U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,237,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Before you criticize Walmart (or any retail) workers, please read the book Nickeled & Dimed : On NOT Making it in America. These people work very hard for very little money. Sheesh. Show some compassion.
good response!--often i wonder about the negativity towards people as seen in some of the forum postings----are they trolls or is there more unhappy people out there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 12:59 PM

19,356 posts, read 20,170,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
good response!--often i wonder about the negativity towards people as seen in some of the forum postings----are they trolls or is there more unhappy people out there??
I really thought it's because where they live.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 AM

9,816 posts, read 18,908,477 times
Most greeters at walmart are fine & its the customers that are the rude Moderator cut: language removed & not them. I work p/t in customer service & i hate it. Im sick of the rude & ignorant people i encounter but i need the money so for now i have no choice.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-06-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 03:24 PM

11,853 posts, read 6,498,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Before you criticize Walmart (or any retail) workers, please read the book Nickeled & Dimed : On NOT Making it in America. These people work very hard for very little money. Sheesh. Show some compassion.
So, I'd like to see the look of compassion on your face when one of these employees shoves a cart at your knees that causes some major bruising. But, that's ok, they're allowed to because they don't make as much money as YOU do.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,313,616 times
If your having problems with someone 80 years old greeting you @ Wal-Mart, I beleive you have deeper issues you should be concerned with

Old 09-05-2011, 10:54 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,237,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
If your having problems with someone 80 years old greeting you @ Wal-Mart, I beleive you have deeper issues you should be concerned with

Old 09-06-2011, 06:47 AM

11,853 posts, read 6,498,682 times
While many Walmart's employ senior citizens to fill the door greeter position, not all door greeters are senior citizens.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 AM

24,468 posts, read 33,921,518 times
Personally I don't see the point of having greeters when Wal-Mart stores themselves are a complete mess and people wait in line for 15 minutes to pay for things while the greeter does a job that is, quite frankly, not necessary....but I'm not going to take it out on the greeter for that. I just nod politely or say "hello" back. Why be an a-hole?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 PM

8,275 posts, read 18,816,244 times
A lot of the greeters are people on disability who truly need a place to work & Walmart agrees to train & hire them for some kind of tax write-off. It benefits both parties.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM

7,493 posts, read 10,053,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am sorry, but I find them useless... especially in a big stores like Walmart, Home Depot etc. where customers have no time nor desire to build any "relationship" with the sales crew. ( However in smaller stores it could make a difference )
I wish those greeters would be visible on the floor when you need help and can't find anyone.
I understand that it's an additional job created, but their pay is affecting the prices. Except saying "hello", "how are you", " welcome", "good bye" or whatever they do not provide any meaningful help to the customers, because they cannot leave the entrance/exit.
Here I found a job description:
As a greeter, you’ll be on your feet for hours at a time and need to have a positive attitude for your entire shift. Your job will also include talking to, if possible, every customer who enters or exits the store. Additionally, it may be part of your job to check and make sure customers are not stealing anything, although you are not necessarily required to stop them.
It is, greeting is a stupid position if you ask me; what's the point??? If Walmart really cared about their products they'd hire security people to be the greeters. Oh wait, they'd have to pay them more. Ugh I hate greeting where I work, and I'd never do it as a permanent position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products