Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

This has been a long time coming but I have had it with the check out at many "brick and mortar" retail stores and will shop more from my computer.
I went to 2 different stores to buy some things yesterday. The cashier at one place tried to get me to sign up for a credit card. She also wanted my email address and phone number. I was paying cash.
The other place also wanted my phone number along with my home address so they could mail me coupons and then also told me I could continue shopping and get half off another item.
When I go up to pay for my product, I just want to pay and go, not stand in line answering questions or listening to the cashier ask these questions of the people in front of me.
It used to be stores were just happy to have you patronize their place and buy something but now you get annoyed at the checkout line.
Just a pet peeve I guess and I am sure this doesn't bother some people, but I will buy more online from now to avoid these annoyances, even though I know I will likely pay a little more for shipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Actually, before checking out online, I always do a search for promo codes. And I'm signed up for several email coupons.

I also signed up for a Shopping website that tracks my purchases and gives me gift cards for clicking through their site. I've been doing this for about 5-6 years.

I find it very useful and do more online shopping for gifts, shoes and clothing than I do brick and mortar shopping. I save money too. And LOADS of time. It takes more planning though to order something than to run into a store and buy a gift, but for 90% of my non-food shopping, it's soooo worth it!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 AM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
kanhawk, It's pretty easy to stop this. Just say no thank you.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
I understand.
I don't like being offered the store credit card to save on my purchase, no thanks. It makes keeping the household budget that much more complicated. I have credit cards but I use them for certain purchases: gas, food, and other necessities go on the AMEX, fun stuff goes on the Discover or Mastercard.
I do like signing up for the coupons and will use multiple email addresses to get the coupons. I go to one register and the hubby goes to another to use the 2nd coupon.
Coupon codes are awesome! I shop online, then pick it up at the store and save the money on items I was going to buy at the store regardless. Example: Went to the Advance Auto Parts website and did a pick up order for a jack and 2 stands set and also a oil filter (cannot buy oil with coupon codes so I had to purchase separately). I had a coupon code for $20 off $50 or more and my 2 items ended up being $34 including tax. I also ordered the oil separately and it was about 50 cents less to order online and pick up in store than to go directly to the cash register.
The only thing about pick up is that sometimes they do not have my order ready so I can ahead of time to let them know I am on my way.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 PM

7 posts, read 11,722 times
I think shopping online pay through credit card is easier, I need not pay cash, I don't have enough time to go the bank . I prefer use credit card pay online, and waiting for my package mail to me.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:57 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Technology allows retailers to determine where shoppers are coming from & what they are buying, hence asking for zip codes. This gives them the ability to hone inventories for their stores in different demographics hence cutting costs by not wasting money on unnecessary product.
When they ask me to apply for a credit card I simply say "no thank you." I'm sure the checkout person doesn't want to peddle credit card apps either.
When they ask for my phone number I simply tell them 'no' or its unpublished.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
The cashiers are ordered to ask these questions/make these offers. They're doing as they've been told.

What I hate is when someone actually takes them up on the credit card offer and all the other checkouts are busy/closed and the rest of us have to stand behind some inconsiderate a-hole who takes 10 minutes to fill out a credit card application. That happened to me on Saturday.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
The funny thing is--shopping online, they would still want and get all that information from you. I can still walk into a store, and they don't even need to see my ID. I can remain anonymous.

I've worked for places where I did not HAVE a home phone, and they wanted my phone for some card (specifically, Winn-Dixie). I supplied them with the store's phone number, and they didn't even blink.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
She also wanted my email address and phone number. I was paying cash.
The other place also wanted my phone number along with my home address so they could mail me coupons and then also told me I could continue shopping and get half off another item.
Just a pet peeve I guess and I am sure this doesn't bother some people, but I will buy more online from now to avoid these annoyances
You don't like being asked for certain information at a B&M store, where you can decline to give it to them, so you're going to protest by shopping online, where you HAVE to give that information...

Nobody's forcing you to get a charge card or give your name, phone, etc. I think you need to accept the reality that the retail market is constantly evolving, as is sales & marketing technology and technique.

Not to sound too blunt, but "get over it."

Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What I hate is when someone actually takes them up on the credit card offer and all the other checkouts are busy/closed and the rest of us have to stand behind some inconsiderate a-hole who takes 10 minutes to fill out a credit card application. That happened to me on Saturday.
Right there! Shouldn't the polite thing to do is to have them move to the side and fill out the application and then serve the rest of the line and when they are done, come back in line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products