Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Is "Whole Paycheck" an unfair nickname? What's been your experience?
Yes, it is more expensive, though their selection of products is great. I don't think "Whole Paycheck" is an unfair nickname at all. I don't shop there regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 AM

605 posts, read 705,087 times
On average, yes I think their prices are a bit higher - due to more organic choices. However, people still shop there a lot, since simply because it is coming from the "Whole Foods" name-factor, the price difference is forgiven. It's perception that anything bought at Whole Foods is better and healthier.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What's King Kullen, Pathmark, Walbaums, or Shop-Rite?

Ah, regionalism.
New York City area!

As opposed to King's Soopers, Albertsons, and Safeway!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Yes (it is expensive) but there is a LOT more variety of things than you'll ever find at Publix and there are a lot more organic things. The organic prices are lower than Publix and other standard grocery store prices for organic though -- because they do a bigger volume of sales of organic food than the regular grocery stores where people shop price and not purity or quality.

It is better to spend a little more on what you put IN your body now so you can avoid shelling out a lot later for medical care when you develop all sorts of chronic and degenerative diseases from eating irradiated or foods loaded with genetically modified ingredients that are commonly sold in regular grocery stores (and not labeled so you know what you are buying).

Demanding your grocery store label its foods that contain GMOs is something EVERYONE should do. Just go to the customer service counter and fill out a suggestion form and say that you want them to start labeling or posting signs on products where GMOs are used.

Publix has this stupid GRAS labeling where the price tags are brown if it is "Generally Recognized As Safe" which means NOTHING if you read up on it. Foods that are marked GRAS can contain GMOs. There is no guarantee they are any safer than anything not marked GRAS.

Last edited by emilybh; 08-15-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Filling my refrigerator once set me back about 230 dollars, and this was only about 6 or so bags of groceries.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:19 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,101 times
it's like anywhere IMO. If you take advantage of sales and buy the larger packages of things you can come out about even over a month's time. I do prefer their produce and hot takeaway items...(their indian food is soooo good!)

Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Never heard that one, but it's pretty accurate.
First thing I saw was some discounted
Apple Cider (can't remember what size Jug) Big sign reduced from 17.99 to 12.99...
For that price, I'll go suck the juice from the tree
itself

Then I wandered over to get some Dubliner cheese which
was almost double what I could pay for it anywhere
else.

I left with a little bitty bag, bypassing practically everything I saw.
I felt somewhat foolish when I checked out with such a small treasure
but I felt compelled to have to buy something, just to experience the
"Who pays these kind of prices and what is wrong with them Tour"

It was also extremely cold and I mean cold. Must have
to be for the food spread at deli style area, but I really
needed a Parka and it wasn't winter.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,763 times
Yes it is, but in the Boston area many folks stand around and eat lots of free samples...so guess those folks lower their per cost per item. HF some variety, but at least in my area the quality is just marginal better than a typical grocery store. Not a big organic fan, and would prefer something like Fresh mkt any day.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:22 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,937 times
It is a bit higher, but you are getting better food. Fresh fruit and vegetables, you can tell the different between pesticide free and conventional. The meat is higher, but it is better. What we have done is eat smaller portions, because that is what we should be doing anyway.

I think it would be wise to take an inventory of empty foods in the home and replace them with good food, i.e., get rid of the chips, sodas, snacks, etc. and buy good grains, meat and vegetables. When you do that, your grocery bill is not so high.

What is the use of saving money only to pay later in medical bills? That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM

23,863 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
I guess this would be classified under "Other Controversies".
Only if you don't know how to categorize things. This thread is DEFINITELY off-topic for this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products