Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

yep; they expect some to act like Op but it draw others which is what their after; plian and simple. Store clerk went home and told the story of her crazy customer and they all laughed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,200 times
I love shoprite!!

Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 AM

13 posts, read 14,645 times
Quote:
This is not true. If they have a store card that they use for people without a card, it removes the incentive to get a card and reduces the population
It does not remove the incentive -- there are plenty of incentives for getting a card, such as free holiday hams and turkeys and various other freebies that you can't get without a card. I'll concede that it may lessen the incentive, but I still don't think that data-mining is the reason Shop Rite has this policy. I'd bet it's because of the money it saves them.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:10 PM

13 posts, read 14,645 times
And to add one more thing......in my shopping experience, Shop Rite is the ONLY supermarket with this customer-unfriendly policy.

I do most of my shopping at Stop and Shop. They give me 1 point for every dollar I spend. Every week certain items are 2x points and sometimes more. And for every 100 points, I get 10 cents off per gallon of gas for my car. Now THAT'S an incentive for using a card. And if I don't have my card on me, which happens when one of my kids drives me and I don't think to take my car keys (where my cards are on the keyring), they not only let me use a store card, but they let me bring in the receipt at a later date with my card and credit the points to my card.

In short, this Shop Rite policy just plain stinks. I don't think there is any good defense of it in the long run-- least of all data-mining. Statistics be damned.

You know what they say about statistics? Torture numbers long enough and they'll admit to anything.

Last edited by goingmyway123; 09-21-2013 at 06:32 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I know one thing about the Shop Rite I go to (since it's my favorite store). It's not a good idea to let the person in front of you use your card. They only allow 4 of an item at the sale price. You can do multiple transactions of 4 but they have to be at different registers. Sooo, if the person in front of you buys 4 jars of Ragu at the sale price and you let them use your card and then you also have 4 jars of Ragu, you won't get the sale price.
^^^^^^This.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:06 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I just went to Shop-Rong for the first time this morning. It's a new, privately owned store that only opened about 2 or 3 weeks ago in my area.

I walked through the store, and wasn't impressed by the pricing at all. In fact, they're higher than most other chains in the area. I said to myself "You're already here, just buy what you need."

They're close though, so I would have gone back when I needed stuff, although I would never do regular shopping there.

Anyway, I got to the checkout. "Do you have a price plus club card?"

"No, I haven't signed up for one yet. Please just use yours or whatever one you have and I'll get it next time, I'm in a hurry today. Thanks"

Now I already have one of these stupid cards for every store in the area. I've used my spare keys without the cards on the ring, and have purchased without a card before. They just use theirs.

No, these clowns demanded I sign up for one. They asked for my license. There is no way in hell I give my license or any other personal documentation to anyone to walk away with. So I said "No, just use whatever card, thank you."

So the head cashier comes over, and says that can't be done, and they'll get terminated if they do that."

So I said "Ok, let me be perfectly clear. Run another card, or I'm going to leave these groceries here and walk out. Do you understand?"

They refused, and asked "Ok, fine, can I just leave this stuff here?" She said "Yes".........and I walked out.

First off, these stupid cards, at THIS store anyway, only bring the price down to what everyone else is charging without a card. They had nothing special for sale.

Second, if you're a new store, that doesn't have other stores in the area, you have to know that nobody has a card. Some customers will want to take the time, others wont. The smart thing to do is make the exception, and retain the customer.

Third, I am gone now. I will never, under any circumstance, patronize that Shop-Rite, or any other Shop-Rite store ever again. Not a huge loss for them, since they suck, but I would've spent an average of $100 a month there given the location.

Do not give me an ultimatum, ever, when I am the customer and you are the merchant. You will always lose. Because I will not reward bad behavior by giving you my money. Insist on the card, and I'll insist on the door. I'm not going to pay full price (a penalty) because I forgot it or didn't want to waste 5 minutes out of my day to sign up for it.

Now I ask you, do you think I was I wrong in walking out, or should I have handed my license over to some minimum wage dolt to walk away with?
Would it have mattered if the person makes $25/hour instead of minimum wage?? And they don't "walk away" with your license. You fill out the application then and there. The reason for the driver license is so that one person doesn't sign up for multiple cards AND so you can use checks there.

As far as their prices being higher? Bull. Shop Rite has notoriously lower prices than other stores. When they're doing a "grand opening", the prices are rock bottom in that store as well as other stores in the general area. The "grand opening celebration" usually lasts 4-6 weeks.

I find it hard to believe that they "demanded" you sign up for a card. If you don't want to sign up for the card, don't sign up and don't get the "price plus" discounts. It's that simple. You didn't want to sign up for the card but you wanted the discounts. Hmmm.

It takes you FIVE MINUTES to write down your name, address, and phone number??? Wow. I think I can do that in less than 45 seconds. Can't imagine taking FIVE MINUTES to do something so simple!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 737 times
My daughter works at Shoprite and they will be fired for using their card or letting shoppers use someone else's card. It is store policy.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
I never shop at any store that has any type of club card. They have those card systems, so they can keep a record of everything you buy and target you with junk mail that's focused on your buying habits. Don't believe it if they tell you they won't share your information. If you apply for a job, unscrupulous investigators may get access to your buying history. If you were a politician, how would you like your opponents to be able to buy and make that information about you public?

Old 07-15-2017, 02:13 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I never shop at any store that has any type of club card. They have those card systems, so they can keep a record of everything you buy and target you with junk mail that's focused on your buying habits. Don't believe it if they tell you they won't share your information. If you apply for a job, unscrupulous investigators may get access to your buying history. If you were a politician, how would you like your opponents to be able to buy and make that information about you public?
Different stores have different gimmicks because they all have to stay in business. We shop at Shop-Rite and have no problems or even feel that they sell/share information with other stores. We have another chain by us that pushes buy one, get one free and we feel that we pay far more at those stores than we do at Shop-Rite.

Almost all stores like to pass out coupons at the end; when you pay. Of course they are counting on us forgetting about those coupons when we come back. If they really wanted us to save money they would pass out the coupons when we came into the store.

One service I do like with the club cards at Shop-Rite and some other chains is allowing us to load the coupons to our club cards off their weekly fliers: ShopRite Weekly Circular. All you have to do is login and go to their coupons. It makes coupons easier.

Once you have a club card you really do not need it because they allow you to simply give your phone number.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:13 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Different stores have different gimmicks because they all have to stay in business. We shop at Shop-Rite and have no problems or even feel that they sell/share information with other stores. We have another chain by us that pushes buy one, get one free and we feel that we pay far more at those stores than we do at Shop-Rite.

Almost all stores like to pass out coupons at the end; when you pay. Of course they are counting on us forgetting about those coupons when we come back. If they really wanted us to save money they would pass out the coupons when we came into the store.

One service I do like with the club cards at Shop-Rite and some other chains is allowing us to load the coupons to our club cards off their weekly fliers: ShopRite Weekly Circular. All you have to do is login and go to their coupons. It makes coupons easier.

Once you have a club card you really do not need it because they allow you to simply give your phone number.
That would be difficult as a good many of those catalina coupons are manufaturer sponsored coupons, not store sponsored coupons, triggered at the register when you buy that particular manufacuteres product. That is their incentive to get you to buy more of their product.
Store coupons aren't given out in the hope that you forget them, they are given out hoping you make an extra trip (the more often you come in the store the more you spend with them), or hoping that you choose to come back to that store instead of a competitors.
I don't want to burst any bubbles but the only reason a store would care whether a customer saved money would be so that the money saved could be spent on other mdse they sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products