Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:39 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times

Advertisements

I live in Orlando and have been a delivery driver for a pizza place for a while......I have frustrations with alot of people that do not understand that tipping a pizza driver is considered the"right thing to do"....and it shows appreciation that you are greatfull of his services......

We bring food to your work or to your house so you don't have to waist your time or gas driving to our store to order.....

Personally I love this job ...its not the toughest thing in the world but alot of people who havent done it before have a real deception of all that goes on while we are working to get you your meal.....the following is some info that i really think needs to be shared with a portion of the public..(non-tippers)

1) We make less than minimum wage an hour, so we really live off of our tips.....alot of people know this but there are those who act like we get 8 - 9 dollars an hour.

2) We use our own vehicle...its not like our company pays for repairs or like i have an extra car to drive in outside of work...i drive my pizza delivery car for work and home duties.......

3) I dont just take food from a store to a location and thats it........i have many other duties in which i get payed less than the minimum wage for.....i clean dishes, take garbage out, clean the restroom, take peoples' orders on the phone and in the carryout (which is frustrating sometimes).., i take deliveries to places far from the store knowing that the people arent going to tip me when i know that specific customers habits, I also clean the store before i go home which involves about 35 minutes to an hour of labor everynight, and i help make pizzas and prepare the food when it comes out of the oven then i replenish the food that needs to be refilled throughout the night.....

I have more but i will stop with this one

4) The driver gets treated like he is the one who took your order and had the bad attitude when you were talking to him/her(it isnt bad attitude when we ask a customer to repeat things..but the customer gets the attitude for having to repeat it and then the driver gets the backlash from it) .....the customer thinks its "all" the drivers fault that an order is late......this is not true in most cases.....i usually treat the customer on the phone better than an insider would because i have to see the customer face to face and i wanna work to get a good tip....so bad service on the phone usually doesnt come from the driver that takes your call and we will usually give a better estimate of how long it takes for your delivery to get there....the insider only tells you 30-45 minutes becaue they read a computer screen that tells them to say that.....
It isnt our fault that the order is late in most cases....stores keep track of their delivery times and the boss gets a bonus if it is kept at a certain time therefore the system will give out unrealistic times for when the delivery will make it to your door.....i have come back from a delivery and i come into the store and its really busy right?....then my boss tells me to take 3 orders and the first 2 were called in by the customer about 35 minutes ago.....well i just got back to the store and the deliveries i am taking are both far away ....about 15 minute drive but i only have 10 minutes to get there before they are late ....plus i have another delivery that is not so late but it will be hard to get there on time after dropping the first 2 that are going to be late....this is not my fault it is the system of the pizza store and the times they give out to let you think you will have good service....we try our hardest to get it there....

Sorry that was so long but can anyone tell me your reasons for not tipping the pizza driver?....be honest if its a racial thing too......or if it is just something you didnt know was so important to the driver.....Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 05:47 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
I know several pizza delivery drivers have the same complaint as you.I can't explain why all people don't tip,but my husband and I are good tippers,especially because of the gas prices.We realize cars don't run on air.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:01 AM

Thanx for the response.....i do appreciate the good tippers like you and your husband.....i treat everyone as good as i can with my personality the way God made me.....and do my job and that's all i can do...and the people like you that do tip are remembered and help me to work another day and help us as drivers to have hope that there are good mannered people in the world......we always feel great getting tips....and hope you feel good giving as well and hope its returned in someway in your life and other tippers lives.....i know that's corny but i mean that because i have the giving heart too.....thanx again

Old 06-26-2007, 06:20 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
On a medium pizza with two toppings, I always give the driver $5.00. If I order wings along with the pizza, I add a few extra dollars. My additude is time is money

Old 06-26-2007, 06:20 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
I certainly understand the tipping thing,back in 84-85 I waitressed and was pregnant.Very hard work and I made $1.76 an hour.My paycheck was nothing I depended on those tips to survive.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
I live too far out in the sticks to have pizza delivery, but even I tip well when the situation should arise that we are somewhere and order a pizza.

I have heard many people say that when a delivery charge is included in the bill, they should not have to tip the driver, as the extra money for delivery should be going to the deliverer. I am aware that this is not always the case, but from the customer side, it does make sense.

Now I'm curious, though- do you recieve "waitress" wage?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:59 AM

56 posts, read 313,044 times
I always tip the person delivering my food. depends on if theyre nice or not but usually they will get a couple of bucks

Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
If I have a $30 bill I usually tip $5-$6 the pizza guy. Is that good?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:30 AM

it's good to see all the tippers on here....where are the non-tippers so i can give them some knowledge or maybe they are feeling guilty and cant read past the first sentence....lol...just kidding but not really...lol

yeah the "delivery charge" ...well some of it does go to us for our milage but some doesnt....the part that doesnt goes to the company for the cost of delivering the food to each store from thier big trucks...therefore they call it "delivery charge" and we get punished from the name of the charge...maybe they should change it to "Service Charge" ...thats sounds better to me...thanx to everyone for thier responses...and honesty

Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
We always tip the driver ... It may not be much, but he/she always gets something. Our bill is usually around $16 or $17, and we hand the driver a $20 bill and tell him/her to keep the change.

People might think that the dollar or two extra they pay for delivery covers the drivers' expenses, or might not realize that drivers don't make minimum wage. I dunno ... You see the cars the drivers are driving, and you know they're not getting rich off their delivery job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products