Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:28 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

I'm just looking to get this Macy's card so i can get the added 20 percent off just 1 purchase. After that, im not interested.

Does this card come with any loopholes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
If you pay it off every month ( full amount) then there is no harm. If you don't use it, don't close - closed credit cards does not look good in your credit report.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you pay it off every month ( full amount) then there is no harm. If you don't use it, don't close - closed credit cards does not look good in your credit report.

Oh its a credit card.

I regret signing up then. So that means they will continuously send me mail about offers.

The lady said it takes 24 hrs to finalize and they will give me a call. Is it too late to cancel?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Macy's store card is not a regular credit card - it can only be used for purchases at their department stores.

You’ll receive fifteen percent off all purchases for two days after you receive the card. So you might want to apply when you know you have a lot to buy.
As with most department store cards, Macy’s works on a point system. The more you spend the more points you can apply toward future purchases. Just be careful and don’t fall into a spending trap simply to rack up more store credit.
You’ll be privy to monthly cardholder-only savings events. Take advantage of these sales by waiting to spend until you get a sale notice in the mail.
Returns are easy. Cardholders have up to 180 days to return an item even without a receipt.
Free gift wrap, basic alterations and package delivery (up to $60) for those who spend at least $1,000 a year on a Macy’s card.
Bottom line: If you shop at Macy’s a lot anyway, this is a good card to have in your wallet. The special sales events and services make it convenient and economical…But only if you pay the entire bill every month.

So, if you plan a one time shopping at Macy's you can apply for this STORE credit card, do your shopping, pay the balance in full ( so soon you get the bill - they are well known for posting payments late and charging additional fees for being late!) and forget about the card. But you have to pay the balance in full, because the interest rate is very high - 24.50 %

Here is the "fine" print:
*Subject to credit approval. The new account discount (the "Discount") is valid on merchandise purchases made at Macy's the day you are approved and the following day and charged on your new Macy's Account. The Discount cannot be combined with other discount offers except where indicated and it may not be applied to previous purchases.
The Discount does not apply to services, select licensed departments and Gift Cards.
On furniture, mattresses and floor coverings, the Discount savings is limited to $100. Applicants must qualify for immediate approval to receive the Discount; applications requiring further processing will not receive the Discount. Employees of Macy's Inc. are not eligible.
The Discount percentage may differ on store purchases. For your convenience and record keeping, the Discount will appear on your statement. It will not appear on your register receipts or during checkout on macys.com.
Make sure that you know the discount % before you do the purchase.

You might want to read this:
http://www.cardoffers.com/Credit-Car...s-Credit-Card/

Last edited by elnina; 12-13-2010 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: added

Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Now that they switched from being a Visa to being an American Express, that card is bad news. I would not recommend it at all...I am not a fan of American Express. They charge incredible merchant fees (hence why AMEX is trying to get into every market they can by taking over Department Store cards) and frankly are not as accepted. If you travel internationally, you will see how rare they are accepted. JMHO.

The Macy's card is both a Store Card AND a Credit Card. You actually pay two different bills based on if you charge things in store or out of store. (so you account has two different numbers and payment addresses) I just know the moment that I closed all my Department Store Cards, my credit score jumped up positively quite a bit. So, I recommend avoiding them.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 PM

The reviews are scary. So its too late to back out of this (without it messing up my credit score)?

Its not activated yet, I have to wait 24 hrs for approval.

Whats the best thing I can do right now?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 PM

So long the card is not activated and you didn't purchased anything you are O.K.
When the card arrives just shred and forget it

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...-card-1282.php

Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post

The Macy's card is both a Store Card AND a Credit Card. You actually pay two different bills based on if you charge things in store or out of store.
Mine isn't.
It is a store card that can only be used at Macy's.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Another question, can I use the card to get the discount and just pay WHOLE purchase amount at the store in cash? so i dont have to worry about them sending me the bill late.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Another question, can I use the card to get the discount and just pay WHOLE purchase amount at the store in cash? so i dont have to worry about them sending me the bill late.

Yep.
In fact, you can do that at the same register, right after you do the charge.
That way, you still get 'credit' for perks and discounts, but have no outstanding bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products