Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,436,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with staff getting first choice on donations ... as long as they paid for the items.
This is exactly why some regions will not allow their staff to purchase. Donations are to go to the floor first, but they weren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,436,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
In most regions it comes back to the regional distribution center and put into a baling machine. Then the bales are sold to a recycler.

Outlets generally are located at regional distribution. Its the last stop and sold by the pound.

Whether bales are sold to recyclers or sent to third world countries depends on the region.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 27,499 times
yes they take home

Old 09-06-2015, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 26,941 times
This is not true, i been hired by good will a month ago, and in order to be hire by Goodwill you have to read and sign thier policy, and the first thing on that policy is that you or any of your first blood reletive like your mom, sister, wife, your children, can not shop from the store that you work at, and if they find out about it, you are automaticly fire.also if you want to shop from diffrent store, you have to let the cashier know to call the manager to ring your stuff also you have to show them your batch so they can record your info and the items that you purchasing, also you can purchase the new item that just been out on sale floor(color of tag) need to be a week old. Trust me whatever i said is trut and there is no reason for me to lie, i never shoped at Goodwill and i am not going to, but whatever i said is the trut.
One more thing even employee can not let the customers to shop from cart when they are fillling the shelfs, the item need to go on shelf so everyone get the chance to see it then you can take it from shelf. Also they don't let us to put an item on a side for Customer that still is not done and still shopping , they need to pay for it or we have to put it back (like jewellery and items that we have in glass cases by registers).

Old 09-09-2015, 06:49 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,815,937 times
This is an old thread, but since I've been volunteering at a local charity thrift store for the past year, I'll jump in.

Yes, we get first dibs on the merchandise. We also work very hard for the charity, unloading cars, sorting donations, and restocking shelves. We do pay for everything though, and while some of the paid employees working the register will cut us a break, most do not. The opinion of the board is that they really don't care who buys the donations, they are more interested in the resulting dollars to fund the food bank, housing assistance, ESL outreach, etc.

The biggest infraction there would be to help yourself to something in the food pantry. I won't even take a bottled water. I also won't take clothing. This thrift store supplies everybody who qualifies with two complete outfits per month. I don't need free clothing, and I won't take it from somebody who does. But the only items that make it to the store racks are clean and in good condition. Maybe not designer names, but very current and wearable.

Goodwill has gotten a very bad rap lately. They've raised their prices well above what other local thrifts are charging, and the salary levels of the executives there are well known to be high.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 26,575 times
What if it is a manager that takes half of the donations that people bring in, what can u do then!

Old 04-06-2016, 04:48 PM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejo12 View Post
What if it is a manager that takes half of the donations that people bring in, what can u do then!
Why do you care about what happens to the stuff you no longer want???

Old 05-02-2016, 03:12 PM

924 posts, read 744,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
This is exactly why some regions will not allow their staff to purchase. Donations are to go to the floor first, but they weren't.
The library system I work in has a similar policy when it comes to donations - staff members are allowed to buy those items from the "Library Friends sales shelves", but we're supposed to wait until our volunteers have gone through the donations and put them out for customers.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 PM

902 posts, read 1,092,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with staff getting first choice on donations ... as long as they paid for the items.
yes.... but the staff are responsible for pricing the items

oh a gold Rolex, hmmm let's see... $5.00... hey boss? I'm gonna go ahead and buy this item lol

Old 05-02-2016, 04:19 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,799,507 times
When i volunteered at St Vincent De Paul years ago, if a donation came in, you had first dibs for it and could take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products