Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:06 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
And to the OP, I don't think you understand what a straw man argument is either.
Actually, I do, which is why I employed the term. You or somebody else built up an argument unrelated to anything I actually stated or alluded to in this thread, and then you or another poster tore down the argument of your or another poster's own creation.

And yes, I do usually shop later in the day at Costco simply to avoid the people who bottleneck at the sample tables and fail to notice a line of people waiting to simply get by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:17 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
This thread is less about Costco, and more about bashing fat people. I love the judging. No compassion at all. Obesity is a disease, and should be considered as one, same as alcoholism. It is a person who cannot control their desire for food. At least no one who over ate Ho-Ho's killed anyone...yet, alcoholism is so much more acceptable than obesity...go figure it.

Go drink your skinny-b**ch drinks. Why is fat bashing acceptable? It is inappropriate to make fun of those who have a serious addiction.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
This thread has taught me that there are some real jerks in the world.

And I'm not talking about the people taking samples at Costco...

What I've read in this thread is astounding. The elitism is unbelievable. Hey guys - guess what? YOU are one of the very same people you're complaining about. Every person that complains about Costco/Sam's Club/Wal*Mart shoppers IS a Costco/Sam's Club/Wal*Mart shopper.

Get over yourselves and start understanding that despite what your mommies may have told you when you lost that little league game but got a trophy anyway, you are not better than everybody else.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:07 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Actually, I do, which is why I employed the term. You or somebody else built up an argument unrelated to anything I actually stated or alluded to in this thread, and then you or another poster tore down the argument of your or another poster's own creation. .
I don't know why I'm bothering to do this, because it's difficult to explain just how little I care about this whole argument, but some of the attitudes on display here have annoyed me.

1. You start the thread by complaining how people bottleneck at Costco, showcasing an amazing amount of hostility (whether you are willing to admit it or not).

2. The thread continues as people start questioning why you're so hostile. At this point you throw out the 'obese brood sow' bit.

3. This comment actually does show that this is less about people bottle-necking than that you perceive them to be too fat to be eating the samples. I'm sorry if you think that's a straw man argument, but it is pertinent to the overall picture.

4. My comments remain the same: I'm sorry that you view the world through glasses that only let you see people willing to take advantage of free food (or whatever) as obese brood sows. I'm sorry that these people annoy you and get in your way and don't let you get to where you need to go in the timeline that you feel is necessary. The world is not fair, and other people can be insensitive jerks. So again, since you can't change the world, change yourself.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:02 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
I cannot believe how some people at Costco will stop their cart next to a free sample table which is already blocking half an aisle, so that the entire aisle is blocked and everybody has to wait for some uncouth slob to take a sample and then stand there and foist it down their throat without even moving away to alow for traffic to continue to flow?

Why do people do this?!
You know, Americans need their food!

Old 11-14-2010, 01:52 PM

415 posts, read 1,778,690 times
It's not the customer at fault, it's the size of the carts, which are the size of entire ecosystems which make the system unwieldy.

And the carts are big because cc caters to merchants as well as individual consumers.

There's no explaining why their muffins however are the size of small moons though.

When I first entered a costco, I was completely dismayed by the tawdry display of American excess. I suppose their quantities now seem 'normal'.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Please keep this thread civil without insulting each other so that an interesting thread (I love COSTCO & their samples) does not have to be closed.

Remember the ToS :

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Get out of my way - I'm headed to the sample booth!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:45 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Actually, they are indeed thinking. They're thinking about shoving food in their face and they don't care that others around them are inconvenienced.
"Why do people do this?!"

If you already had an answer why are you wasting our time?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,247 times
You give out free food at ANY place, and people are going to act like savages. I'm convinced that some people go there just to get a free lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products