Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 02:30 PM

17 posts, read 233,201 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a 27.5" monitor from PC Connection.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the monitor's panel, or if there is something about the technology used in this model, but I am finding I cannot use it, because I am getting severe headaches and dizziness every time I sit before it--something I have not experienced with previous LCDs. Deciding I should return the monitor, I went to look for information on the return process on the seller's site, and was surprised to find the following:

"Final Sale of Certain Products

In addition to manufacturer restrictions, the following products are final sale items and are not returnable to PC Connection for refund or exchange for any reason:

Specific Products:
Custom configured products, Special ordered products, LCD/DLP projectors, Opened software, Hard drives, and TVs/Monitors over 27""

I did not realize it was possible or legal to do this. Someone had once told me there were laws that required mail order sellers to uphold a 30 day return policy. Obviously, that is not the case, if this company can legally refuse returns of certain items for any reason at all (which, as I understand it, means not even defective merchandise in those categories can be returned).

I'm wondering if anyone has ever encountered a situation like this before when purchasing mail order? Would appreciate any advice on what might be my best course of action under the circumstances.

Thanks

Last edited by swerl; 12-22-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
I think the rules are that if a store does not have a return policy they are required to honor a 30 day policy. If they have a return policy thats the policy. Since they had a policy (even if you didn't read it) that policy is legal. In no case can they refuse a defective or "product not as portrayed" return. You will need to send the unit back as a defective item but keep in mind if they find nothing defectrive, your still on the hook.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:04 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
You've purchased a 28" monitor and you are sitting too close to it. You should be sitting approx. 3 feet from the screen.

As to why the return policy for large screens. Its because of years af abuse of return policies by people who "rented" a monitor for a few days, stayed within the return policy, to do a project and returned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products