U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 07:43 PM

28,504 posts, read 48,426,253 times

Advertisements

The average price of a gallon of gasoline now stands at $3.96 a gallon, according to the latest Department of Energy numbers just released.

Do you know that sometimes you pay all that money and the gas isn't what you think you're getting or it's contaminated and can harm your engine?

Gas Prices: Inspectors Conduct Spot Checks to Ensure You Get The Type of Gas You've Paid For - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 PM

21,831 posts, read 24,915,152 times
Its also time to measure output at gas stations. I've already seen it more than once that a 5 gallon jug is not getting filled to the 5 gallon line even though the pump says 5 gallons.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,642,255 times
I work at a gaosline transportation company. I can tell you from 10 years in the industry that sometimes gas station owners will have extra unlead brought to the store put into the super tank to save money (this is not too common though) and some of the fuel problems are directly attributed to the refineries. Some refineries only manufacture 91 or 92 octane super and sometimes it is splash blended with ethanol to improper specs. However, drivers usually call in to report when a rack has a bad blend and the fuel must be cleared from the rack before a driver can leave with it. Also, a mix that goes undetected can end up putting unlead into a premium tank. When you fill up, the odds of you getting what you paid for is actually pretty good, as long as the carriers are doing their job right. We have driver stick tanks to ensure less than an inch of water in an ethanol tank or it is usually pumped out by the store management. Drivers also know to report mixes and bad blends immediately, and the support teams for larger companies like Shell or Exxon or Chevron work very hard to ensure that their stations maintain a certain level of additive and octane. Its not really an exact science, but I assure anyone reading this, that if carriers do a good job, this isnt often a problem. Buying from small family owned stores are often the best way to get bad gas because of the corners they cut. Oftentimes the carrier IS to blame for bad gas because they arent following procedures to ensure the fuel is the proper spec or they are delivering the wrong product into the wrong tank.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:49 PM

7,326 posts, read 11,466,940 times
Several years ago when I worked in the Baltimore area calling on retail businesses, I would occasionally bump into the guy from the State weights and measures group. He would set up shop at a gas pump and test the volume delivered from the nozzle and then do something to test the sample (I forgot how they did that part).

I imagine they still do this, especially now with the high prices in effect.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,533,006 times
I just wonder why I never got a 1/10 penny back in change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products