Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM

831 posts, read 1,963,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I spent the last 2 years buying online right at midnight when that Friday begins. You can get most deals advertised online.
I was wondering if Target participates in this...so I don't have to leave the house.

People getting crushed to death at Wal-suck for the (once in a lifetime?) opportunity to spend money was enough for me to kiss this tradition goodbye. It used to be amusing to watch from a distance when I didn't really need anything at the store... now it rivals food air-drops in third world countries...and I find myself embarrassed to partake in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 03:15 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,044 times
Guy,

In all honesty,

Like others said, it's a challenge. The few bucks you save on BF is not worth the hassle of parking or lack thereof, long lines, frustration, chaos, incivility and overall madness on that day.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I expect a yawn this year. People aren't spending.
I never buy anything on Black Friday. It's pretty rare that I buy anything at all for Christmas, other than food. It's not a secular holiday for me, and I'm not interested in contributing to overcommercialization or conspicuous consumption.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 PM

415 posts, read 1,778,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
It depends.
We went to Wal Mart one year to get a TV that was on sale. We got there before the store opened but a few people were there for the tv and 90% of the customers were in the entertainment area. In another random area of the store were the tvs and we were out of there in about 1 hour. Checkout took longer than finding the tv itself.
So if you go to Wal Mart, look around in other areas of the store if you are looking for a tv.
I would avoid Best Buy as it can get maddening with people making a line out front overnight.
Thanks for the info.

I took a look at the bestbuy BF ad online. The discounts weren't that steep, and there weren't many products I'm interested in.

It seems as though the BF discounts are tapering off this year.

And yeah, you would think that a person's life would be more valuable than a $3 discount on a dvd, but apparently not so at Sweat Shop-Mart.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,115,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I took a look at the bestbuy BF ad online. The discounts weren't that steep, and there weren't many products I'm interested in.

It seems as though the BF discounts are tapering off this year.

And yeah, you would think that a person's life would be more valuable than a $3 discount on a dvd, but apparently not so at Sweat Shop-Mart.
Your welcome!
TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics sometimes has some good deals on Black Friday online that rival Best Buys. Happy shopping!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:19 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I'm interested in the deals I've seen at target for some electronics items.

I'm concerned however, that the scene will be a complete madhouse! On the other hand, the deals look pretty good, and I doubt I'll get a better deal any other time of year.

What are your experiences with black friday? Are the crowds really crazy?
Yes, Black Friday is a madhouse of the best kind! My sisters, cousins and friends have a tradition to get up at the crack of dawn for Black Friday shopping. We divide and conquer and help each other with our lists. And, yes, a list is a must! We then all go out for breakfast together. We have so much fun and we save a ton of money.

If you are into the adventure, it is a lot of fun. Yes, it's crowded and the lines can be long. For me, it is worth it for the money I save and the festive mood and fun with my group. For me, it marks the start of the Xmas season.

I will say that we avoid Best Buy because our experience has been that they limit the quantity of their super low bargains.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:17 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
Shopping Black Friday is a very different type of shopping. You should stay away from malls, until later in the day. They often do not have the best deals and their parking lots are extremely inefficient. I have developed a site that teaches people how to shop like the pro's do on Black Friday allowing you to get any door buster you have a desire to get. It is 100% free. I figured it is the least I can do for those that have no idea what they are getting themselves into on Black Friday.

http://www.BlackFridaySecrets.NET

Old 11-16-2010, 02:53 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,429 times
I went to Macys one Black Friday and surprisingly it wasn't that crowded. I guess stores with electronics like best buy would have crazy lines.

If I buy anything this yr, it will have to be online. I cant imagine spending hours waiting in line.

Does anyone remember that story about the walmart employee that got stomped to death on BF? SMH

Old 11-16-2010, 03:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
Default I was visiting family in Atlanta

(I'm from NY) and my sister in law told me about the Black Friday incident (I think it was in 2008) that happened on Long Island.

Last year I went to my local Target at about 8AM on BF expecting to find it hard to park; but not only was hardly anyone in the parking lot, the store was not crowded at all.

however when i went back to the store a few hours later(about 3PM) because i was biking past it, it was a zoo. I should have picked up that portable DVD player they were selling for only $47 first thing that morning while they weren't crowded...

Old 11-17-2010, 12:58 AM

415 posts, read 1,778,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Your welcome!
TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics sometimes has some good deals on Black Friday online that rival Best Buys. Happy shopping!
Cool-thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products