Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:38 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's expensive. It's simply public perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
I can only compare Whole Foods to Safeway and other grocery stores we have in Hawaii (Oahu). First of all, food and the cost of living on Oahu is quite high. The food at Safeway is expensive, but cost of food at Whole Foods is outrageous.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Is "Whole Paycheck" an unfair nickname? What's been your experience?
For me it varies. Meats and dairy are probably more expensive, especially going organic, but Ezekiel bread, Kashi cereal, forzen fruit and veggies, protein bars, etc. are all cheaper at Whole Foods than Safeway for me.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Interesting that this was posted, because I was just researching this yesterday. I have only been to Whole Foods once and it seemed outrageously high. However, yesterday I was in Super Target where I am able to get some organic foods (although selections are limited) and a lady was exclaiming over the high cost of organic grapes and that it was much higher than Whole Foods. She then said Whole Foods really isn't that expensive especially factoring in their house brands and sales.

I am going to give it another try and see for myself. I think the conclusion I am coming to about almost any grocery store is that some things will be very expensive and other things good deals, and this can vary from store to store; so depending on what one likes to buy, perceptions can vary. In the case of Whole Foods, they are selling mostly organic, or gourmet/organic, and many of their items would be the same cost anywhere. Frankly at Target the organic meat they do sell is almost the same price as WF.

I guess at the end of the day there is no one store that will satisfy all my grocery shopping. I don't necessarily shop for cheapest price, but I like good quality at best price. I have a lot of choices for shopping and the time to do it. However I guess if I could only pick one store it would be one of our fabulous local Publix stores - they carry such HUGE variety including organics, and the stores in my area are new and wonderful.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Its not fair to compare whole foods and other stores because your not comparing the same product most of the time. Just cause it's organic this or that does not mean its the same. How do you compare organic grapes when you know nothing of the true quality and production methds. All you have is the name "organics" and it's grapes. Well you have grilled hamburgers from McDonald and you have grilled hamburgers from In-N-Out, I don;t think anyone will say they are even comparable.

So when you go to a grocery store, look at the products that are the same such as the prepackaged brand name yeast, or prepackaged organic brand name cereal, or the natural sodas. I have compared the two using identical items and Kroger was the cheapest followed by Safeway, On some products even the local natural food store was a hair cheaper than Whole Foods.

What whole foods has is a variety that is similar to a supermarket so you have lots of choices and quality to choose from, but a Kashi, or Annies, or other natural/organic branded product at Kroger will be cheaper than that same product at Whole foods. But don;t take my word, just do the same comparrison shopping yourself as store pricing may vary by location, just make sure your comparing identical items to find out where their prices are.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
If you shop smart, You can get most of your groceries from Whole Foods without breaking the bank. My gf who made about 12 grand last year buys most of her food there and at farmer's markets. She buys non grocery items (cleansers, paper towels and the like) at discount stores and buys mainly non-processed, non-pre-prepared foods (i.e. plants and meat, no boxed foods) to achieve a balance.

The fact of the matter is quality food costs more. If you are willing to eat chemically laden slop to save money, all I can say is isn't the choice we have in America great?

P.S. although I also shop at Whole Foods now and then, I eat out a lot at better-than-fast-food but not-fine-dining because of my work hours. Now that is the way to overspend on your food budget.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:35 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Whole Foods is one of the greatest corporate scams going for the granola/lefty crowd

Absolutely true. Prices are often more than twice as high as Trader Joe's.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
I only go to Whole Foods for their brand name products - which are not expensive - or if I want something very specific that is hard to find elsewhere, or for items that have similar prices (in both WF and regular grocery stores) and WF's quality is better (it usually is).

I prefer Trader Joe's, a more inexpensive and very cool store.

They have a quirky, unusual feel I love and I often find great food from around the world - e.g. some "seasonal products" do not necessarily mean "typical holiday products" but rather "fruits and vegetables in season".

Old 08-28-2011, 11:33 PM

176 posts, read 357,370 times
Yes they are. But sometimes Safeway can be more expensive. I would say Kroger would be the least expensive, that is if you have your Kroger card.

Oh BTW, Houston: Kroger cards work at Rice Epicurean Markets.

Specs cards work at Albertsons.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:42 PM

176 posts, read 357,370 times
Default Re: Organics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Interesting that this was posted, because I was just researching this yesterday. I have only been to Whole Foods once and it seemed outrageously high. However, yesterday I was in Super Target where I am able to get some organic foods (although selections are limited) and a lady was exclaiming over the high cost of organic grapes and that it was much higher than Whole Foods. She then said Whole Foods really isn't that expensive especially factoring in their house brands and sales.

I am going to give it another try and see for myself. I think the conclusion I am coming to about almost any grocery store is that some things will be very expensive and other things good deals, and this can vary from store to store; so depending on what one likes to buy, perceptions can vary. In the case of Whole Foods, they are selling mostly organic, or gourmet/organic, and many of their items would be the same cost anywhere. Frankly at Target the organic meat they do sell is almost the same price as WF.

I guess at the end of the day there is no one store that will satisfy all my grocery shopping. I don't necessarily shop for cheapest price, but I like good quality at best price. I have a lot of choices for shopping and the time to do it. However I guess if I could only pick one store it would be one of our fabulous local Publix stores - they carry such HUGE variety including organics, and the stores in my area are new and wonderful.
I know for a fact that Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce sells for under $1.90 at some Targets (prices do vary by location) Randall's has theirs at $2.59 Whole Foods over $2. But for meat that is organic if they come from the same plant it is probally not logical to have that much of a price difference, and the only thing different is the label. It is not like they cut the meat themselves in the butcher block.

For example, say Organic Ground Beef is made by Doe and Doe in Midland, Tx. Doe and Doe have marketing arrangements with both Target and Whole Foods. Doe and Doe have to turn a profit, and because Doe and Doe doesn't take shortcuts it goes the natural way, Doe and Doe has to pass the costs on to you.

Lets say Con and Icon of Fort Myers, Florida sells organic ground beef, but only markets it to Publix and no where else. Con and Icon will sell the beef for less because they don't have as much of a overhead, or Publix gives them consessions for selling their product. Well, Con and Icon will make the product for less.

Marketing 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products