Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times

Advertisements

My vacuum cleaner is getting old and am thinking of getting a new one. The dysons are running $400 to $600. Very pricey. So are they they so much better that they are worth that price? What do they do that makes them so much better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 PM

604 posts, read 856,417 times
I bought the Animal model for pet hair last month, caught it on sale at Home Depot. (I have 4 cats.) What I really wanted was a Miele, which is similarly priced, but there are no dealers where I live and I didn't want to buy it online. I went with the Dyson on my sister's recommendation after reading several onine reviews and I like it. It's very light and very maneuverable (that's the logic behind the ball, instead of wheels) and it's got wicked suction. The sheer volume of stuff it pulled out of the carpet the first couple weeks I used it was amazing. The dirt container is a hands-free arrangement, you unmount it from the vacuum and push the button on top, and the bottom opens to drop all the dirt. The cord is pretty long too.

One negative I've noticed (other than the price) is that since the dirt container is plastic it has a static charge, which holds the cat hair in the container so I have to reach in and pull it out.

So far I'm happy. It hasn't made vacuuming my favorite chore or anything but I do get it done a lot faster. The reviews led me to believe it was a well-made product that I would be able to use for many years.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
I bought the pet model several years ago. This is the best vacuum I have ever had. I absolutely love it. I have 3 cats and really use the vacuum on a regular basis because of the cat hair.

It's easy to use, has very useful attachments. Because the canister is clear I can see what the Dyson is picking up and it amazes me how much it will hold before I have to dump it. Dumping is a piece of cake. It's a user friendly vacuum and I would not trade it for any other brand.

I wish the swivel wheels had been available back then but mine does just fine the way it is. It never clogs. It never looses suction. It's a real dream machine.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
Our animal is the first generation and still going strong. I don't care what my beloved Consumer Reports says about it, because it is the best vacuum ever and perfect for pet hair! It is absolutely worth the price but watch Woot® : One Day, One Deal because they have refurbished models from time to time and I want to say the last animal deal was $299.99 which is a fantastic deal. So, wait and watch Woot and buy one when they have one as the featured deal because you won't find a better deal anywhere else!

As far as the static issue, I put a dryer sheet in the canister before I start vacuuming and that fixes the problem. It is the most economical vacuum out there and the most low maintenance. I wanted to buy a new model a while back but decided that I would wait until the current Dyson quits. Whenever that happens!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Got ours at Costco, so that helped with the price.
Pet vacuum.
Only complaint is that the brushes can get clogged at the bottom; they are hard to clean and then there's no suction. OH, and that crazy screaming noise thing it does on the carpet setting when it gets mad.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:23 AM

604 posts, read 856,417 times
Alley01, thanks for the dryer sheet tip. I'll try it.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
I have the Dyson ball and we vacuum up dog hair several days a week. This is the best vacuum I've ever seen. The canister is so easy to empty and it never looses suction.

Go ahead and buy one and do this: Vacuum your bedroom with your old vacuum and then immediately vacuum it again with the Dyson. Look at all the crap you pick up.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
I've got a dyson - been pretty happy with it, I've had it for 5 years now and the suction seems that same as when it was new. I've got several different attachments/tools - the duster is great for the blinds.

Costco has good prices on them. I imagine Sam's club does as well.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,648 times
I bought the Dyson Animal about 7 years ago. I has survived several house moves and I am using it now with an electrical convertor (UK-US) and it is still going strong. I love the baglessness of it. I have not had to have any repairs etc done and IF it did breakdown I would replace it with another dyson. No question.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I have the Dyson, and it's good... but my Eureka Boss destroys it. The Dyson is easier to handle (Eureka needs to work on this), but in terms of cleaning power, the Boss blows it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products