Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
How exactly do you use the wrong type or do something wrong with a light bulb
Could be the wrong wattage for the fixture.

Could also have a faulty fixture or a problem with your wiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Could be the wrong wattage for the fixture.

Could also have a faulty fixture or a problem with your wiring.
never said the problem was with a single fixture, or even a single location for that matter. It's ok though, I've stocked up on incandescents

Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times
I find it laughable that, with all going on, the govts. big concern is light bulbs.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
never said the problem was with a single fixture, or even a single location for that matter. It's ok though, I've stocked up on incandescents
Have fun with that.

If you turn your CFL on for only a few minutes then turn it off and do that over and over, that could be why. Try googling it sometime. That's the number one reason for complaints like yours.

Enjoy your incandescent bulbs while you still have them. The end is near.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:41 PM

422 posts, read 792,117 times
I have never had one that lasted more than 2 years. I see nothing wrong with incancesdents. They are much cheaper, and produce more light. People seem to think that a CFL is a good decision because it will save them money, I have found this to be completely false.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:45 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
I have never had one that lasted more than 2 years. I see nothing wrong with incancesdents. They are much cheaper, and produce more light. People seem to think that a CFL is a good decision because it will save them money, I have found this to be completely false.
Not to mention that when you break one the area becomes a hazardous materials scene. Just imagine all that mercury going to landfills, doesn't seem to environmentally friendly to me.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Not to mention that when you break one the area becomes a hazardous materials scene. Just imagine all that mercury going to landfills, doesn't seem to environmentally friendly to me.
It only goes to a landfill if you don't dispose of it properly. You can recycle them at any Home Depot or Ikea, and probably other places if you take the few minutes and figure out who else recycles them. Once you know how to dispose of them properly...if you don't...then the resulting pollution is due solely to your own laziness.

You're also not taking into consideration the mercury vapor released into the air by power plants having to produce more power to feed incandescent bulbs. Unlike the mercury in a CFL, that mercury cannot be recaptured. So...there goes that argument.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:25 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
CFL are filled with toxic mercury. They should be banned. This is just another case of the government picking winners and losers. The cure is worse than they symptoms when it comes to CFL's. Oh, it is a job killer in the USA to boot! I've known about this for a couple of years and if/until LED technology can replace the incandescent this is just stupid.
LED technology can and will take over for incandescent light (together with Halogen lights) CFL's should be banned too.

LED technology has reached a point where it'll provide the same amount of light as regular light bulbs at a fraction of the wattage used (and in any color spectrum you'd want), with astonishing lifetimes. (between 20-100,000 hours). They might be several times the price in initial purchase price, but they pay themselves time and time again throughout their lifespan.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:09 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Yeah, I can't wait for LEDs to come into common household use.

I haven't had any problem with CFLs other than some types have to warm up to give full brightness. The vanity type ones are bad for this, but the outdoor floodlight (PAR type) ones absolutely suck, especially when it's cold weather. I've stocked up on incandescent PAR bulbs...hopefully enough to last until there's an LED alternative. Are LEDs affected by cold? They don't seem to be, at least the ones on my bus aren't...

Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It only goes to a landfill if you don't dispose of it properly. You can recycle them at any Home Depot or Ikea, and probably other places if you take the few minutes and figure out who else recycles them. Once you know how to dispose of them properly...if you don't...then the resulting pollution is due solely to your own laziness.

You're also not taking into consideration the mercury vapor released into the air by power plants having to produce more power to feed incandescent bulbs. Unlike the mercury in a CFL, that mercury cannot be recaptured. So...there goes that argument.
Specious argument. The amount of energy used to power CFL instead of incandescent is minute compared to what we use to run AC, refrigerators, furnaces, etc.

I am also collecting incandescent bulbs. I tried the "equivalent" CFL and found the amount of light was considerably less. So much so that I was getting headaches from eye strain.

If they would replace incandescent with CFL that actually produced the same amount of light I'd switch in a heartbeat, but I'll not go blind for the cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products