Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

If it's an important complaint to you, most major stores have survey cards at their service counter that you can fill out with a complaint about an issue(s). Or you can compliment them with these cards too. Most stores welcome them to help with improving their customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
If you complain, and sometimes that is appropriate, remember also to take the time to compliment when someone gives good service.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP11 View Post
At a grocery checkout earlier today, I moved my stuff out of my shopping baskets (I had two) and put the shopping baskets on the floor next to the counter. The clerk said in a loud and really angry-sounding voice "could I have that basket?" I handed them to her and she did not say thank you but instead kept grumpily entering stuff in her machine. There was this awkward silence.

What's a good way to handle this kind of minor but still really annoying rude behavior when it's happening? I don't feel like ignoring such surliness and I'd like to call it out.
Chalk it up to the person having a bad day.

Why risk costing someone their job?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
At a grocery checkout earlier today, I moved my stuff out of my shopping baskets (I had two) and put the shopping baskets on the floor next to the counter. The clerk said in a loud and really angry-sounding voice "could I have that basket?" I handed them to her and she did not say thank you but instead kept grumpily entering stuff in her machine. There was this awkward silence.

What's a good way to handle this kind of minor but still really annoying rude behavior when it's happening? I don't feel like ignoring such surliness and I'd like to call it out.
Truthfully, I'm on the cashier's side about this. I started to read your post and I cringed with disbelief as soon as I read:

"put the shopping baskets on the floor"

that was a nasty thing to do! If I had seen someone do that I would have said something not-too-nice as well.

....just tellin' the truth. Don't do that anymore!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:

I would probably say just "your welcome" even though there was no "thank you" - to make the point that a thank you should have been said. Hopefully, that will make them feel a little ashamed. But don't make a huge deal of it - the person could have just been having a bad day and making it worse for them could tip them over the edge and cause real problems. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when I don't know them. No, having a bad day isn't an excuse for rudeness but hey, no one is perfect.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Smother them with kindness! They’ll get the idea sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
U r such a kind man
He speaks the truth. It really does work. Kindness trumps everything else.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Smother them with kindness! They’ll get the idea sooner or later.
I always do this!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Truthfully, I'm on the cashier's side about this. I started to read your post and I cringed with disbelief as soon as I read:

"put the shopping baskets on the floor"

that was a nasty thing to do! If I had seen someone do that I would have said something not-too-nice as well.

....just tellin' the truth. Don't do that anymore!
At my supermarket, all of the hand baskets are stacked on the floor at the beginning of the checkout thingy when customers are done with them. There is no other place to put them. The rack where you pick them up upon entering the store is far away from the checkout area. Everyone just puts them on the floor by the counter. Once in a while, I will see a customer just set the basket on the conveyor, and after the cashier removes the items, she takes the basket and sets it on the floor.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
In a case like this, where you put baskets that hold food on the floor (which you really should not have done) I would have apologized and said something like, "I'm really sorry. I should have known better than that." This should have softened up the clerk a bit.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,915 times
The cashier really was not rude imo. Customers are not always right either. Whoever came up with that?

Cashiers have to put up with a lot and they dont get paid much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products