Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 11:08 AM

125 posts, read 76,016 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to avoid going into places where there are people to avoid the covid. Shopping online just isnt the same (and you have to use a debit or credit card). Please, retailers, put some of your stuff outside for an outdoor experience, including produce, and let us pay outside, too. I've seen two gas stations that have things outside that you can pay for outside. We need more of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 05:39 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
Yes, there's nothing like shopping in-person! I never minded online shopping either though. However, in my area enough places are actually open to shop (malls, etc.), as long as you don't mind standing in line to enter most stores, so that makes it feel not the same. Now, you can really see which store(s) is/are the most popular.

I do see a few stores who've moved their merchandise outdoors, but it's nothing I personally need or need badly enough to browse out in the hot sun, but it's nice for those who want it.

Farmers' Markets are mostly open. One in my area has closed up, but they still have another in another location of the city & another about 20 min away, I believe that's open.

Bath & BodyWorks ALWAYS without fail has a line to enter. That seems to be the most popular store everywhere. I just order online for those products. I can understand getting hand soaps, but I guess people need lotions & cnadles that badly, which I don't.

Sephora seems to be the next most popular store, but even at the store, they don't let you test out anything, so you just have to buy & if it's not the right color, you return it. SO you basically can only see makeup shades w/ your naked eye. I can order & get free shipping here.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:39 AM

You just reminded me of an outdoor mall near me. I was there around Christmas and some of the lines I saw was for 'it's sugar' (candy store), a cosmetics store and reeboks, which must have done some online advertising, because I couldn't tell what the sale was about. It happened to be fairly warm that day, so everyone and their brother were over there. On a cold day, it's a ghost town. I wouldn't mind if it were freezing. I would run over, get what I needed, and run back to warmth. I'd rather be cold for a while than catch the covid. There were no items outside any store. There was, however, a person offering samples of beer (not really what I was looking for). What I was looking for was some candy, so when I got inside 'it's sugar', the short line was forever, so I had to leave or risk catching the you know what. I never got my candy on that sad day, boo hoo.

You made a very interesting comment about the lines outside a store. Someone can tell how popular a store is based on the line outside. Good point. They care about social distancing too, if they're limiting the amount of people inside. Health before profits is good!

Old 01-19-2021, 03:45 PM

Even pre-COVID, I've always tried to avoid crowds as much as I could. Of course you can't help it at times though. But these days, I really make sure to try to by:

- going to stores at opening times
- going on weekdays, preferrably M-W, sometimes even Th & definitely Fridays are more crowded

I'll go more often to OUTDOOR malls as opposed to indoor malls these days too. It's of course more airy.

We just do the very best we can, you know!

Old 01-19-2021, 06:19 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times
I've always disliked crowds and have shopped on-line for years. SO prefer it. I know what I like, what sizes I wear, so going to a B&M store is just not necessary for me.

I have limited my Costco visits to every six weeks or so and my grocery store is ALdi - very rarely packed or any lines.

I have had to wait in a line to get into Trader Joe's but I stocked up on my 21 Seasonings Salute and almond croissants last visit about three months ago.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:23 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
You have to be careful while shopping online. Last week I ordered a fishing rod and reel for my SO and they delivered 2 pairs of shoes ( in my size).

Old 01-19-2021, 06:34 PM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times
I too miss shopping in-store - didn't do it much in cold weather but it was something to do in the warmer months and give me some exercise walking between stores. Not that I bought much if at all and I always went weekdays when "in the before-times" stores were less empty. I don't like to shop on-line, you can get a real feel for the product, size, quality, etc.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've always disliked crowds and have shopped on-line for years. SO prefer it. I know what I like, what sizes I wear, so going to a B&M store is just not necessary for me.

I have limited my Costco visits to every six weeks or so and my grocery store is ALdi - very rarely packed or any lines.

I have had to wait in a line to get into Trader Joe's but I stocked up on my 21 Seasonings Salute and almond croissants last visit about three months ago.

Re: normally-crowded places such as Costco, I like them, but have literally only been 2x in these last 10 mos of COVID. With Walmart, I only went about 2-3 times in the last 10 mos too & that's THE ONLY times I've had to actually stand in a line to enter any store.

Re: Trader Joe's, they're 1 of my favorite grocery stores, but I have a new favorite as well called Winco Foods. They're open 24 hrs.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:49 PM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
I really haven't stopped going out shopping...

They say "the masks work", right? So what's the big deal

Old 01-21-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

The Aldi near me is crowded the minute they open. It is a small store though.
The nearest Trader Joe has a long line, even for senior hour, I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products