Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,157 times

Advertisements

Below my 1 - 6 rants, is a link to the article...

1. Movie Theater Popcorn - Most always took my own snacks into a movie, when I could afford it, and bought only a high priced soda.

2. Greeting Cards - Always bought the ones on the .99 cent shelf. Don't see much of reason to spend more than that on a piece of cardboard that will only be 86'd.

3. College Textbooks - That's a laugh. Not everyone can be college material. My Mother was lucky to be able to pay for my high school books.

4. Bottled Water - Big waste of money. Never bought into this one. Ever. Someone else getting rich on the fears of others.

5. Printer Ink - Go to a printing place for your copies. It's cheaper. Hell, I'm sure most of us are lucky to have internet anyway.

6. Brand-Name Fashions - This is nothing more than to show how stupid one can be blowing money. I agree that some clothes on the less expensive side have craftsmanship issues, but that's what fiting rooms are for.

Last part of article...

The recession has hit many households hard, and thousands of broke consumers are passing on these and other overpriced products. So, does that mean the inflated prices of these items will eventually fall? Only time will tell. In the meantime, you may want to check your bank account before you hit the movie theater snack bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times
How about overpriced hair care products? I used to pay 20.00 for conditioner because I swore it works better on my naturally curly hair-until I used one that was 3.00 and my hair looked the same:0

Old 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM

474 posts, read 904,942 times
Nothing is more overpriced than bottled water.

I agree on hair care by the way. I wanted some clarifying shampoo (to remove chlorine from my hair). Paul Mitchell was $18 and another national, but value brand was $2. There is no way the PM product is $16 better per bottle.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I just can't get it! In Europe bottled water is way, way cheaper than any soda or juice. Here a 12 pack of canned water cost exactly the same as 12 pack of brand soda like coke or sprite.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:18 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here a 12 pack of canned water cost exactly the same as 12 pack of brand soda like coke or sprite.
That is actually a not too bad of a price, when you take into account that the soda/soft drink, is nothing more than the bottled water with some flavor in it.
Only thinking math now ...

Old 09-02-2010, 02:27 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
It should cost less: same water, no added taste...

Old 09-02-2010, 02:45 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,098 times
HDMI / USB / Computer and TV cables in general. An HDMI cable like you'd use to hook up a dvd player to a high-def TV costs FIFTY DOLLARS at Target (as of 2008, last time I looked). Online at monoprice (that is a website) it is less than $3 for the same cable. Ditto for USB cables, $20 at best buy and a buck online. Same cable.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
1. Movie Theater Popcorn
Then people would complain about more ads before the movie as a way to make up revenue.

Quote:
2. Greeting Cards
If I'm actually going to take the time to go buy a card, I want a nice one. If it costs a couple of bucks...no biggie....I rarely buy them for anyone so why not splurge a little

Quote:
3. College Textbooks
They seemed expensive at the time (and still are). But 20 years later they have more than paid for themselves...and I can afford a $4.00 greeting card and some movie popcorn if I wish because I paid for those books way back when.

Quote:
4. Bottled Water
Sometimes if I am out and about, getting on a flight, or want something to drink while I am driving, but don't want a soda, I'll buy a bottle of water - if only because its more convenient than carrying a cup around with me all the time.

Quote:
5. Printer Ink - Go to a printing place for your copies. It's cheaper.
What if you want to print something out at home? How much gas and time will you spend going elsewhere to print something?

Quote:
6. Brand-Name Fashions - This is nothing more than to show how stupid one can be blowing money.
Nothing wrong with wanting to buy nice clothes...and one gets what one pays for. Personally, I'm basically a jeans and t-shirt guy on the weekends, but I wear suits to work and there is a huge difference between an $80 suit from WalMart or wherever and fine, tailored suit.

But with that - everyone has something that they choose to spend their disposable income on that someone else may think is a waste of money. So what...who really cares what other people choose to spend their money on?

Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Just bought a case of water at the store today. 24 1 pint bottles for $2.99 which is just over .12 cents per bottle. Overpriced, i think not.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,980,819 times
Furniture is overpriced. Especially Bassett Furniture. The quality sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products