Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:48 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times

Advertisements

Also, the textile industry is now mostly overseas. All the fabric now (mostly) garbage. Came across a vendor today that would make custom shoes for you - $275 which actually sounds not too bad to me because the leather will last indefinitely if taken care of correctly and they could be re-soled. And the knit shirts now are SO thin it is ridiculous. Makes me sad!! Yeah, I would spring for spending the extra money on nicer clothes except that many times it seems that more $$ does not necessarily mean better quality for some strange reason. It is just harder to get the quality, my only hope is small vendors that I find through the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Great link for all things American Made:

Made in the USA Products Directory

You'll find thousands of items.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Great link for all things American Made:

Made in the USA Products Directory

You'll find thousands of items.

That listing contains a large number of inaccuracies. There are any number of companies on the list that produce goods in the US that are NOT on the list. There are several companies on the list that import a good number of their products.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:23 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Could you be more specific?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
How I regret getting rid of my older clothing, EVERYTHING is now made so poorly, is overpriced, etc. - What to do? I tried buying better labels but they are just as bad (made overseas, have to go over it after washing to clip threads, tighten buttons, etc.).
I thought it was just me. a few years ago, the pants that I bought at Banana Republic were so overpriced that I had to wait for a sale to buy them. After a few wears, they tore when I bent over! The pants were not too tight. They are just made very poorly. I havent gone back there since.

Where can exactly can we buy well made clothing anymore? There is no more MADE IN USA anymore. they use ssweat shop labor that they underpay, yet the prices are still very high.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
its all about cost.... there was another thread asking if people would spend $50 for a t-shirt. - I think in fashion or in here - anyway things that are sold cheaply are made cheaply. end of story.

I worked for a big Italian clothes label when I was living in the UK and they stopped making 'basics' for their collection because they couldn't remain competitive. They had all their range made in Italy at the time. Most other companies were using cheap labour in Turkey, China, Thailand, Vietnam etc etc.

Everything I sold had a 2.5% markup to retail. So I would sell an item for 15 pounds and it would retail for 43. To sell a t-shirt for 15 the clothing company made very little profit once you take into account the cost of fabric, it takes maybe 2 hours to be physically assembled (at minimum wage). pressed, packaged, delivered and I got commission for everything I sold....before even thinking about paying designers, marketing etc etc
that's 250% markup.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:09 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I thought it was just me. a few years ago, the pants that I bought at Banana Republic were so overpriced that I had to wait for a sale to buy them. After a few wears, they tore when I bent over! The pants were not too tight. They are just made very poorly. I havent gone back there since.

Where can exactly can we buy well made clothing anymore? There is no more MADE IN USA anymore. they use ssweat shop labor that they underpay, yet the prices are still very high.
When you find out - please let me know. I am totally disgusted shopping anymore, quality is crap.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:12 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic Spirit View Post
Yes, I also miss my quality made clothes of yesteryear. I still have some of those clothes in fine condition!...
I miss the great brand name men's suit makers and the stores that sold them, like Raleigh's in DC, which got sucked up into the leveraged buyout craze of the late 1980's.

I still have some of my Hart Marx suits from those days, Hickey Freeman, Bill Blass, etc. Great threads.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Www.VermontCountryStore.com has very well made clothes and underwear. A bit expensive and casual styles but worth it. I have been buying from them for years.

I also like www.landsend.com clothing for the same reason. My polos from them last forever. Sahalie.com is another good site to shop.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 PM

294 posts, read 743,625 times
Also, if you buy a new package of underwear or socks you'd better dump them right in the washing machine on HOT because BEDBUGS are coming over in a lot of these Chinese-made clothing packages!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products