U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:07 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,636,327 times

Advertisements

Why is there so many dollar stores in 'da hood'...?

Seems everytime I turn around, a new one is under construction...

Dollar store
Dollar General
Super dollar store
Discount dollar
Family dollar

I mean on and on and on...

Why do they, the people who open these stores, underestimate the spending or buying power of people in 'da hood'??

I've never seen so many nice cars before...

People will rise up to whatever bar or expectations you have for them...
And by constantly granting building permits for these dollar stores, what sublime message does that send to people in 'da hood'?

It's basically saying 'you cheap, can't afford much, so we'll make it easy for ya by stuffing as many dollar stores in 'da hood' that we can, and you can discover how amazingly well Chinese products are made'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:15 PM

12,387 posts, read 11,822,610 times
Do you live in "da hood" or just do drive bys?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 PM

12,371 posts, read 7,956,797 times
You've got to be kidding. There are tons of dollar stores in ALL neighborhoods. I live in a upper middle class neighborhood of mostly houses built within the last 10 years and we have at least 8 dollar stores within a 5-6 mile radius. My brother lives in a very small, stereotypical all-American town and he has two of them there. They are just a recycled version of the dime stores of the 30s to 50s, Nothing new here to be your panties in a bunch over.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,286,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Why is there so many dollar stores in 'da hood'...?

Seems everytime I turn around, a new one is under construction...

Dollar store
Dollar General
Super dollar store
Discount dollar
Family dollar

I mean on and on and on...

Why do they, the people who open these stores, underestimate the spending or buying power of people in 'da hood'??

I've never seen so many nice cars before...

People will rise up to whatever bar or expectations you have for them...
And by constantly granting building permits for these dollar stores, what sublime message does that send to people in 'da hood'?

It's basically saying 'you cheap, can't afford much, so we'll make it easy for ya by stuffing as many dollar stores in 'da hood' that we can, and you can discover how amazingly well Chinese products are made'...
This is so stoopid.

It looks like someone has been watching "BET" or TVone". You learn something new..."da hood". Good boy!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 PM

26,913 posts, read 17,870,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You've got to be kidding. There are tons of dollar stores in ALL neighborhoods. I live in a upper middle class neighborhood of mostly houses built within the last 10 years and we have at least 8 dollar stores within a 5-6 mile radius. My brother lives in a very small, stereotypical all-American town and he has two of them there. They are just a recycled version of the dime stores of the 30s to 50s, Nothing new here to be your panties in a bunch over.
Yes, they are all over the NYC boroughs too. To the OP...it keeps Chinese worker in China woking and growing their economy...BUY AMERICAN!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 PM

381 posts, read 619,622 times
With the economy at an all-time low, there are dollar stores popping up, not only in "da hood", but all over the place! People are suffering all over the country, in all income brackets and areas-suburbs and urban!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,478,912 times
One chain of dollar stores here is closing...........don't know if that's due to the economy (one wouldn't think so) or just lousy management

Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM

183 posts, read 149,883 times
Supply-demand. If no one was shopping there they would not build them there. Pretty simple answer.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:42 PM

9,926 posts, read 10,523,684 times
I think these stores are considered a good investment they have been holding their own in this economy. If you want to get rich you have sell some thing even poor people can't do with out, i.e., toilet paper, dish soap,etc. You can feed a small family cheap and nutritious on around ten bucks. Rice, canned Yams, canned collard greens, I like that store when I get broke.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 PM

183 posts, read 149,883 times
They are nice to have around when money is scarce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products