sure there is a federal law that requires employers to make up the difference, if the server's tips, added to the waitstaff hourly wage, do not add up to the minimum wage.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:30 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Of course I tip...if you're delivering food to my home and keeping me from having to go pick it up myself at times, then heck yea you're getting money from me!!

And no I don't blame the delivery person for mistakes on the order..when and if it does happen, I still tip the driver for their time and effort, but I make sure I call the pizza place and tell them the order was wrong or something was missing. Usually on the next order, they make sure it's correct and/or I get a discount, but as I said, it rarely happens anymore.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdrgal View Post
Honestly I think a server in a restaurant does more to earn their tip than a pizza delivery person does. I usually tip 20% in a restaurant but it does depend on the service, if we get sloppy inattentive or incorrect service I will tip less and won't go back. Our sales tax is 8.63% so many people just double the tax and round up to the nearest dollar, which comes out to about 19%. Otherwise I look at the total amount of the check, with sales tax, take 20% of that and round either up or down to the nearest whole dollar.

In some cases the servers do more but if they are only working a rush or late shift they do less than a driver that closes...alot less......drivers clean the store and do alot of other duties throughout the day....just read my opening statement on all that we do as drivers...and i stopped at number 4...but there is more we deal with.....it is not the toughest job, but there are lots of people who dont know all that we deal with.....

do you drive in traffic and ever get mad at people around you and yell at anyone?.....well we do drive more than the average person and see more b.s. out there on the road...but guess what?...we cant respond by yelling or venting at someone who cuts us off......it is really frustrating not being able to say something to someone who cuts you off or almost hits your vehicle....and we also have a target on us by having our signs on our roof...so we dont get to get awat with mistakes that other drivers do.....

example....i am cautious in parking lots and neighborhoods with kids when it is light outside and even in the dark too, but i was in a zone where it said 30 mph was the speed limit of that street......i was doing about 25 being cautious and then some lady yelled at me that i was speeding......and that i needed to slow down before she called the store.......well i couldnt say anything back to her since i am at work and she wasnt and she was free to curse, yell, or whatever against me since she had no company sign on her that i could complain about...so i just said ok...ill try to go slower....but i get harassed like this alot.......

I do know a couple drivers that do speed and drive carelessly...but in my experience i have been in a couple wrecks which were not my fault ...(hit n runs) and ive heard stories about people getting hit while walking....so i am extra carefull out there.......

we cant say anything back to a group of guys that mess with us when we get to the door either....at least at a resturant if the waiter is being harassed then someone else could take over his table or he can tell his boss and they can do something ....

Out on our deliveries we run into people that harass us all the time but we cant do anything and have to stay quite for our job and for our safety....if i talked back ....i wouldnt know if that person could pull out a gun or just try to get his buddies and beat my....you know what....so i try to just let them have thier fun and move on to the next one after being humiliated....

being a driver is frustrating but its rewarding as well we do have the benifit of being out away from our boss for a while and listening to the radio or smoking if you smoke......we can stop for something to eat......and we have the feel of cash in our hands everynight.....

but there are alot of frustrations we deal with when dealing with different types of driving styles and different types and moods of people when getting to thier door....nothing is making them behave in a decent manner when we get there except for thier character alone......my boss cant help me out there alone if someone wants to rob me or jump me over food or money....and we do have alot of labor to deal with if you are a closing driver....and answer phones and sometimes help make the food.......its alot more than what most people think unless they have done the job......do you like your car to get run down?.......some of us have to do this job....because after tips the pay is decent enough to pay the bills......and for people like me without a degree it is one of the only kind of jobs i could find without the degree that pays this good in Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products