Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,973 times

Advertisements

This has agravated me for a long time. I have a pair of wonderful wool socks and the only thing wrong with them is they got holes in the toes. I tried sewing the holes shut but then the sock doesn't fit right for the toe area. Any suggestions? It makes me sick to throw out a great pair of socks that I love just because of a couple of stupid little holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Oh, you can darn them pretty easy, but you need to use a particular technique to do so. You also need to use that special soft, thick wool yarn. Then you need a small ball, the size of tennis ball.
You insert the ball in the sock, take a big needle with wide ear for your wool yarn, and leave the end unknotted. Start on one site of the hole, and do vertical stitches till the whole hole is covered with stitches, then you do the same way horizontal stitches going with your needle under and over the vertical stitches ( like a net) . Remember that your stitching should extend 1/2 inch beyond the hole at both the top and bottom edges and the process should create a tight weave.
Continue stitching back and forth until you've completely filled the hole. Trim excess thread. Do not knott the yarn.

Attached Thumbnails
what to do with a great pair of socks that get holes in the toes-darning4.jpg  

Old 11-18-2011, 01:16 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
If you don't want to darn them then you can slip them on your hands and do dusting around the house.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
My Mom used to do both of the above, the dusting was done after the socks were non-darnable any longer.

She even had an official darning ball that looked like it was made out of the same material as a bowling ball.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
This has agravated me for a long time. I have a pair of wonderful wool socks and the only thing wrong with them is they got holes in the toes. I tried sewing the holes shut but then the sock doesn't fit right for the toe area. Any suggestions? It makes me sick to throw out a great pair of socks that I love just because of a couple of stupid little holes.
Since I wear Jobst stockings at $50/pair, when I buy socks, I always buy the same style and color. When ONE sock develops a hole, the remaining sock can be used with other socks.

Darning the socks (as demonstrated above) is the right way to go but this boy completely lacks the patience and the steady hand ...

Old 11-24-2011, 09:19 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
I agree with Jlawrence. I think buying the same color and style is the way to go.
This is what we also do with my 4 year old grandson.
It also keeps us from having to match pairs. He just has a white socks with gray toes/heels shoe box in his drawer.

Fixing socks seems complicated. My mom buys the footie hose things and wears them inside her socks. She
does it to keep her feet warmer, but it would also keep your toes from coming out the holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products