Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Entitlement mentality much?

You knew the rules when you walked in- sign up for the club card and pay sale prices, or don't sign up for the club card and pay regular prices. You don't like that policy? Then don't shop at Shop Rite.

The "idiots" who were just following store policy weren't making you late. You were, with your demand for special treatment.
Amen! Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 AM

137 posts, read 136,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingmyway123 View Post
I think you do not understand the purpose of the policy. Your mind is stuck on data-mining and you think every store owners' is as well. The next time I'm in the Shop Rite in my area, i'm going to ask the manager the reason for their policy. But you'll probably just think, 'The manager doesn't really know.' Because you know more than he/she.

Again, and this simple to understand, if they put a phone number lookup in place, that helps the data-mining effort. If they have a store card they automatically use for those without a card, it would have no effect on data-mining - it would be the same as no card at all. So the reason has to be something other than data-mining.
This is not true. If they have a store card that they use for people without a card, it removes the incentive to get a card and reduces the population. Data mining gets more accurate with increased population. However, one does not need to know data mining to realize this. Consider a statistics 101 course.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
As I was passing a bank the other day, I realized that I was short on cash, so I stopped in and asked the teller for $50.00
She told me that she could cash my check. When I explained that I didn't have an account with her bank, she told me that she couldn't just "give" me $50.00
I told her that I was in a hurry and she could just take it out of someone else's account.
She again refused and I asked to speak to the manager. Imagine my surprise when the manager himself told me that it was against their policy to hand out money without an account. I told him that it was against my policy to adhere to their policy and he could just fork over the $50 bucks.

Next thing I knew, I was surrounded by armed guards and hustled off to the pokey. You can bet I'm never going back to that bank!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM

271 posts, read 600,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
As I was passing a bank the other day, I realized that I was short on cash, so I stopped in and asked the teller for $50.00
She told me that she could cash my check. When I explained that I didn't have an account with her bank, she told me that she couldn't just "give" me $50.00
I told her that I was in a hurry and she could just take it out of someone else's account.
She again refused and I asked to speak to the manager. Imagine my surprise when the manager himself told me that it was against their policy to hand out money without an account. I told him that it was against my policy to adhere to their policy and he could just fork over the $50 bucks.

Next thing I knew, I was surrounded by armed guards and hustled off to the pokey. You can bet I'm never going back to that bank!
The nerve of them! I don't blame you for never going back there. Banks and their policies

Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

The abovd little scenario has nothing to do with the OP. He did not demand something for nothing, he was willing to pay for his groceries. Ok, it seemed like they wouldn't process the sale at any price without the club card.

Besides, many times cashiers will offer to swipe a store card if you don't have one. I've never asked them to do so, they just offer, so I can see where the OP thought perhaps that was an option.

I think the OP is just trying to say it works both ways---store clerks can judge you, but you can't judge them

Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
It's amazing the state of stress some people work themselves up into.

OP, you have valid points but the whole "I'm higher up on the food chain" is a shameful comment to make. I'm glad those poor lowly workers won't have to deal with you anymore.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,053 times
Are you people serious? everyone went off on a wild tangent even the OP at a point.. and it's crazy that this is still open for posting 2 years later lol... but since it is i must comment. I have never been in a shoprite and experienced a situation like this before. They ask if I have my card I say no, they simply scan a card at the register. Like the OP said it's about making the customer happy. This is not a paid membership, this is a free membership so why not appease the customer. Maybe the OP has come off as a bit of a jerk due to frustration, but we are too readily willing to give out too much of our personal information for free. And i must tell you ... when you give out your /name/address/phone number/etc trust and believe that there are several things happening. You are being categorized, your transactions are being logged, and your information is being used/sold.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeksRul3 View Post
Maybe the OP has come off as a bit of a jerk
This is an understatement. The higher up on the foodchain bit certified the OP as something...

Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is an understatement. The higher up on the foodchain bit certified the OP as something...
Ain't that the truth.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeksRul3 View Post
Are you people serious? everyone went off on a wild tangent even the OP at a point.. and it's crazy that this is still open for posting 2 years later lol... but since it is i must comment. I have never been in a shoprite and experienced a situation like this before. They ask if I have my card I say no, they simply scan a card at the register. Like the OP said it's about making the customer happy. This is not a paid membership, this is a free membership so why not appease the customer. Maybe the OP has come off as a bit of a jerk due to frustration, but we are too readily willing to give out too much of our personal information for free. And i must tell you ... when you give out your /name/address/phone number/etc trust and believe that there are several things happening. You are being categorized, your transactions are being logged, and your information is being used/sold.
And why should we care? They don't personally look at your purchases and judge your every shopping decision. It's simply used for marketing purposes and much of the data collected is simply analyzed on an aggregate level. I don't understand what the issue is tbh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products