Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:00 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times

Advertisements

To the OP, do you feel guilty when you shop at a retail store since the delivery driver won't have work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 02:12 PM

995 posts, read 510,065 times
I don't feel guilty when I shop online, as I'm forced to do so due to the complete lack of availability in the stores. Anybody been to the electronic emporium Fry's lately? That place used to be so much fun, and a complete terror to my wallet. Boy, I used to have some ugly CC bills from going there. These days, it makes me want to cry, there's nothing there I want to get. The store is empty. If I want something, I have to know I want it in the first place and then get it online, since there's no store in town that's going to have it.

Shopping is a chore - the fun's been wrung right out of it. Good thing is, I'm probably saving $3000 to $5000 a year by not getting things because I see them in the shops and "have to have it." I hardly ever go to the malls, or big box retail - I get far more enjoyment just going for a walk on the nature trail.

I was in Australia recently (yes, that money I don't shop with goes right to travel...lol) and boy, that was an eye-opening experience. The malls there are like ours used to be in the 1980's - all kinds of awesome stores and incredible variety. They were packed too. Same thing with the shopping districts in the CBDs of the big cities. Fun, fun, fun.

America truly sucks when it comes to in-store shopping.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:07 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
I don't shop online that much. If I have to I make sure I know prices of buying locally verses online. I'm in an area with lots of stores so I can grab it much faster then waiting for online.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:40 PM

133 posts, read 173,792 times
Uhh now especially when it comes to buying music.
If I go to FYE ( or some other B&M music store) invariably there will be some stoner behind the counter that's never heard of what I'm looking for and doesn't bother looking.

Amazon likely has it and it's easy to find.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
I feel guilty (maybe stupid is more accurate) when I pay retail on something then notice it online for considerably less money.

The smart local shops have opened their own online inventory to keep up with the .com boom.
Smart, or maybe stupid. They are doing themselves in that way. I take the trouble of going in the store looking to buy something. I ask the salesperson, "Excuse me, where can I find Item X?" "Sorry, that's only available online." So why did I come here? I'll just start by going to an e-tailer and not bother coming to the store at all. They have to pay all the overhead for retail stores just to keep a lot of their stock online only, and many disgruntled customers stop shopping there and go elsewhere. Or even worse, they only offer sales online and customers have to pay more for the same item in-store. Kohl's is bad about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products