Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 03:31 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,083,780 times

Advertisements

I have a new "addiction", and that is ETSY....I have recently discovered it for clothes for my daugher, who is 4 going on 5.

I LOVE IT!

Let me say: I used to frequent 3 local children's boutiques, where I could get high quality boutique clothes...I do admit I often, but not always, bought sale merchandise. All 3 of those boutiques have closed recently. (Economy maybe? Maybe too many of us buying only sale items?)

I also have bought a lot of Gymboree, but lately I find it too expensive (jeans for a 4 year old for $40??), unless there is a great sale. Even then, I am not thrilled with the designs lately...too many animals!...or the colors (not a big fan of orange and acid green and neither is my daughter)...AND the quality has gone down.

So, enter ETSY, where I can find almost any design under the sun, there is a huge range of prices, and the pieces can be custom fitted to my daughter. Plus it is unique!

Every girl around here wears Gymboree; I am so happy to have my daughter look different.

Is there anything on Etsy you have fallen in love with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 PM

672 posts, read 2,115,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

Is there anything on Etsy you have fallen in love with?
I love all the cute aprons. Makes me want to cook

Old 08-26-2011, 05:31 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,461,394 times
I agree. For quality, especially handmade items, etsy is probably the best. I've bought quite a lot there over the last 5 years. I like items made by the sellers: hand-turned vases; handmade greeting cards; wine cork trivets and corkboards as well as canvas artwork and anything made of clay, wood or granite.

I've bought lovely handmade 3-D clay planters from one seller. One of my favorite purchases was three painted cat rocks in 2006. Another favorite purchase was a magnetic board with test-tube spice jars. I have it on the wall next to my oven and never tire of marveling at its beauty and functionality. And I've also bought antique cameo jewelry and some very nice leather purses.

Edited to add, after reading Mary Ann's post, that I love the handmade aprons too. They dont make me want to cook, but they do make me want to buy them as gifts for my cooking friends.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:43 PM

OOH, corkboards!

I will have to search for those.

___

I also "feel good" buying on Etsy, knowing my hard-earned dollars are going to a made in America work from home Mom (sometimes) instead of a big corporate entity. (As corny as that sounds).

Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 AM

672 posts, read 2,115,528 times
I went to my Etsy's favorites list and in addition to the aprons, here are some things I'd like to buy if I had more disposable income:
Ocean Alphabet for a kid's room
Circle Scarf
Tatted Bracelet
Eye Shadow colors that I find impossible to locate in the brick and mortar stores
Leather stick barrette - good alternative to the ponytail
Handmade dog bow

Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times
I have to stay away as I spend too much! I loved the red geometric earrings I bought last.

For kids clothes, you can get them on eBay new with tags for about 1/2 price of new.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:06 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,461,394 times
Dont get me started on eBay! I both bless and curse the day, 11 years ago, that I found it.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:04 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,222,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Dont get me started on eBay! I both bless and curse the day, 11 years ago, that I found it.

I do love Ebay. And yes, it can be both a blessing and a curse.

I am going to have to give Etsy a closer look. I do like handmade items.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
For kids clothes, you can get them on eBay new with tags for about 1/2 price of new.
I started buying kids clothes on Ebay about 7 years ago.

I will only buy NWTs because I have been burned too many times on "like new" clothes that I wouldn't even send to Goodwill.

It is true that I have gotten some very good deals over the years. However, those good deals are getting fewer and farther between.

Ebay is being "ruined", in some ways, by all the professional sellers who buy all the size 5 dresses from Gymboree (for example) when they go on sale and turn around to sell them almost at full price.

I sell on Ebay sometimes too. It is very time consuming, however.

I do still buy things for my children on Ebay; it is just harder to find a good "deal".

I do better for my daughter buying ahead for the next year when the season clearance sales are going on. Or on sites like Kelly's Kids, I can get last year's fall clothes at 30% off or more. Lands End also has very good clearance prices.

I love to dress up my daughter, but I have to do it all on a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products