Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 04:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nice you have that option... many of us don't.
The best alternative for saving money is to buy it at the duty-free shops at the airport. Everytime you travel abroad, stock up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The best alternative for saving money is to buy it at the duty-free shops at the airport. Everytime you travel abroad, stock up.

Better yet, if your in another country and like their wine or whatever...go to a local grocery store, it's always cheaper than the duty free store and unless you have a direct flight, it has to be in a checked bag anyway.

I do this all the time, haven't lost a bottle yet and I've never paid duty.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Or until the guy orders the wine only to discover that it cannot be shipped to his state.
or, if it does ship to his state but the delivery guy snaps just as he gets to the guy's door and beats him to death with the bottle of wine he saved $2 on. How's that for irony? Mr. Nasty Consumer wino-guy.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Was in a liquor store tonight and 2 guys were looking at bottles of wine.
One had a smart phone and he looked up the price on online and found the bottle for $10.
He went to the counter and said this is $10 right?
The cashier checked and it came up $12.
The guys walked out.
Obviously the guy has no clue about business he just felt he was getting "ripped off'.
Damn,get a life pal..
I disagree. I don't think your conclusion is obvious at all. I comparison shop often. I do it on line and if I am in the mall I sometimes view like merchandise from several shops before I choose which best suits my criteria for functionality and price.

That, to me, is knowing about business.

Just walking into a shop and paying whatever they may be asking is bad business. It is up to the store to price their wares competitively. Perhaps they did not know much about business.

I will pay a premium for good service, though, and for convenience. If there is a local wine and spirits store that can give me good advice, sort through all their wares and recommend things suitable to my needs, I think that is worth a lot and should be paid extra for. You cannot usually get that sort of service online.

I also shop local and have never been disappointed for large appliances (tv, refrigerator, washers, etc). Local stores often have much more responsible and intelligent installers and they stand by the products they sell and either service them or give good recommendations of local service people. That is invaluable, when compared to some of the horror stories I have heard of both faulty appliances and unscrupulous repair men.

Last edited by goldengrain; 01-09-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 12:19 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, my apologies.
Not advertised online, as in this is our weekly instore ad that you can view online.
From the dotcom site you order from, a seperate entity from the brick and mortar stores.
The dotcom has just one price no matter if you live in NYC or in Nowheresville OK, whereas the brick and mortar stores have different pricing according to locale.

We offer a ton of products on our dotcom site that we don't offer in stores at all, but some of the products overlap. Sometimes the instore prices are higher than the online price, and the dotcom site specifically states the price is available only for online orders.
Yet we have customers come come to the store and get angry that A: we don't carry that product they saw online, or B: we have a price different than the ONLINE special.
They don't seem to grasp the difference between shopping online and shopping at the store, as if it's all the same.

And it's not just us. Last C'mas my daughter and I went to Best Buy to look at a hard drive she saw online for a really good price.
The store had it for about $30 more than the online price and they don't price match their online prices (most places don't from what I've seen) either.
So we took out her cellphone while we were in Best Buy and ordered the hard drive from the online site for instore delivery.
We went to lunch and finished our shopping and by the time we got done the hard drive was at the store and ready for us to pick up, $30 less than if we had just picked one up from the shelf and carried it to the register.
I won't argue that it makes much sense, but that is how a lot of stores do business now.
We do both on line and in store shopping at B&H in New York and their prices are the same in both venues. They have also matched prices with those of competitors in the odd case where their product is marked up higher.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
The wine may be cheaper online even after shipping costs are factored in.
But I doubt you'll get it in time for dinner that evening.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:53 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The wine may be cheaper online even after shipping costs are factored in.
But I doubt you'll get it in time for dinner that evening.
That's why you keep the stock flowing through the cellar. Restock before you run out.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM

532 posts, read 1,465,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I disagree. I don't think your conclusion is obvious at all. I comparison shop often. I do it on line and if I am in the mall I sometimes view like merchandise from several shops before I choose which best suits my criteria for functionality and price.

That, to me, is knowing about business.

Just walking into a shop and paying whatever they may be asking is bad business. It is up to the store to price their wares competitively. Perhaps they did not know much about business.

I will pay a premium for good service, though, and for convenience. If there is a local wine and spirits store that can give me good advice, sort through all their wares and recommend things suitable to my needs, I think that is worth a lot and should be paid extra for. You cannot usually get that sort of service online.

I also shop local and have never been disappointed for large appliances (tv, refrigerator, washers, etc). Local stores often have much more responsible and intelligent installers and they stand by the products they sell and either service them or give good recommendations of local service people. That is invaluable, when compared to some of the horror stories I have heard of both faulty appliances and unscrupulous repair men.
The ridiculous part was since it was $10 online he assumed it should be $10 in the store. More than likely his reasoning was every store in the USA
should sell that bottle of wine for the same price as the cheapest price found online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products