Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:29 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times

Advertisements

And then there is this pepper spray incident at a local Wal-Mart here in Los Angeles:

Early-bird Black Friday turns ugly with 'shopping rage' incident - latimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Looks like we already have a violent exchange.

Black Friday fight leads to shooting in North Carolina | WHAS11.com Louisville (http://www.whas11.com/news/Black-Friday-fight-leads-to-shooting-in-North-Carolina-134485738.html - broken link)

Shots fired in Fayetteville NC mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 11:21 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I didnt go until around 2 pm and it was just to get groceries. None of us wanted turkey leftovers. I went to Sam's club and it was dead. They had a lot of good deals still in the TV dept. Plenty of tv's too. No need to knock anyone out.

I have done a few black friday sales and found them to be stressful. I didnt see anything this year that made me want to go out. Also I have a retail background and know how black friday sales work. Its outdated merchandise or SKU number changes. Its a very limited supply and the company need to get the items out of inventory. Not every store has the item. I worked at a store that advertised a certain video game and we didnt have any in stock. The managers instructed us to just say they sold out. One of my in-laws' kids actually camped out at one of the stores this year and was one of the first to obtain a ticket for a item on sale. He didnt need or want the item but took a ticket anyway because he thought he would try and sell it to someone in the store. An undercover cop caught him and told him he could be arrested. Too bad he wasn't. What a crappy thing to do. If you aren't going to use the ticket then just give it to someone that wants it. This is the kind of stuff that irritates me about Christmas season. Too many dill weeds.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
And then there is this pepper spray incident at a local Wal-Mart here in Los Angeles:

Early-bird Black Friday turns ugly with 'shopping rage' incident - latimes.com
Where I live now I was shocked at how the Walmart handles black friday. I went last year and was in awe. As much as I don't like guns, I think they got the right idea. My local walmart hires police officers to work during the sale. There are more cops in that store than in an Rambo movie. Very orderly conduct from everyone. The store has cops in uniform as well as undercover. No rushing of the doors, no snatch and grab going on. The police also patrol the parking lot so customers aren't faced with anything once they leave the store. I was impressed considering I had worked at a Walmart in another state and it was no where near as organized. I tried like hell never to work black friday. One year I couldnt get out of it and it was pretty damn scary that first hour. The crowds acted like animals. It must be up to individual management but the manager at my local walmart apparently doesn't mess around. Even my mother said she had never been to a walmart that organized, well behaved and full of cops. Pretty sad though when you think about it, that having police patrol is required for people to behave while christmas shopping!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:11 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I didnt go until around 2 pm and it was just to get groceries. None of us wanted turkey leftovers. I went to Sam's club and it was dead. They had a lot of good deals still in the TV dept. Plenty of tv's too. No need to knock anyone out.

I have done a few black friday sales and found them to be stressful. I didnt see anything this year that made me want to go out. Also I have a retail background and know how black friday sales work. Its outdated merchandise or SKU number changes. Its a very limited supply and the company need to get the items out of inventory. Not every store has the item. I worked at a store that advertised a certain video game and we didnt have any in stock. The managers instructed us to just say they sold out. One of my in-laws' kids actually camped out at one of the stores this year and was one of the first to obtain a ticket for a item on sale. He didnt need or want the item but took a ticket anyway because he thought he would try and sell it to someone in the store. An undercover cop caught him and told him he could be arrested. Too bad he wasn't. What a crappy thing to do. If you aren't going to use the ticket then just give it to someone that wants it. This is the kind of stuff that irritates me about Christmas season. Too many dill weeds.
I worked retail for a bit and noticed that about the big cheap TVs. I also had my mom get three 32 in TVs for $1200 back in 07. Now these TVs are actually made in Korea and mostly sold on military property in South Korea and they do not have a good rep. I've been lucky mine didnt blast.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I worked retail for a bit and noticed that about the big cheap TVs. I also had my mom get three 32 in TVs for $1200 back in 07. Now these TVs are actually made in Korea and mostly sold on military property in South Korea and they do not have a good rep. I've been lucky mine didnt blast.
Ugh...Dont get me started on TV's. A few years ago my husband wanted the new Sony Bravia TV. It was a big splurge. About 6 months ago the screen started showing double images. I did some research on the internet and it turns out I am not the only one. The tv's were made with defective screens. Sony finally recognized the issue but only would cover the repair on the 50 in. We have the 40. I pleaded with Sony to repair mine as I had talked to several repair companies and all of them said it is an issue in the 40 in. as well. Sony said no and it makes me sick that we spent that kind of money on that tv. After writing letters contacting higher level people, I was finally offered a voucher for a tv. Sony offered me a new tv for 750 dollars. They gave me the model number. At first I was kind of excited thinking what they were offering me was a deal and on the same level as the tv I currently own. I did a model search and you can buy that particular model all day long for 729.00. Gee, thanks Sony, you sell me a defective product and try to make amends by offering a new tv at above retail. I will never pay that much for a tv again and it won't be a Sony.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Officially many retailers are opening Thursday night for Black Friday. I will not name names, if you want to go you already know to which ones I am referring.

That being said, I like BLack Friday and I like getting up early and MAYBE getting a few good deals (Which are already on Amazon and other online stores)

BUT I do not like Thanksgiving being turned into a day to prepare for the commercialization of Christimas, which started back in October anyways ....

SO after perusing the ads, there is nothing for which I am so in need or so broke that I must get up and try to get at 10PM on Thursday Night.

I enjoy Thanksgiving and always have for what it is: A quiet day of good food and little stress. I choose to keep it that way.
I don't know if you've noticed or not but they have started calling thanksgiving "turkey day."

Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,318 times
All Employees should have called in sick on Thanksgiving. Then showed up for black friday morning. Are the stores really gonna fire all the employees and try to hire/train new ones in 6+ hours?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:04 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
I stopped by Walmart at about 9 AM Friday morning. Long story how I ended up there, but I asked if they had any of the $39 bikes left from 10pm the night before. Was told by an assistant manager "NO those are gone" 15 minutes later walked out with 2 20 inch Cobra Bikes for $39 as advertised in the ad. Guess I just had to find the right employee to find them for me

People were still getting cvhepa TVs video games Etc I had to resist temptation not to buy stuff I did not want or need jsut because it was cheap. Black Friday inspires a lot of that in people....

Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 AM

237 posts, read 499,413 times
Best Buy pulled the scam this year on their 55" Samsung LED for $999. The model they were selling was the 6003 model and not the 6000. They list the 6003 as a "Best Buy Exclusive" as if that's a good thing. Unsuspecting custommers thought they were getting a deal, when all they got was a cheaper, crippled version that was passed off as the real thing.

A deal is a deal, but if you are going to mislead people about it, then you can drop to a knee and smile like a donut.

j

Old 12-01-2011, 11:41 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
I have to wonder how many C-D posters venture 10 feet or more away from their computers at any one time. Black Friday is nothing new but so many act "surprised" at it every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products