Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Specious argument. The amount of energy used to power CFL instead of incandescent is minute compared to what we use to run AC, refrigerators, furnaces, etc.

I am also collecting incandescent bulbs. I tried the "equivalent" CFL and found the amount of light was considerably less. So much so that I was getting headaches from eye strain.

If they would replace incandescent with CFL that actually produced the same amount of light I'd switch in a heartbeat, but I'll not go blind for the cause.
I haven't found the light produced by CFLs to be inadequate at all. However I am sensitive to bright light and I prefer dimmer lighting in my house. I don't even turn on the overhead light in my den unless I'm doing something that needs bright light, like vacuuming (so I can see the dirt better) or clipping coupons (so I can read the fine print). Otherwise I prefer lower lighting. My kitchen is lit with CFLs and it is very bright.

95% of the bulbs in this house are CFLs and people are always surprised when I point it out because the lighting in here is warm and bright when the overheads are turned on. *shrug*

However I am looking forward to LEDs...I haven't switched because of the high cost and limited selection in this area but once they're widely available, I will be making the switch to LEDs as my CFLs burn out. That may be a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 08:20 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The article is from 2007, but the ban is coming up in less than two years.
FAQ: The End of the Light Bulb as We Know It - US News and World Report

In defense of the light bulb:
A Defense of the Incandescent Light Bulb - NYTimes.com
TedMag.com - Special Report
I tried using those bulbs but didn't like the dimness. They are just not very bright. It's pitiful that we are not given a choice.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
There should not have been a government ban on incandescent bulbs. Let the customers decide. All the lights inside my home are CFL. But in the winter months when it's cold outside, it's best to have an incandescent bulb. The colder the weather, the lower the amount of light from the bulb. My wife really likes the CFL bulbs I installed in our nightstand lamps. They put out the light of a 40 watt bulb. But when you first turn them on, they're dim. That's a good thing if you turn on the lamp at night or early morning. I have similiar bulbs in my living room ceiling fan. They come on dim but gradually warm up. It's enough to light up the living room without being very bright. The early CFL bulbs we had regularly burned out within a year or two. They now sell outdoor light socket adaptors (dusk till dawn or motion sensor) that work with CFL.

went to Lowes today and they had LED bulbs that put out the light of 35, 40, 65, and 75 watt bulbs. Don't think I'm ready to spend $30 to $45 for one light bulb just yet. Many restaurants have made the switch to LED for the lights that hang over the table. That's good business sense with this being hot and humid South Louisiana

Old 10-02-2010, 04:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
went to Lowes today and they had LED bulbs that put out the light of 35, 40, 65, and 75 watt bulbs. Don't think I'm ready to spend $30 to $45 for one light bulb just yet.
I'm with you on that....I like some of the new LED lights but I'm waiting for the prices to come down first. As my CFL bulbs burn out, I will replace them with LEDs. As long as it will takes the CFLs to burn out, the LEDs should have come down in price by then!

Old 10-02-2010, 04:19 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,399 times
Those LED bulbs are not "greener" than the bulb ones! Not at all!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Those LED bulbs are not "greener" than the bulb ones! Not at all!
I'm not replacing my bulbs to be "green". I'm doing it to save money on my electric bill.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm not replacing my bulbs to be "green". I'm doing it to save money on my electric bill.
Ok... you'll pay less on your electric bill but you'll have to change your bulbs more frequent and the bulbs are more expensive! I don't think that in the end you'll save any money! Right now the classic bulbs are more reliable and cheaper in the long term! Probably in the future the situation will be different!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Ok... you'll pay less on your electric bill but you'll have to change your bulbs more frequent and the bulbs are more expensive! I don't think that in the end you'll save any money! Right now the classic bulbs are more reliable and cheaper in the long term! Probably in the future the situation will be different!
When CFL bulbs first came out, they were horrible. I would buy one to try and see how the lasted. I even wrote the date installed so I would know exactly how long they lasted before burning out. As their quality imporved, I began buying more. Most of today's CFL bulbs do last nearly as long as promised. I've had the same bulbs in my most of my lamps and light fixtures for over 5 years now. The only CFL bulbs I've had problems with were the early 3 way bulbs. The two CFL three way bulbs I've gotten recently have not gone out so they've probably fixed the problems I had with the early models. LED bulbs do last much longer. I bought the Maglite AA LED flashlight when they first came out. I use it every day at work several times a day. They make my batteries last longer and it still works fine. I live in south Louisiana. The other reason for wanted to switch to CFL, and hopefully LED when the prices come down, is the heat put out by the traditional incandescent bulbs. As I've said before, I was not in favor of a government ban on incandescent bulbs. I like having incandescent bulbs for outdoor lighting because of winter. LED bulbs aren't effected by cold winter temperatures. LED puts out less heat than CFL, use less energy than CFL, and last longer than CFL. I'm willing to buy an LED bulb for a few bucks more than the current cost of CFL because of the long life and energy saving.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:26 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Why do they have to have that helix shape, I wonder. I just do not like the way that they look in my hanging lamps. They are harsh & ruin the soft lighting . I guess I will have to stock up on the regular kind.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Why do they have to have that helix shape, I wonder. I just do not like the way that they look in my hanging lamps. They are harsh & ruin the soft lighting . I guess I will have to stock up on the regular kind.
Not all CFL have that shape or look. Some look similiar to traditional bulbs along with the soft light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products