U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,534,267 times

Advertisements

The other day, I watched a reality tv show where two people would compete to see who could save the most money at the grocery store. Each person had to purchase at least $500 worth of food. At the checkout, they would each present a stack of actual coupons for the items they purchased. After the discounts, one constestant ended up paying only a couple dollars. The other contestant had nothing to pay; the groceries ended up being totally free. Supposedly, this method can actually work in real life. But how?? I have never seen coupons for free groceries, or even coming close to free. How in the heck is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,704,469 times
It is a very involved and expensive process. They go into details about HOW on the show.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM

13,527 posts, read 26,040,908 times
I use lots of coupons when I go grocery shopping, and I've never gotten all my groceries for free. Like Pitt Chick said, it's a very involved and expensive process, and probably very expensive. I normally get $20-$40 off of my grocery bill, and once in a while a a little more, but rarely.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,239,079 times
I try to post some of the ways to get a variety of free stuff in the other forum.

Here is an easy to follow Example:
Quote:
2 FREE Robitussin To Go Packs at Walmart (in store/coupon deal)

Buy (2)Robitussin To Go (2-Pack) – $1

Use: (1) $3/2 off Robitussin Printable Coupon

2 FREE after coupon!!
Or you can do the same for a whole variety of items...this happens to be the current list from CVS:
//www.city-data.com/forum/deals...-1-22-1-a.html

It takes some time, but I can go in and for less than $10, I can easily get $40-$50 worth of merchandise.
Unlike the people who actually store up products, I only buy what I actually want or need. It takes a little time, but it is totally worth it.

If you ever have any questions or need help, feel free to ask.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,645,817 times
I've seen this show as well. It got me worried that if everybody began doing it, then stores would stop offering coupons, since it's not particularly viable for stores if all or even most customers get all their items for free.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 AM

11,367 posts, read 14,988,091 times
A lot of the stuff is non food items or junk food.
At least one of the shoppers on a popular show has been accused of committing coupon fraud in order to reduce her total so drastically.
Some stores have admitted waiving their regular rules for the taping of these shows.
Stores allow coupon overages to be credited towards the rest of the purchase in some areas of the country, but not in others.
Last but not least, yes, stores have been tightening up or changing the way they allow coupons to be used because of these shows. I know of stores that have changed policies on coupon usage, and the chain I work for is putting in new register software that is supposed to thwart some of the misuse of coupons.

Having said all that it is still nice to be able to get a lot of household and personal care items for free, or close to it, like GloryB posts.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 AM

51 posts, read 200,101 times
I watched one of these shows where they actually explained how to use the coupons to get free groceries. The whole thing looked bogus to me. Around here stores don't offer double coupons, they won't let you use multiple coupons for the same product, they won't let you use more than one of the same coupon even if you have a product for each coupon. Most stores around here are unbelievably strict about coupons.

I also noticed that on many of these shows, people appear to be buying products they normally would not use. They only seem to be buying the product because they have a coupon. I don't shop that way, ever. What in the heck is the point of getting free or reduced cost stuff if you're not going to use it? It sounds like some of these people may have some sort of shopping addiction. I buy what I need and only if it's at a reasonable price. Many times I'll go without something if I don't like the price. I also usually only buy generic products because even if I used a coupon for the brand name products they would still be more expensive.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,312,049 times
I am waiting for this show to turn into "Hoarders: Extreme Couponing Edition." seriously, who needs that much stuff just because they can get it for cheap?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,645,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletneon View Post
I am waiting for this show to turn into "Hoarders: Extreme Couponing Edition." seriously, who needs that much stuff just because they can get it for cheap?
I'd buy stuff from them if they discounted it. Some of those stockpile rooms looked like general stores.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,257,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletneon View Post
Thats the whole thing, its not about getting it for the lowest price, its about getting as much as possible for as little as possibe, with the target to be as close to free as you can get. It's not a savy shopping thing, its a mental illness addiction in many of their cases. if you look long and hard you see them passing up the staple items for the coupon only items. really who needs 78 bottles of Just For men Hair color, or 42 cans of Bed Sores Cream? They aren;t buying for what is needed, its an addiction to buy whatever it may be and get it for as little as possible or free.

its actually disgusting to see what otherwise would be viewed as a serious mental illness portrayed as a carnival game show......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products