Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 01:42 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

I thought maybe I'd buy one for my 87 yr old mother. She lives alone in her ranch and spends a lot of time tryting to maintain her old standards of cleanliness. Hardwood, linoleum, low nap carpet. I thought it would help.
I had seen models previously for around 300.00 or a little less.
Well the new 780 is 600.00! I actually emailed iRobert and asked which model would do. No pets, its not like there is a lot of dirt. I did say I wanted a simple set up operation. They of course recommended the 780 and I'm wondering if its because of the virtual wall thing.
Anyone have any of the cheaper models? Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 01:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
I'd be leery of giving it to an elderly person. They are a bit unstable when getting around and I'd be scared they would step on it or trip over it.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:40 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I'm pretty sure she would be able to get to a chair while its vacuuming. They aren't that strong and she uses a walker and slides her feet.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:10 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I had a Roomba a few years ago. It worked very well on hardwood floors but not on carpet. They sweep well but don't have the vacuum power to do a good job on carpet. If you have a majority of non carpet surfaces I would recommend them. They will run into objects including people but the touch is so slight I don't think it would be a safety hazard for a senior. However, anything left on the floor can be a trip hazard. All seniors age differently and you have to decide if your mother would be OK with a Roomba.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:28 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Our son has one and he loves it. I personally hope I am getting one for Christmas. He turns it on at night before he goes to bed and it does its job and goes back to its home when finished. Just make sure you pick up socks before starting. Roomba's love eating socks.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I'm 65 and partially disabled from a stroke. I cant use a regular vacuum so Roombas have been a blessing for me.

I have a lot of Roombas (one is too many and a dozen wouldnt be enough for us addicts) from the basics to the most expensive -- and, believe me, the 400 / 4000 Discovery models work better than the newer, fancier models.

I've bought a few Roombas from the iRobot site. But then I got smart and started buying them on eBay. Most of the ones I've bought on eBay were refurbished but they worked right out of the box just as well as the new ones. I also buy the batteries and other supplies on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...4&_sop=1&_sc=1

If you're nervous about buying on eBay, you can also check out Roombas on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_sc...rnid=386465011

I ended up with a lot of "walls" but never use them. They might be useful if you want to vacuum only a portion of a room. Instead, I just close a door or put a chair or rolled-up area rug in the doorway. The Roombas are very respectful of objects like that.

Edited to add that the above searches are my own. You may be able to find better deals using other search terms. You can also google BUY ROOMBAS and find some good deals at sites other than iRobot.

Edited to add, also, that the older models seem to be easier to change out the batteries than the newer ones. I like the Discovery models and older ones where you just turn the Roomba over and flip out the old battery. Too, if you buy on eBay, be sure to look for sellers with a 99+% rating. I've been buying on eBay for 12 years (4,000 purchases) , dealing only with sellers who have that kind of rating (98% is not good, in my opinion) and havent had a bad purchase.

Last edited by TFW46; 12-22-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I had a Roomba a few years ago. It worked very well on hardwood floors but not on carpet. They sweep well but don't have the vacuum power to do a good job on carpet. If you have a majority of non carpet surfaces I would recommend them. They will run into objects including people but the touch is so slight I don't think it would be a safety hazard for a senior. However, anything left on the floor can be a trip hazard. All seniors age differently and you have to decide if your mother would be OK with a Roomba.
This is perfectly stated. I got one for Christmas a few years ago. It sits in the closet and is almost never used. We pulled it out the other day because our entire first floor is hardwood, but I didn't like how it kept knocking into the furniture.

It's not worth the price. For that kind of money, I'd much rather receive a gift certificate for a weekly cleaning service. I'd think particularly older folks would love the gift of a cleaning service~ especially one that's licensed and bonded, or one personally checked out by the giver ~ or recommended by a mutual friend or relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products