Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

One person doing it one time is not going to be a problem. But the policy is there to prevent it from becoming something that occurs more than once. Each time someone uses another persons card, it introduces an error in the system.

That's not the purpose of the card....

.... and as a result, you're completely wrong here.

Letting people use other's shopper's club cards completely destroys the system. Each time introduces error. Sharing shopper's club cards eliminates the usefulness of the system. There's a clear connection which you fail to see because you don't know why they have a shopper's club to begin with.

Jiawei Han PhD @ University of Illinois has some published work in this area that you should check out. You'll learn quite a bit and realize how silly your complaint is.
As a shopper, I couldn't care less if their data mining is corrupted. Like I said before, I just use a random phone number that often has good fuel rewards. I haven't seen my actual Kroger Plus Card in at least ten years and I'm sure I used a phony name, address, and telephone number to get it, so the telephone number wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 04:37 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,674 times
They would only ask for your license if you planned on cashing checks, all you had to do was say that was not going to be your intention. Problem solved. All the time you spent going back & forth with them, you could have already had it filled out and leaving.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Shop Rite IS a successful business. Your money your rules, fine. Their store, their rules. They won't miss your $100/month.

a hundred here and a hundred there, sooner or later those 100's will add up to some real money. money that wont be used to shop at shop rite.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
I frequent the following stores:

Shop Rite
Stop and Shop
Waldbaums (part of the A&P company)
PathMark

ALL of these stores will allow you to use the store's card if you don't have one or don't want to use yours. All of them (except Stop and Shop), you can ask the cashier to key in your phone number and your card info will come up.

I know one thing about the Shop Rite I go to (since it's my favorite store). It's not a good idea to let the person in front of you use your card. They only allow 4 of an item at the sale price. You can do multiple transactions of 4 but they have to be at different registers. Sooo, if the person in front of you buys 4 jars of Ragu at the sale price and you let them use your card and then you also have 4 jars of Ragu, you won't get the sale price.

I don't know why they do that but I think it's to deter the "extreme coupon" thing where people will come to the one register with 5 carts full of stuff and try to do 5 separate transactions of all the sale items. It's also to get you to come back to the store if you want a lot of a particular sale item.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Why not just go to the cheaper places you mentioned and save the stress it seems to cause you. Simple

Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
As a shopper, I couldn't care less if their data mining is corrupted. Like I said before, I just use a random phone number that often has good fuel rewards. I haven't seen my actual Kroger Plus Card in at least ten years and I'm sure I used a phony name, address, and telephone number to get it, so the telephone number wouldn't work.
The OP (and others) are complaining about the store's policies without understanding why they exist. The The system still works if you give them a fake name, address and phone number. They aren't trying to associate your behavior to your identity.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
What's funny is the op said she had no intention of shopping there much anyway

"They're close though, so I would have gone back when I needed stuff, although I would never do regular shopping there."

So, no intention of being a 'loyal' customer but wanting all the benefits given one anyway.
I'm sure they'll go out of business without her $6 a month

Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Another benefit of the shopper cards:

Shopper cards may save your life, food safety sleuths say - Vitals

Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Admittedly off topic as it is when people on C-D correct another posters spelling or Englis, which is something I do not do.
I still am alert when lack of proofreading shows up in supposedly professional writng.
From the link....this one is amusing.

". That’s when local health department officials called, seeking her shopper card numbers.
[LEFT]“They went to the hospital and they got her info,” says Erica Duerr, a nurse who had just given birth to her second child.They were actually able to track down where it came from.”"
[/LEFT]

Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 AM

13 posts, read 14,653 times
Quote:
The OP (and others) are complaining about the store's policies without understanding why they exist. The The system still works if you give them a fake name, address and phone number. They aren't trying to associate your behavior to your identity.
I think you do not understand the purpose of the policy. Your mind is stuck on data-mining and you think every store owners' is as well. The next time I'm in the Shop Rite in my area, i'm going to ask the manager the reason for their policy. But you'll probably just think, 'The manager doesn't really know.' Because you know more than he/she.

Again, and this simple to understand, if they put a phone number lookup in place, that helps the data-mining effort. If they have a store card they automatically use for those without a card, it would have no effect on data-mining - it would be the same as no card at all. So the reason has to be something other than data-mining.

Last edited by goingmyway123; 03-17-2013 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products