Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

I was a greeter at Lenscrafters and I never yelled at people. I just said "Welcome to Lenscrafters" when I felt their footsteps and offered them bring them to the eye doctor's office or have a seat in their store as needed. I was so still and quiet otherwise (trying to feel the vibrations) several people mistook me for a mannequin.

Sorry to hear that other employees aren't so tactful. Why don't you tell them straight up their pitch isn't working? If their manager doesn't give them feedback, you're the only way they'll learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
LOL!

The greeting is a marketing ploy used to engage customers so that the greeter can "get to know" you and build a connection. This connection-building has proven very effective in increasing sales, so more and more companies are using it. (So from their perspective, it's not dumb at all. The fake friendliness pays off.)

Be assured that the greeters are being carefully monitored by their supervisors. That's why they can sometimes be so over the top. They want to be seen as doing everything they can to drum up more sales.
I can definitely attest to this. I was a wave signer too and if you weren't energetic enough you could not have a job tomorrow. And it's true that the greeters actually make a difference in sales. I thought my job was useless and created out of pity until I found out that I actually increased the sales. I never thought such a nobody job would actually be useful, lol.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Greeters are just doing their jobs. When i go to walmart they greet me & i say hello. Nothing more nothing less.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I am sorry, but I find them useless... especially in a big stores like Walmart, Home Depot etc. where customers have no time nor desire to build any "relationship" with the sales crew. ( However in smaller stores it could make a difference )
I wish those greeters would be visible on the floor when you need help and can't find anyone.
I understand that it's an additional job created, but their pay is affecting the prices. Except saying "hello", "how are you", " welcome", "good bye" or whatever they do not provide any meaningful help to the customers, because they cannot leave the entrance/exit.
Here I found a job description:
As a greeter, you’ll be on your feet for hours at a time and need to have a positive attitude for your entire shift. Your job will also include talking to, if possible, every customer who enters or exits the store. Additionally, it may be part of your job to check and make sure customers are not stealing anything, although you are not necessarily required to stop them.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 AM

19,498 posts, read 9,525,458 times
It's quite a pleasant thing for a customer to have a Walmart greeter flash a genuine smile and wish you a pleasant day particularily when you've gone thru the check-out line with a sullen cashier.

What I try to avoid, thru the malls are some of those pesky sales types trying to get you to buy their products. Some of them will practically follow you down the hall trying to get you to show them your nails or whatever. Or they'll walk right up to you and interrupt the conversation you're having with someone next to you or even if you're on the cell phone.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 PM

38,865 posts, read 22,849,388 times
I actually don't mind being greeted upon entering a business. I used to have a bank account with Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) and upon entering the bank, I'd be greeted with "Welcome to Wachovia" by one of the tellers. I now bank with a local credit union that has an information counter stationed near the front door and manned by one of the employees. The person behind the counter will usually greet you upon entering by just saying "Hi" or "Good morning/afternoon" without having to yell across the room (the credit union interior is small to begin with).

The greeters at stores I regularly shop, like Walmart and Costco, also have nice greeters at the front door.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I have never experienced greeters, being obnoxious to me or anyone in my family ever. No matter what stores the greeters are in they have always been very pleasant. I have never ever been yelled at a distance Hello. Guess all greeters are not created equally.

What i find more annoying then anything is rude customers, getting obnoxious for no reason, have a tissy fit if the line in front is longer then then think it ought to be, and screaming kids, running around a store touching everything in their site and food. Control your kids.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:17 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,830 times
The greeters at Walmart also start the process for returns so I don't see them as useless.

I do hate going to Moe's. Their "thing" is for everyone behind the counter to yell "Welcome to Moe's!" Ugh, no thanks.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:08 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Has anyone else been verbally yelled at walking into stores and banks? What's up with these sales people that literally "yell" hello from a long distance away from the door, "Welcome to Kinkos, or Rite Aid or Target or Office Max or Lenscrafters or whatever store"
Target doesn't have door greeters, but they do have security guards. I've never seen them yelling greetings at anyone. Also, at least they are up front about their purpose for standing there.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Gee, the last thing we'd want from a retail employee is the acknowledgment that we've come into their store?

Would you be complaining if the customer service folks ignored you? ... Yeah, that's what I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products