Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 AM

115 posts, read 232,852 times

Advertisements

I go on the Craig's List for people selling used and seacond hand items and see a place in Great Neck that is flooding Craig's List with postings of their store closing that is obviously a scam and in the wrong category. They actually buy items from Direct Buy and try to resell it for more money on Craig's List and I believe Craig's List in only for people selling second hand. They flood the list with constant scam postings. I flag their posting whenever I see it but it doesn't get their posting removed. Craig's List is unresponsive and I wonder if anyone can tell me how to get their scam removed when flagging does no good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 08:51 AM

886 posts, read 2,641,710 times
I have used CL solely for dumping stuff for free.Just recently we upgraded to flatscreens and had two 300+ lb 36" Sonys that had to go. Pic and post at 8am and both gone by 2pm.That easy.To buy anything from it is suspect unless you are wise enough to know exactly what you want. Computers and cars are a big no.Resellers swarm CL both as buyers and sellers.I have found shelving and file cabinets for free and had our grounds dept pick them up for use at work.Teahcers were happy and dumper was happy.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,657,128 times
There isn't anything you can do - CL is free to use and no registration is required so it attracts a lot of scams, unlike ebay. I've used CL to sell a few things (bikes, strollers, patio set) but never to buy.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,923,411 times
CL is full of not just scammers, but the truly unaware.

Who is going to buy your king size bedroom set for MORE than they could buy it at retail, brand new and delivered? I know, I know... it sat unused in a guest room for 6 months and you're only getting rid of it because it won't fit in your new home.

Or the purple leather couch for $4000. First owner, custom made couch. Only two small tears in the leather - you can cover it up with a blanket.

Ebay is getting just as bad. I used to buy clothes for my kids there. But now, every other website is a scammer direct from China or someone who just picked up a polo shirt from Walmart clearance for $3, now trying to resell it on ebay for $5 PLUS $9 shipping... mind blowing. Someone must be buying though, or these scammers would go away.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM

24 posts, read 61,048 times
CL is full of scammers, just because you'll never see them again, and its the perfect way to find new people to victimize.

With that said, I've also found great deals on CL. If YOU know your stuff, it's an OK place to look for used goods.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM

6,430 posts, read 9,767,907 times
Your actual example might be a scam, but Craigslist is not just for selling used items. Anyone is "allowed" to sell on there. I have seen many car dealerships selling cars.

be careful of scams though, I never ship anything to prevent some of them.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:54 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,094,481 times
It's a good avenue, I just hate the lowball offers for things we post.
Example: Hubby won a iPad at work. Brand new in packaging and what not. He clearly stated that in his ad post with the word firm on the price. Folks were emailing him for $200 less than what he was selling it for; there are those out there that have no reading comprehensive ability whatsoever. The iPad that he was selling was going for $500 at retail; he was selling at $450 and someone doesn't need to pay tax. He ended up selling the iPad to his friend.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM

850 posts, read 1,544,175 times
Buyer beware. Lots of flakes and people agreeing to something and then backing out. There is no accountability. But I agree its a great place to dump FREE Stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products