Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 08:17 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

LovinCarl - I think you need to move to Europe where they don't have the tipping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 07:47 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I eat at a smorgasboard buffet once in a while and you serve yourself, get your own drinks, etc. You are not supposed to tip so I don't. It is covered in the price.
Other places are cheaper( chinese all you can eat, another buffet) and also mostly self serve( you get your own food but they refill your drinks). I tip about 10% or a little more at those places. Tipping is part of the costs of eating out. So is tipping the delivery driver. The person is bringing food to your door, that is a service. The restaurant is paying him but nobody would do that job if nobody tipped. If you can't or won't tip, don't be a slob and get the pizza yourself. I get my own pizza 90% of the time just to save the 5 dollars or so I'd have to tip.
Now tip jars are another story. If its take out, I never tip more than a dollar. Maybe 2 if its a sit down place. But to earn that tip I want to be thanked and a the person should be friendly and courteous and even appear happy to have my business. That goes for sit in full service restaurants. Nobody likes a server that doesn't smile, is not friendly or doesn't try to make your meal enjoyable or see you get what you want. Those people don't last long because they can't figure out why nobody tips them.
If people know you tip, they serve you better.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_stein23 View Post
lmao, not me dude...if the person is poor he/she shouldn't be ordering room service and I don't appreciate a customer that don't tip; in fact I'd remember the cheap a s s e s the next time around and make sure they they get an unpleasant dining experience. By the way, we do keep a log!
And just how would you do that Bob?

Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_stein23 View Post
Well Houston, I do that in several ways. First i let my fellow drivers know about the stingy customer ( let's call him Tyrone) so we all operate in the same manner. Since I almost always have several deliveries on the same run, Tyrone will get his food last. If it's during the summer, Tyrone's food will be by the A.C. vent getting nice and cold unless it's a salad of course..In the winter , it will rest in the backseat next to an opened window to preserve it well under 20 deg.F..now the fun part. As a smoker, why would i use my ashtray when Tyrone's pizza is nearby! I'm talking about an additional topping at no charge here! and there's no better time to check my oil so i can smear some motor oil on my fingers and wipe it with tyrone's pizza box for added flavor. After i get to Tyrone, i greet him nicely with a big smile and tell him how much i enjoy free deliveries. I do not give him any flyer coupons hoping he won't order again, and in case he does, I would insist on having the coupon otherwise Tyrone will have to pay full price...There's much more we could do, i bet you'd like to know..don't you?
Federal Crimes..... Tampering with a food product... Plus someone may end up owning the pizza store you are working for, if you get caught..

Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
When i am not making my home made italian pizzas being ITALIAN, I WILL always tip at least $5.00 depnding on how long i have to wait. You guys have some cheap pizza places where you live, our bill is usually around $40.00 at least, then i will tip more, again, depending on the wait, one time we were told half an hour, and the pizza did not come for over 1 1/2 hours, needless to say, in that amount of time, could of made the darn thing. Tip depends on our bill, and the wait.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,070 times
I hope for all you NON-tippers you are enjoying the ****ty service you will get with your order each time you order and don't tip. Customers like that are certainly not my main priority at my job. Besides being a dangerous job, it is also costly to the driver to bring you your food because you're cheap and lazy and don't want to use your own gas or time to pick up your dinner. Or because the weather has dangerous driving conditions but we are still out working to bring dinner to your family. Not to mention the risk of robbery and the wear and tear on the car, on top of being a good target for your kids to play pranks on ordering pizza to a wrong address. Risking automobile accidents or saving you from getting a DUI. You're right, drivers don't deserve tips, what was anyone thinking. I think you should check out [url=http://WWW.TIPTHEPIZZAGUY.COM]Remember To Tip The Pizza Delivery Driver[/url]

Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,070 times
P.S. Especially the ones who complain just to get a free meal. You didn't pay for your meal, you didn't even leave your house, and you can't fork over a few dollars....SERIOUSLY?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
It is only common sense to tip the pizza driver, we also tip furniture delivery people, it is just the right thing to do. We also tip the pizza driver pretty good, usually $5.00 at least that much.But now saying this, is for great tasting Pizza being Italian, and how long it takes for the pizza to get to us, if taking to long, i can make it myself. If the service is terrible, i will not tip, and will call them up, and tell them what the problem is, i usually get my way, you must speak up, if businesses do not know there is a problem, how can they make it better, And believe me, if there is a problem, i will speak up.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVmyBOYS2 View Post
I hope for all you NON-tippers you are enjoying the ****ty service you will get with your order each time you order and don't tip. Customers like that are certainly not my main priority at my job. Besides being a dangerous job, it is also costly to the driver to bring you your food because you're cheap and lazy and don't want to use your own gas or time to pick up your dinner. Or because the weather has dangerous driving conditions but we are still out working to bring dinner to your family. Not to mention the risk of robbery and the wear and tear on the car, on top of being a good target for your kids to play pranks on ordering pizza to a wrong address. Risking automobile accidents or saving you from getting a DUI. You're right, drivers don't deserve tips, what was anyone thinking. I think you should check out Remember To Tip The Pizza Delivery Driver
I almost always go out myself and pick up pizza instead of having it delivered because if it's wrong (which half the time it is) then they can correct it quickly while I wait. Also, I find that no matter how much I tip the pizza guy the pizza is usually cold when it arrives if I do have it delivered. Not worth the tip IMHO. I don't live far from the pizza joint either; it's a 3 minute drive door to door and I do not even have to cross any busy roads. So to me there is no excuse for it being cold.

That being said I do tip the pizza guy or Chinese food guy (or gal) on the very rare occasions that they come here. The size of the tip depends on how big the order was and how prompt they were. (If it's a Saturday night or there's a big game on, I realize it will take longer and take that into account.)

Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
I tip everyone that is providing a service in the service industry. And, if I can't afford to tip, I do not utilize their services- 20% is the norm, but if they go above and beyond I aim for a bit higher.

I even tip the cashier at Dunkin Donuts after she/he makes my coffee and rings me up ... I drop 50-cents into their cup that's usually on the counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products